Good Wireless Router for 4 - 8 computer gaming via wireless?

Hard and Confused

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, flashing my WRT54G2 with DD-WRT made the router more stable for gaming but we are still getting random disconnects ( except for the host ) and I'm ready to write this WRT54G2 off and replace it with something more suitable.

The games being played are:

Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty: World at War
STALKER: Clear Sky
Unreal Tournament 2003
&
HALO

the 4 PC's in the house all use 802.11g cards except for one laptop which has 802.11n so I don't need nor can I use a wireless N router.

What would you guys recommend in the $50 - $70 ish price range and please for this case do not recommend anything you have not actually used for wireless lan gaming or something to that effect.

===EDIT===

You can indeed use an N based wireless unit..it's backwards compatible with G and even prehistoric old B.

I meant in terms of they cost more on average than a G router and is wasted potential when the PC's on the network can't use the additional speed. Plus I don't want to spend $100 on a quality router atm :(

Last edited:
wireless + gaming = fail

really it isnt that good yet due to how it works in that it provides alot of lag, is just how wireless works, could be due tot he amount of data all being sent at one, wireless simply cant handle all the data back and forth for gaming with 4 PC's and a host computer.

the 4 PC's in the house all use 802.11b cards except for one laptop which has 802.11n so I don't need nor can I use a wireless N router.
Are you sure that your disconnects isn't related to the 802.11b cards? Some of those B adapters were pretty weak.

Plus I don't want to spend $100 on a quality router atm :(

If you can't afford $100 for a quality router, how much money do you have RIGHT NOW for a new router?

I f you have 4 machines with 802.11b I don't think you're gonna find a suitable fix for this. The first thing I do when I get my hands on a wireless router is disable 802.11b because it does cause disconnects for everyone that connects to it. Just plain unreliable and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you upgrade everything to at least 802.11g.

Turns out I hit the wrong key. I was thinking G but for some ungoldy reason I hit the "B" key instead :-/

Also I'd like to keep the replacement in the $50 - $70 ish range and I'm not oposed to finding a used router on the forums here, I'm just wondering what would be a good router to look for.

What games are you playing?

Are all 4 laptops playing at the same time?

Back