Good wall color to go behind a HDTV?

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
One of my friends got a new house, we swapped some gear around since he wanted a smaller TV (that I gave him) and a 60 inch TV for his living room (that he needs to buy). Also I hooked him up with some old game console gear. Now I have to mount a new 50 inch plasma on the wall to replace a 32 inch that was there. I had my TV, speakers, and AV rack wall mounted. After removing everything, I realize the wall was a mess from multiple installations. I just finished patching up the various holes and damage on the wall:

IMG_20120520_221155.jpg

Well now that I went this far, I am just going to repaint the living room, starting with the wall behind the TV. My whole house is currently painted off white :( I have hardwood floors, and the curtain colors can change. I was thinking dark blue behind the TV to start, then i can paint around the room as time allows? I've been living with all white walls for 8 years now, redoing this wall has kicked in the ass to get some color.

Or I can just paint the wall behind the TV a dark gray and paint the rest of the room and hall [whatever] color. I just don't know how that would look.

Dark red (burgundyish) with white trim. Looks the part and if you use a flat paint, it can get really dark, even with light walls all around. How I have mine setup, works rather well.

I would do a brownish shade of tan on that wall... not as dark as the dark parts of your floor, but maybe close to the lighter shades of the floor. Would be dark under low light, but bright enough to not make the room feel "cave-ish" during the times you have the lights on. Do 3 coats, 2 coats never look as good as 3 IMO.

I like how my setup came out. Well I do need 2 things to finish it off. a PS3 and my red curtains to show up. Once I get them I will post a pick.

I got a really nice looking TV stand from Walmart that has a TV Mount built into it so you can have your TV mounted up as if on the wall without actually mounting it TO the wall and it swivels from side to side.

I couldn't do paint because it is an apartment and to do the room with a sectional I had to put the TV in front of the windows, not a problem as I don't like sun light all that much. So I got some black "velvet" blackout curtains to cover both windows and will be putting the red "velvet" blackout curtains on either side to help with the "theater" look. The TV Stand is Black with 2 "wood" legs. Black metal and glass that is black as well. So my sectional couch (hopefully get it this week) is red on dark brown.

Only things that don't really fit sadly are a floor fan (white but I am looking for a black one) and my Star Wars edition 360 with Kinect. But other than that everything is black/red/brown and I really like how it is coming up.

The curtains are about 25-30$ each and each one is 40" wide. I used 4 black ones. That would allow you to cheaply and easily change the look from time to time as you want as well.

As for the light in the living room it is brown wood with a tan shade but I have a blue bulb in it and leave it on non stop. Dim enough not to produce glare or eye strain but bright enough that I don't have to turn on any lights when going to the kitchen etc.

Anyways I'll take a pic and post it. Probably be next week when I get the red curtains in though.

Got gun shy about the red... Probably because my living room is already partly red and I am not a huge fan of it. The result:

IMG_20120522_013128.jpg

Paint is still went in that pic from the 3rd coat.

Definitely need some blue curtains now... I have a different futon cover color I can swap too as well.

Back