Goodbye Catalyst Control Center – Hello Radeon Software Crimson Edition!

I'm not going to try and tell you to keep those cards as I can certainly understand frustration with a product. But when I go read the NVidia section I see so many problems with SLi. Nagging annoying issues. Then I see some people post that their SLi setup works and so there has to be something wrong with the guy's system that is having problems.

If I were you, I'd wait for Pascal to come out and upgrade. I would say wait for AMD and NVidia to release their new lineup, but I understand your frustration with AMD products. The NVidia drivers don't seem like the champions of DX12 yet. For some people it seems that they are more akin to Alpha bug patches, than drivers. Of course NVidia has tons of money to toss at the problem. It does seem that they aren't having good results with DX12 so far. Maybe their eggs are in the Pascal basket?

Just something to think about before you upgrade. Now if money is no problem then certainly do it. The 980ti is a BEAST of a card. You will certainly be happy with a really strong single card solution. SLi? Jury's out on that one due to less than optimal scaling and other issues.

No I don't have CrossfireX or SLi. I value my single card solutions more as they simply work without many headaches.

To be honest the biggest reason I want to upgrade is hdmi 2.0. I play on a 4k TV and Amd solutions don't cut it for that. It really sucks though because Nvidia obviously has more money than AMD which means they can afford to throw more money at problems which means their drivers should obviously be better than AMD. It's a sucky spot for AMD to be in.

Then don't whine and complain when you have to pony up dough for your game ready drivers.

the hell are you talking about? you sound like a fanboy.

2010: AMD

“Our **monthly** ATI Catalyst driver updates further illustrate that commitment as we focus on continually enabling greater performance, even more rock solid stability, and intuitive, innovative features.”

Looking for any freesync related goodness. Frame doubling on low FPS to have Freesync enabled on less than 30FPS would be a good driver feature!

People forgot that those large buttons are live tiles ;). Metro coming alive with AMD Crimson drivers. Each button can advertise or enrich your knowledge of the world around you and your inner space.

Joking of course.

Someone mention they like the 2002 version - lol I do too. Straight to the point, out of the way, easy to navigate. Will have to wait on the new interface, like the per game profiles (wait we already have that :confused:)

I wish fucking hardware companies would stop releasing GUI utilities that entirely ignore windows GUI guidelines.

Just in case not a sarcastic question: it's not out yet.
It is playable and actually quite stable for a pre-beta. It's just very much feature incomplete at the moment. I set up a 3vs3 with the other 5 being Challenging/Tough AIs and we had a 2 hour slugfest and stalemate yesterday. No major bugs and no crashes.

It is playable and actually quite stable for a pre-beta. It's just very much feature incomplete at the moment. I set up a 3vs3 with the other 5 being Challenging/Tough AIs and we had a 2 hour slugfest and stalemate yesterday. No major bugs and no crashes.

Alpha = It's not out yet.

I wish fucking hardware companies would stop releasing GUI utilities that entirely ignore windows GUI guidelines.

Oh lord this. It doesn't matter if it's MSI, ASUS, EVGA, AMD, or NVidia, every utility looks like the same dudebro designed each one. Gauges, mock analog dials, arbitrary bar graphs that go from green to red, bad text choices, difficult to find options/close buttons, sliders that jump unusual increments... Every GUI sin there is, this guy has committed.

because they did.

lol

the same two people designed all those.

W1zzard and Unwinder (except for CCC and GFE of course)

Sapphire Trixx, MSI Afterburner, ASUS GPUTweak, ETC

To be honest the biggest reason I want to upgrade is hdmi 2.0. I play on a 4k TV and Amd solutions don't cut it for that. It really sucks though because Nvidia obviously has more money than AMD which means they can afford to throw more money at problems which means their drivers should obviously be better than AMD. It's a sucky spot for AMD to be in.

the hell are you talking about? you sound like a fanboy.

Lmao you resort to accusations now we all know nvidia that's the next step in locking up game ready drivers behind gfe and we know they will do anything to please their investors its perfect logic, but since you seem to be incapable of grasping it let alone using it with sound reasoning sorry I can not help you.

hopefully QT will stop all the fracking event log spamming from mom.

Wow they have put the 6XXX series into legacy status. That hurts my 6990 right in the 6-pin. Anyone try it?

This is ugly as sin. It's great that they made it open faster, but could they not have made a more minimal and simple GUI? Can the UI be changed? IMO, it should look like the nVidia control panel. Even the old Catalyst looked better.

