Good PC26400 Ram

DarkLegacy

[H]ard|Gawd
Seems like my IP35 Pro doesn't play nice with Ballistix ram. My first pair got a C1 Error after 6 months of use. The system would not boot anymore no matter what I did. All of the other hardware worked fine. Tested it all in my older build. So the memory seem done for. I have a very flexible income so I just went ahead & got a second pair. Slapped it in, reset the cmos manually. The system started up perfectly fine. I went into the bios to adjust the ram voltage to what it should be. The IP35 Pro boots it up at 1.8v. Should be 2.1v. This pair only lasted 5 days before the C1 error hit again. Now, I'm not sure if it's the memory or the board doing this. This time around, I want to get a different brand that uses different mem chips to see if it's the board being stupid. So I can RMA it. Any recommendation is appreciated =).

why did you increase the voltage? ballistix run REALLY REALLY hot, especially if you don't have an active cooler over them. RMA them back to crucial, pick up a 120mm fan, put the new kit back in, point the fan at the ram and leave it at 1.8v. it should be fine ;)

If you can return them, just get some memory that doesn't want 2.1V. I know that Corsair Makes PC6400 cas 4 that runs at 2.0V, and cas 5 at 1.9V....

ballistix is actually rated for 2.2v, but both kits i've tried thus far can do stock speed with 1.85v (my mobo's default voltage)

As said, they are rated for 2.2. I pretty much automatically get a C1 error running it at 1.8 - 1.9. Or a blue screen when I'm in the middle of something.I got the system back running again at 2.0 See if it hangs there =). I ordered some G Skill ram anyways. Went by the abit forums & they all pointed me in that direction when it comes to dealing with the IP35 Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

Set it back to 2.2. Gonna leave it there until My G Skill set arrives. 1.8 - 1.9 had booting problems. 2.0 would boot, but would have corruption file galore on anything I would try to install or run.

btw, feel the heatspreaders while the computer is running.. preferably when doing something like playing a game. how hot do they feel?

Not very hot at all. Could hold my hand over it without getting to the point that I would have to move it. I do have a Silverstone TJ09 With two 120 MM's fans right on top of the case. Both on exhaust. The system has excellent air flow overall so nothing is getting hot. Could be just faulty memory or the board hates Ballistix ram =). I'll find out for sure once the G skill set gets in.

-DarkLegacy

probably a combination thereof. ballistix is quite sensitive to less than perfect voltage regulation and drive strength setup, not entirely sure why :(

They are really sensitive PERIOD lol. After many hours of tinkering with the bios. I finally have it set to where it is perfectly stable. Finally passed memtest 100% with no errors reported. Tested 7 different games & no crashes. So for now, it is holding up. Six hours up time. My first set of ballistix did not have this problem. Even if it was off the 2.2v, it would run. This set is just really picky at what it wants.

-DarkLegacy

Back