good VLAN switch for business?

ccbutler

n00b
Greetings!

I have simple dummy gigabit rackmount switches (qty 2 x 48 port). I'm running into a situation where two companies will be occupying the same office space and want to use VLAN technology to partition the two networks.

What switches do you recommend for me to accomplish this?

many thanks!

Whats your budget?
How many devices?
Will they be using the same router for internet access?

Whats your budget?
How many devices?
Will they be using the same router for internet access?
30 devices. looking for a single 48 port switch
budget under $1k... willing to look like a hero and not spend more than necessary though.. haha. BUT understand you get what you pay for.
YES! same router for both.

NOTE

There is a shared MFP i want both VLAN's to be able to use via the network

Router support VLANS I presume...

for that you would use ACL with in the router or pending on the switch, the switch. Block each VLAN from seeing each other as a rule, I would make a 3rd vlan for the MFP - you then allow your 2 company vlans access to ONLY the MFP VLAN/IP (lock down the rule based on VLAN/Subnet)

I always loved HP switches and with life time warranties....

Dell, meh, always felt bulky to use / configure
Brocade - solid would take them over Cisco any day...but may not be in your price range.

Thanks Mr!

I'll price out an HP and see where it lands.

no PoE BTW

Any opinions on Ubiquiti EdgeSwitches?

Router support VLANS I presume...

for that you would use ACL with in the router or pending on the switch, the switch. Block each VLAN from seeing each other as a rule, I would make a 3rd vlan for the MFP - you then allow your 2 company vlans access to ONLY the MFP VLAN/IP (lock down the rule based on VLAN/Subnet)

I always loved HP switches and with life time warranties....

Dell, meh, always felt bulky to use / configure
Brocade - solid would take them over Cisco any day...but may not be in your price range.

A router is at layer 3 and VLAN's are at layer 2 with switches. A router may not support VLAN's depending on the brand/model, etc. Have you accounted for how layer 3 will work when the VLAN's are implemented? Is there internet access for these companies? Assuming so, are they going thru the same interface/isp? By default the VLANs will not be able to talk to each other or less there is a router doing the layer 3 of the networks routing between the two.

Basically what Mr. Gov said.

As for Ubiquiti, I personally dont like their interface and they dont seem to have the most functionality. What router are you using? Is it just a standard rinky-dink one from comcast or w/e?

Any managed switch can do this, don't need to overthink this. Just get whatever is reliable and what you are comfortable with. Even if the router doesn't support VLANs, you can create a third VLAN on the switch for a point-to-point connection to the firewall/router. As long as the switch supports ACLs and an SVI for each VLAN to forward packets to the firewall, you should be good. If your router/firewall has more than one interface or supports dot1q, you can get away with unmanaged switches or one that can only do VLANs.

The issue is your 1k budget, if new, you may be stuck with Netgear or MikroTik. Even UBNT won't fit under that budget. If used, a Cisco C2960X is possible if you know where to look.

More expensive switches typically offer more forwarding throughput and density. You can get a better switch if you go used but then you would lack support if anything goes sideways. Good thing traditional managed switches are mostly a commodity item these days.

Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm using pfSense as my router.

Has anyone used HPE Aruba?

JL685A#ABA HPE Aruba Instant On 1930 48G 4SFP/SFP+ Switch - 52 Ports - Manageable - 3 Layer Supported - Modular - Optical Fiber, Twisted Pair - Rack-mountable - Lifetime Limited Warranty

HPE ProCurve is all I used back in the days, dam reliable. HPE bought Aruba some time ago and merged their line in with HPs. I do recall that the OS may still be different between the ProCurve vs Aruba switches but if it is all new to you anyways may not matter. HPE Procurve switches are not usually priced too bad...and have a life time warranty

Pretty sure the ProCurves of today are the evolution of 3Com after they were acquired by HP. I've few in my lab that have been 100% reliable for well over 10 years now. I also have a couple of original 3Com 3300 switches at home as spares. IMHO when they were around 3Com made the best layer 2 switches and from what I've seen of the HPs that followed that did not change once they were bought up.

Has anyone used HPE Aruba?

JL685A#ABA HPE Aruba Instant On 1930 48G 4SFP/SFP+ Switch - 52 Ports - Manageable - 3 Layer Supported - Modular - Optical Fiber, Twisted Pair - Rack-mountable - Lifetime Limited Warranty
Used Aruba tons, the only odd thing about that switch is it's their "Instant On" series, which I think means requires a cloud account to manage. They are good switches, just know that's a cloud model (Unsure if you can change it to local managed).

The Cisco small business line is actually pretty good. I have an SG300 at home and it never fails. I manage Enterprise Cisco equipment at work but actually prefer the SG300 because it's quieter. I don't need all the features I use at my job.

Back