I saw they have a 'beta' version of Crimson that supports the HD cards but its not the WHQL download. Their page said that the last WHQL for HD will be the 15.7s and that this will be the last beta as well

I think this is the best working and looking GUI so far for graphics drivers.

So my predictions:

Crimson software releases, inevitably has a few minor bugs.

Minor bugs are blown out of proportion by people who don't own AMD hardware.

Well it already broke fallout 4 for a lot of 390 users so there is that... Their big driver update broke the most popular game of the damned year right after its launch. Oversights like this just dont make it far in other companies and when it happens its fixed quick as shit...

'Crimson' becomes a bad word, any thread mentioning it immediately devolves into 'AMD suxlololDriversSucklololol'

This is my third and last generation AMD card because those drivers suck so fucking bad... You can hide your head under a rock and try and ignore shit but theres a very real issue making it very hard to support AMD.

The R9 390 has had no official driver updates since july for win 10. Plenty of Beta drivers but crimson is the first official update since JULY... To put that in perspective in the same amount of time the GTX970 that i nearly bought instead of my 390 has had 8 updates in that span of time... 8...

My 390 STILL randomly driver crashes in ARK absolutely ruining that game for me entirely. The GTX970 had a similar issue that was short lived and fixed back in the summer.

I really really like AMDs price/performance but its really becoming obvious to me that id be better off ponying up more cash next time around.

Well it already broke fallout 4 for a lot of 390 users so there is that... Their big driver update broke the most popular game of the damned year right after its launch. Oversights like this just dont make it far in other companies and when it happens its fixed quick as shit...

This is my third and last generation AMD card because those drivers suck so fucking bad... You can hide your head under a rock and try and ignore shit but theres a very real issue making it very hard to support AMD.

The R9 390 has had no official driver updates since july for win 10. Plenty of Beta drivers but crimson is the first official update since JULY... To put that in perspective in the same amount of time the GTX970 that i nearly bought instead of my 390 has had 8 updates in that span of time... 8...

My 390 STILL randomly driver crashes in ARK absolutely ruining that game for me entirely. The GTX970 had a similar issue that was short lived and fixed back in the summer.

I really really like AMDs price/performance but its really becoming obvious to me that id be better off ponying up more cash next time around.

Is this like a "Crashes every time on every system", or is it a "Intermittently crashes on systems with X chipset running X software and X OS"?

Because Crimson hasn't been around long, so I highly doubt empirical data has been gathered to say that a large portion of 390 users are encountering issues. I don't doubt they are, but what is the pattern? I have seen LOTS of people blame AMD drivers for certain software outside of AMD's control, and other people encountering the same issues on Nvidia hardware will blame EVERYTHING BUT Nvidia's software. Mind you, I designed, built and serviced gaming PCs as a job for years, and you can tell by my sig I'm no fanboy of AMD (not anymore). But if something goes wrong on a system that happens to have an AMD component, ALL fingers point at AMD, where if the same problem happens on an Nvidia system, people will thoroughly diagnose a unit and take a much more cohesive approach.

Is this like a "Crashes every time on every system", or is it a "Intermittently crashes on systems with X chipset running X software and X OS"?

Because Crimson hasn't been around long, so I highly doubt empirical data has been gathered to say that a large portion of 390 users are encountering issues. I don't doubt they are, but what is the pattern? I have seen LOTS of people blame AMD drivers for certain software outside of AMD's control, and other people encountering the same issues on Nvidia hardware will blame EVERYTHING BUT Nvidia's software. Mind you, I designed, built and serviced gaming PCs as a job for years, and you can tell by my sig I'm no fanboy of AMD (not anymore).

Just stop because clearly you are not interested in actual answers to those questions. The crashes ARE an AMD driver issue. Its a widespread issue that 5 seconds on google will easily confirm.

You say you are no AMD fanboy then go on to say some utterly ridiculous shit like AMD owners will go out of their way to blame the drivers yet Nvidia owners go out of their way to not blame the drivers?

Are you aware of how stupid that statement sounds?

But if something goes wrong on a system that happens to have an AMD component, ALL fingers point at AMD, where if the same problem happens on an Nvidia system, people will thoroughly diagnose a unit and take a much more cohesive approach.

Then this gem... Really? Say that shit out loud and tell me thats not completely bonkers...

So basically the hordes of people that keep talking about how the AMD drivers are shit are all just fucking stupid? The fact that Nvidia can release a card that performs worse and costs more and it will STILL outsell the AMD counterpart is just coincidence?

You can put whatever the hell you want in your sig but what you post speaks volumes.

You are in denial about the issue and you are going WAY out of your way to blame everything but shitty drivers.

