Good rts game to play on lowend system

rcf1987

2[H]4U
Me and my brother are lookin for a good rts game to play on the lan he uses my moms dell computer which has 512mb ddr2 400, a 3 gig p4, and the worst part a x300se hyper memory. Are there any good rts games we can play on the lan he doesn't care about graphics. We already have starcraft.

Red Alert 1 and 2 (1 was amazing from what I remember)
Age of Empires 1 and 2 (you might as well just play 2)

JustinSane said:
command and conquer tiberian sun

that was my fav. C&C game the ones after it have seemed Meh to me and i never got into them.

rcf1987 said:
Me and my brother are lookin for a good rts game to play on the lan he uses my moms dell computer which has 512mb ddr2 400, a 3 gig p4, and the worst part a x300se hyper memory. Are there any good rts games we can play on the lan he doesn't care about graphics. We already have starcraft.

You would be amazed at what you can play with that x300se. It actually plays WoW VERY well (even at normal settings). I imagine that you can play about any RTS out there (some better than others). I would recommend C&C Generals, AOE3 and Warhammer.. Give them a try, I promise you will be amazed at how little RTS's take from your videocard.

mdameron said:
AOE3? maybe at the lowest possible settings

You would be amazed how well it plays on medium.
I am running an nvidia 6150le with shared memory and it plays VERY well on my lappy with stock settings.

Give Rise of Nations a shot. If that doesn't work AoE2 all the way. Like mentioned above, one of the best rts of all time.

Pretty much any Command & Conquer game(especially Red Alert 2), any Warcraft game, Starcraft, Total Annihilation, Rise of Nations, Age Of Empires 1 and 2. He'd probably be able to run some newer games too, like Rome: Total War, Star Wars: Empire At War, Age Of Empires 3, etc. RTS games tend to be more dependant on the CPU rather than the graphics, to if you turn down the settings a little you should be able to play any modern RTS.

Thnxs for the info guys my brother saved up about 100$ to buy games for the lan so I'll see what he likes best and will go from there

rcf1987 said:
Thnxs for the info guys my brother saved up about 100$ to buy games for the lan so I'll see what he likes best and will go from there

Most of the games mentioned so far can be found in the budget bin, so he should be able to get plenty of bang for his buck.

Dawn of War is good for those who don't like to sit there for the first 20 minutes building up their base. It makes you capture points on the map with your squads for "requisition" (the core resource in the game) with which you can build additional units/structures for your base.

Action-packed.

total annihilation for $10 somewhere.

save the rest for SupCom and a new GPU.

Back