Good set of general "travel" headphones

Corban227

Gawd
so i recently went on a trip and i borrowed my friends bose around ear headphones (140). i really like them. very comfortable (i mean i cant wait to put them on because they are so comfortable) and have good sound. they are not sound canceling but with the volume turned up you can hear anything around you.

So my questions is what is a good pair of headphones for around 100 dollars (cheaper is better, but if the sound is worth the extra 10 dollars please say). i know bose is said to be over marketed and over priced but these are really nice.
will be wearing when i:
travel
work out
run
walk to school
etc
(not using for computer)

If you want circumaurals, Sony MDR-V6 with velour pads.

IEMs might be better for many of those applications.

Klipsch Image S2's sound very good and are small & light for traveling + they store away anywhere.

Very reasonable price tag @ $50 to boot.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/image-s2-reviews/#customerreviews

Grado SR60's are great too but not so much for traveling being bulky & all but fit your price range.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr60.htm

Be sure to spend some time shopping around and listening for what sounds best to you, its well worth your time in the long run to be sure you get something you won't regret purchasing.

those sonys look good for compute use but these will be like ipod phones

how do the sennheimer PXC 250 hold up against the BOSE around ear phones (50 dollars compared to 140)

Klipsch Image S2's sound very good and are small & light for traveling + they store away anywhere.

Very reasonable price tag @ $50 to boot.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/image-s2-reviews/#customerreviews

Grado SR60's are great too but not so much for traveling being bulky & all but fit your price range.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr60.htm

Be sure to spend some time shopping around and listening for what sounds best to you, its well worth your time in the long run to be sure you get something you won't regret purchasing.

i like the ear buds up there but i already have 2 different earbuds (the BOSE in ear and a pair of skull candy). are they comfortable and comperable at blocking out sound? my one issue with them is that the inside of my ears begin to hurt if i wear fro too long, and i have not felt that with these bose around ear. in fact i look forward to putting them on lol

and for the SR60: how are they compared to those sennheimer? ie sound cancel, quality and bass quality

I love when people give an example of what they want (e.g. "around ear headphones" or circumaurals) then turn around and say that's not what they wanted at all. It really makes me /facepalm.

If you want good isolation (i.e. the ability to block out external noise) and don't want something that goes around your ear, then the other option is something that goes in your ear (IEMs). Active NC won't work well at all for what you listed, nor does it work very well in an "on ear" package because there's only so much you can do if outside air can get in freely. If NC is a big factor, get IEMs. If not, there are good supra-aurals around if you're too embarrassed to wear full circumaurals in public.

Stay away from Bose stuff first of all and the other mentioned i have never heard.

The Grado's are open so you will hear outside noises but are very lively even with modest power, the highs and mids are sharp but the bass is natural , not boomy if thats what you like.

Switching from the Bose earbuds to the Klipsch S2's will be a night and day difference, my father purchased a pair of bose earbuds last year and they went right back.

The Klipsch models are very comfey to use for long periods, you may forget they are even on.

I love when people give an example of what they want (e.g. "around ear headphones" or circumaurals) then turn around and say that's not what they wanted at all. It really makes me /facepalm.

If you want good isolation (i.e. the ability to block out external noise) and don't want something that goes around your ear, then the other option is something that goes in your ear (IEMs). Active NC won't work well at all for what you listed, nor does it work very well in an "on ear" package because there's only so much you can do if outside air can get in freely. If NC is a big factor, get IEMs. If not, there are good supra-aurals around if you're too embarrassed to wear full circumaurals in public.

minus the fact that the on ear headphones you suggested have a 10 foot cord ;o. those seem better for a stationary area like on a midi keyboard or at a computer desk, not for travel on a plane or at the gym.

but thats interesting about klipsch S2's. would those be recommended over the Sennheiser PXC 250? and for what im comfortable with wearing something comparable to these bose around ear phones would probably be the biggest i would go (which is one reason why the sennheiser's have an appeal to me

Last edited:
As far as sound is concerned you should really judge for yourself, everybody has different likes on what does and does not sound good.

Comfort wise the Klipsch models are far superior in my opinion and will be hard to beat for the small price tag.

The S2s are just a meh pair of IEMs, and the PXC 250 are active NC which I've already commented on (namely, avoid).

Back