Just stop because clearly you are not interested in actual answers to those questions. The crashes ARE an AMD driver issue. Its a widespread issue that 5 seconds on google will easily confirm.

You say you are no AMD fanboy then go on to say some utterly ridiculous shit like AMD owners will go out of their way to blame the drivers yet Nvidia owners go out of their way to not blame the drivers?

Then this gem... Really? Say that shit out loud and tell me thats not completely bonkers...

So basically the hordes of people that keep talking about how the AMD drivers are shit are all just fucking stupid? The fact that Nvidia can release a card that performs worse and costs more and it will STILL outsell the AMD counterpart is just coincidence?

You can put whatever the hell you want in your sig but what you post speaks volumes.

You are in denial about the issue and you are going WAY out of your way to blame everything but shitty drivers.

I did that google search. All I could come up with is some corruption on the radar/compass. Is that what you're talking about?

I only had two returns, one a single post on the AMD support forums, and one post on reddit.

why the fuck is the old UI aka additional settings still a thing

like it really needs to open that comparatively fugly looking thing to change gamma?

1314029520391.jpg

Someone needs a nap! Yikes! Hit a nerve, there, didn't I?

I'm not saying 'what may happen', I'm talking about actual, consistent, and repeatable events that I have observed. Many of which I can think of the actual customer names and products that were involved. I have had multiple crashes on AMD hardware caused by genuine hardware faults. I experienced REAL bugs in games caused by AMD driver updates, so yeah, I know they exist. But I have ALSO had the same experience on Nvidia hardware. Too many times I've seen someone's system have a RAM or HDD issue, and they blame the AMD video card or the AMD chipset/CPU. Nvidia gets a free pass, so I just like to balance the opinion out.

Wow they have put the 6XXX series into legacy status.

I noted that.

Glad I upgraded from my 6950 less than a month ago.

Still, it feels kinda soon to put the early dx11 cards "out to pasture".

EDIT: As a former Red Team member, sorry some of you guys are having issues with Crimson.... Anyone else miss the ole 3rd party Omega drivers. Those were awesome back in the mid 2000's!

Last edited:
I did that google search. All I could come up with is some corruption on the radar/compass. Is that what you're talking about?

I only had two returns, one a single post on the AMD support forums, and one post on reddit.

How about the new bug brought on by crimson that causes the GPU clock to go into resting mode when indoors in FO4? Its fun dealing with nasty stuttering and watching your clock go back and forth from ~400 to to full speed and back all the while in game you are going from full 60FPS butter smooth to 30 FPS just back and forth.

Still trying to figure that one out.

One post on reddit? The AMD subreddit is full of posts and they are removing them left and right.

More on this issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3u49tb/are_fury_owners_getting_odd_clock_throttling_in/

the most annoying part is coming here and having people act like im just talking shit for fun. I WANT my $330 video card to fucking WORK. I WANTED crimson to be bad ass.

But hey its not the drivers right? Its everyone else, its my fault, bethesdas fault, microsofts fault. Everyone but AMD... FFS

1314029520391.jpg

Someone needs a nap! Yikes! Hit a nerve, there, didn't I?

I'm not saying 'what may happen', I'm talking about actual, consistent, and repeatable events that I have observed. Many of which I can think of the actual customer names and products that were involved. I have had multiple crashes on AMD hardware caused by genuine hardware faults. I experienced REAL bugs in games caused by AMD driver updates, so yeah, I know they exist. But I have ALSO had the same experience on Nvidia hardware. Too many times I've seen someone's system have a RAM or HDD issue, and they blame the AMD video card or the AMD chipset/CPU. Nvidia gets a free pass, so I just like to balance the opinion out.

Not interested in talking to someone that actually believes that shit you said earlier. No thank you. To the ignore list you go.

Not interested in talking to someone that actually believes that shit you said earlier. No thank you. To the ignore list you go.

Aw, You popped my ignore-list-cherry. (at least the 'publicly claims to ignore me' list) Many more will come now, the age of 'ignore differing opinions' is upon us!

But ANYWAYS: There's a known bug with the compass in fallout 4 using the crimson edition, a lot of 290x owners chiming in on the other thread. Who is getting this issue? My 7970 is out on the bench at the moment, going into my media machine. I would test it out, but meh can't be bothered to get out the screwdriver tonight.

I have a XFX390 I use and it has not had any issues in any game with the new drivers. THIS INCLUDES FO4!!!
To say its a verifiable problem with the drivers without listing a technical reason simply reeks of trolling.
Tell me what about the driver is breaking the game and I might believe you.
Until then stop relaying Reddit posts as some sort of scientific fucking study.

Back