Good Raid controller cards. what are they now?

Cube

[H]ard|Gawd
I have not bought or kept up in raid controler cards for a long time since I use the motherboard raid most the time and I see some of the brands seem to have got out of the market.

What is good Raid controler that is reliable has a bios supports normal desktop SATA will work all right with an asus rampage 4 extreme and don't cost that much like $200 max?

the ones I see now are stupid expensive still for some reason I thought these things would cost like $100 bucks for normal non server versions like they used too.

I never herd of raid contoller makers like startech and sybaand some of the other ones what the hell where did they even come from? I don't think I trust them with something like a raid controller. the last time I bought one of these things or looked at them PCI and IDE ultra ATA was all the rage

Last edited:
Depends on what you're using the card with and how fast you wanna go.

If you're using SSDs and want max performance the LSI 9240 series + FastPath will set ya back @ 400.00.

If you're using mechanical drives or just don't care buy anything you want.

Maybe someone else has some mechanical drive/slower SSD suggestions.

RAID isn't always the best solution. Maybe you should try and tell us what you're trying to do, with what operating system, and what hardware (drive types)

If you're looking for a simple RAID1 or RAID0, Your best bet is to use your intel motherboard ports.

RAID is nothing but trouble if you're not willing to put the bucks in for the right pieces of hardware.

I want to run another 2 raid 1 mirror 3TB or 4tb arrays off the motherboard because the motherboard is full raid 1 mirror drives and 2 bluray burners.

Last edited:
I want to run another 2 raid 1 mirror 3TB or 4tb arrays off the motherboard because the motherboard is full raid 1 mirror drives and 2 bluray burners.

Be very sure to make sure the controller supports greater then 2TB. I have some Dell PERC5i's and they are great for RAID5'ing 2TB drives and can be had all day long for $25-30 shipped from Ebay, but they don't support >2TB. The PERC is also great because it comes with its own battery backup in case you loose power to the computer it wont corrupt the array if some data wasn't commited to the drive yet.

The IBM M1015 is pretty popular right now. It will support >2TB drives and they run about $100. I don't know if they have battery backup ability.

The thing you really want to look for are RAID controllers that got put into 1000's and 1000's of business computers. Because when the lease ends on those computers or they get upgraded after several years the old parts flood the market which drives the cost down. Thats why the Dell ones are so popular because so many "servers" and workstations came with them. If you try to look for RAID controllers that were geared more for the individual user you will find they are several hundred dollars because they don't sell nearly as many.

I only Have 3tb and 4tb drives hanging around not 2tb and the pc has a ups I will look at those thanks.

Last edited:
Back