Good Value Security Cameras

wicked_chicken

Limp Gawd
So while on Christmas vacation, some tool decided to kick the side of my car repeatedly, severely damaging it. The vehicle was in it's assigned spot in front of our townhouse. The complex has security, but nothing that covers our spot, which is ten feet in front of my door. I'd like to set up my own security camera from my office, which directly overlooks the parking spots we use. Does anyone have any good suggestions for something that is high resolution and night compatible?

I got a few HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-I for a client, streaming to a synology nas. The quality both day & night is surprisingly good. This particular model doesn't record to a sd card or anything, so unless you want to setup blue iris or some other recording app on a pc, might be wise to check their other HD models that do self record.

I've started deploying Ubiquiti UVC cameras everywhere. They are running really nice so far.

Trendnet tv ip311pi is a wicked 200$ camera 3Mp with night vision.

Dashpuppy.com has a blog about it I believe.... Somewhere...

Firstly, thank you to everyone who's responded. This has been really helpful, particularly because you guys listened to the value bit (I'm a graduate student, so funds are tight. That being said, a couple of cameras are a better investment than my deductible for dents, regardless of how much they piss me off. Add to the fact that I usually park a scooter next to my car (and those tend to walk away during the night here in florida), I think this is overdue.

What software do you guys recommend? I run all my storage through my main PC tower (used to have a server, long story, it died). I'd like to be able to view remotely, but it's not a requirement as long as I can review footage later should some bullshit like this happen again.

Also, how does 3M resolution stack up against 720?

Last edited:
I started a similar post a couple of months ago, link to post.

I never got around setting anything up or buying a camera, and now that's its winter and it's cold and snowy out ... it'll probably wait a while longer!!! But I'm still leaning towards a D-Link camera. It seems to be a good balance of quality, price and ease of use/setup.

I second getting the HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-I. They are a great value and decent camera. Not top of the line, but solid and functional. Quality image sensor, decent IR/nightvision & weatherproof. They are all over the web at under $100/each. The Costco/Swann bundle is also this same camera OEMd by Swann and you can re-flash it to native Hickvision software. Costco list is $249/pair but often goes on sale for $199 or less.

There is lots of software that will support them. In addition to the Synology NAS camera driver references above you can get i-spy for free (as long as you don't need remote access, which requires a subscription. Blue Iris is also modestly priced and can be run on pretty much any Windows PC.

I-Spy: http://www.ispyconnect.com/
Blue Iris: http://blueirissoftware.com/

I just use the Ubiquiti UniFi software with my UVC cameras. At work we use Blue Iris to manage the cameras (at least until we finish replacing them all with UVC cameras).

Back