Good wireless router for gaming (with roommates who hog bandwidth?)

Phokus

n00b
Hey guys,

I have a friend who sometimes get screwed over by his roommates because they bittorrent too much or stream movies too much and destroys his ping for gaming... he'll get 400-600 ms when they're saturating his bandwidth.

I was thinking he should get one of those d-link gaming routers http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127158

but after reading reviews, i'm not sure how much it'll help him... firingsquad had a review where pings of 200 ms were cut down to 60, but another review which totally saturated the bandwidth had pings of 1400 ms brought down to 450 ms (a great feat, but still hardly playable)...

What do you guys think? Any other solutions?

1. Do his roommates pay for the internet? If not, tell them to stuff it. If so, ask them to schedule their torrents during class time rather than prime gaming time.

2. Get a decent router (since you said D-Link, the DGL-4300 has good QoS but the wireless is very basic, look at the DGL-4500, DIR-825 or DIR-655 if wireless is a necessity).

Some of the off the shelf routers with QoS for gaming can help a little bit..like the DLink DGL4500 or DIR655 series.

Best help you can get....build a router using a distro such as PFSense..which is tops tops tops in QoS/Traffic shaping features...and then hang a wireless access point off of that. That's the solution that worked best for me..the kid does whatever he wants with his gaming or downloading, wife surfing hard, whatever they do..doesn't bother my online gaming.

If you have an older computer laying around, i would looking into Clark Connect http://www.clarkconnect.com. Two supported network cards, and 30 minutes is all it should take. That or invest in a router with good QoS.

Another thing your friend should try is getting his roommates on a bittorent client like Utorrent. Then just have them turn their uploads down to a reasonable amount depending on the available connection.

The Clark Connect method would allow you to throttle based upon IP address. This is what i currently use at home, and seems to work great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks guys... how hard is it to setup those 3rd party router distributions on a spare computer? The guy i'm trying to help is only moderately computer literate

They aren't hard for someone who has applied firmware updates to their router in the past. Most 3rd parties have good documentation, and a forum base to back it up. If he had any issues or questions, i'm sure they would be able to assist him.

Back