Good single slot card?

gregnash

2[H]4U
Ok so I am looking for a new card and would really like to get something like a 4850 or 9800GTX but here is the catch I am looking for something that is single slot. I have the room for a double slot card but I just really hate the look of the huge, thick cards. Are there any cards out there that will perform as well as the 4850 or 9800gtx but still keep me under $150?

EDIT: I will be upgrading my system soon so please do not reference the Rig in my sig. I will either be updating to a s775 system or lower end Core i7.

Try a 4830, you wouldn't even notice a difference between the cards with that cpu anyway

if your looking for 4850 performance why don't you just buy one?

single slot 4850

might not be the cheapest but it's the first single slot one i found.

Wow looked at Newegg and didnt see one for some reason, must have seen it and didnt realize it was a 4850 (thinking it was a 4830).

Re: Forealz - I will be upgrading the system in my rig, so that does not apply, sorry probably should have explained that.

if you are putting this card in your sig rig then pretty much any decent card will be a waste of money. in modern games no video card can compensate for having an older single core cpu.

It will still lag behind, but he can atleast happily bring the card forward when he throws together a new mb+proc+ram.

His current card is so comparibly slow anyways, he will see a good improvement reguardless of what he does

It will still lag behind, but he can atleast happily bring the card forward when he throws together a new mb+proc+ram.

His current card is so comparibly slow anyways, he will see a good improvement reguardless of what he does
well I see your point but in some newer games his cpu will keep any decent card from performing well. even an older dual core cpu will hold a decent card back. his slow single core cpu makes any modern card almost a complete waste of money. in some newer games he will be lucky to even get playable framerates just because of his cpu. he is clearly at the point where a new cpu is vitally important.

Sirk1000 has a good point about just going with an actual single slot 4850. If you're going to upgrade the rest of your system over time, your performance will only get better as you go. As the others have pointed out, you CPU is going to remain a huge bottleneck until you replace it...

Back