Good unix apps for an older ibook

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
Hey I just got a 600 mhz 12 inch ibook and I am wondering what are some good unix apps for you all that run x11. I have some good background in BSD and am just wondering what you guys use. I got the system for 300 bucks new(it was one a store never sold that they had been sitting on 2 years.) I figure I'll max out the ram and load 10.3. Any thoughts?

Come on anyone? I figure I'll load some good media player(sorry guys quicktime sucks) and maybe a good chat client(I'll try iChat first). I figure I'll load open office to start off with although I'll end up getting ms office for it prob. I'll end up using this to remote into some BSD servers and Linux servers so I may end up running yellow dog but I would like to play around with 10 some.

MPlayer
Gaim
XChat

*shrugs* All of the normal X11 programs.. some may depend on GTK (read: Gaim, XChat) but if you use fink, or something you should be fine.

Yea Mplayer and Xchat for sure. Anyone have any experience on unix cdr programs in X?

Generally, native Aqua applications are vastly superior to X11 apps. They run faster, have more consistant UIs, etc etc...

So here are some suggestions for software:

X-Chat Aqua (not the X11 XChat)
Colloquy
Those are the two best IRC clients that I know of
Proteus is the best IM app I've tried on any platform, handles just about every kind

Mplayer or VLC for movies.

Thanks, Yea when I get around to loading panther later this week I'll start loading the stuff on it.

Use fink if you want all those X11-based apps. It's the OS X equivalent of the FreeBSD ports tree.

Yea I plan on using Fink. I have no real want on loading all the extra crap I would need to make it work otherwise

Back