Good wireless AP/switch without all the extras

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for a wireless AP/switch/router, I don't need any QoS or routing since I'm running a pfsense box. Any ideas? I don't want to have to pay for something that won't be used.

There are about 10 wireless clients, so I need something that isn't going to knock everything down to 54. Tablets, phones, consoles, laptops.

Indeed!

Never had a days bother with wireless since I bought one!

For a switch, go for whatever you want really but consider the following points...

Cost - your budget, figure out how much you`re willing to spend on the features you require, consider the next point too though
Brand - go for a reputable brand, none of these cheap ass, mickey-mouse no name brands you`ve never heard of... Cisco, Netgear, HP, 3Com all the way!
Specs - decide which features you need, probably don`t need L3 switching, but you may need/use VLANS and/or Trunking, you may also want support for SFP`s as well, oh, and the number of ports you require/may require in the future...

Last edited:
This is all home, so nothing enterprise level needed. The Unifi looks good, mounting may be a bit of a pain. If I can't fish a line up, do you think the coverage would still be good on the top floor low on the wall? I don't know if they are omni-directional.

If you`re concerned, shoot for the LR version (Long Range), I have mine propped up on top of my old WRT54G and I have had zero issues whatsoever.

Even the furthest corners of the house that were previously `dodgy` signal wise, I get full strength.

Even places that, considering the orientation of the AP, would be considered `behind` the AP, I get great coverage.

For home use, I`d say you`re fine, if you`re concerned at all, go for two standard Unifi`s
at either end of the house (you can buy them in packs of 3) and you`re done!

Those Unifi`s are really good.

The range on the Unifs is incredible. I can almost cover our whole building with just one. Our building is probably 10,000 - 15,000 sq feet with concrete floors. That's not even a long range version. This was with it just sitting on my desk. Mine at home just sits on the floor behind my TV and covers basement, main floor and top floor with full signal everywhere. Again, it's a normal version. For mounting, all you have to do is run a cable through the wall, put an end on and then just screw the base of the Unifi on and then put the Unifi back onto the base. Really simple.

Got the Unifi, you guys were right. I love it, it's a bit bigger than I expected - I'm used to the Cisco APs - but the speed is awesome. Right now it's running about 9 wireless clients in mixed mode, no speed issues. I was reading that they are going to release a pro version in the near future.

Got the Unifi, you guys were right. I love it, it's a bit bigger than I expected - I'm used to the Cisco APs - but the speed is awesome. Right now it's running about 9 wireless clients in mixed mode, no speed issues. I was reading that they are going to release a pro version in the near future.

Thanks for the update! Glad it's working well for you.

Where did you buy it? I am setting up a pfSense box right now, just need a wireless part to complete my network. I was looking at some Linksys ones but like you I just need the basics.

The Unifi actually has a bunch of features - hotspot, guest, limiters, user groups, etc...

I got it from solidsignal.com - it was the cheapest I could find. I'm running a pfsense box as well.

The Unifi actually has a bunch of features - hotspot, guest, limiters, user groups, etc...

I got it from solidsignal.com - it was the cheapest I could find. I'm running a pfsense box as well.

They do have a good price but it looks like it is backordered there too. Guess I'll wait a bit and maybe just use the ol' Linksys in the meantime.

Back