Good smallish rack for home gear?

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I don't know much about business type network gear. I've got a Norco 4224 case and am ordering a rack mount switch like this one.

What would be my best option for a rack to hold those two along with my fiber modem and router, with a little room for expansion in the future? I plan on having it sit next to my network cable junction box in my house where all the cables end.

I have been happy with my startech 12u desktop rack I believe that they make an 8u version now as well

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm using this one.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215212

The size is perfect. Its deep enough to fit my 2 Supermicro SC743 boxes with a few more inches clearance for cables and no more. Fits nicely in a small apartment next to my desk. I didn't want something super tall either. This one is a little more than desk height. Finally, its not so terribly ugly sitting in the back of the living room.

Having wheels is super convenient for doing maintenance in the back. Recently we moved to a different apartment in the same building. All I had to do was unplug my ups from the wall and wheel the rack over to the new space. Other than temporary loss of internet connectivity there was no downtime for my servers.

I also like the vented doors. Lockable doors prevents kids from touching the computers and keeps cats from exploring inside the rack. I wanted a rack with doors but so many of them use glass doors. I don't understand this. It seems to me glass would be terrible for airflow.

I have been happy with my startech 12u desktop rack I believe that they make an 8u version now as well
I have one of these, while it's great for something light like a couple switches, a tray, etc. I wouldn't load it up with a 4U storage server, it's not designed for that type of weight.

I have a small Middle Atlantic IDF rack. It's frame is stronger than typical racks, because it was designed to hang from the ceiling or beam. Thicker gauge panels, welded seams, lockable solid doors, ventilation holes, lifetime warranty, small enough to fit in closet. I added some casters from Harbor Freight, so it's easy to move for maintenance/cleaning.

Check out racks from xcase.co.uk. They are reasonable even with shipping all over.

Back