Good or Bad PSU for $50

sparkle. it is a very reliable brand, the PSU is ATXv2 compliant, and has 25A on teh +12v which is adequate for an a64. most definatly the sparkle. i would never waste money on an "e-power"

lithium726 said:
i would never waste money on an "e-power"
They're Topowers, though their entry-level models. It meets an old ATX12V spec (seeing how there are lots of amps on the +5V), but shouldn't be so bad. The Sparkle does look good, but if you could, shoot for the TruePower II 380W.

But is it more important to have an ATXv2 PSU as in the Sparkle?

Also the Antec's are a bit out of my price range.

I actually have one of those ePowers. Damn good, actually. Actually, I have three. The black on in the pic, one with a stupid glow in the dark Puma on the side and one that's a wicked General Lee orange color. They are Topower P5 units, so they're pretty good quality.

jonnyGURU said:
They are Topower P5 units, so they're pretty good quality.
Really? Their model naming scheme indicates that they're the XP units. One step under the P5 units.

Just sort of off-topic, are the OCZ Modstreams based on the P5s, where the Powerstreams based on the P6s?

Yeah... I've fought this mental battle before. The NAME seems to imply XP, but the specs imply P5.

I think the OCZ's are P6, but don't quote me on that.

<disclaimer>I am not an authority. Just a big mouth w/ too much time on his hands. ;) </disclaimer>

who knows, they are GREAT. :) that's all you need to know, but I am pretty sure they are made by channels well or somehting like that.

Oleg over at Xbit just went after Fortron/Sparkle, and reviewed 8 of them including the 300w and 400w 120mm fan versions of the one in the initial post. I kinda wish he'd thrown my 530w on the rig, but was real impressed with the results even knowing beforehand how good they are.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/fsp-psu.html

One thing is very clear to me though - the AX500-A is not simply a modified FSP460-60PFN. The innards are too different.

aZn_plyR said:
who knows, they are GREAT. :) that's all you need to know, but I am pretty sure they are made by channels well or somehting like that.

I was AMAZED at the quality of my Enermax. I've pretty much only used Antec since the late 90's and I was VERY impressed with this Enermax. Antec at the time didn't offer and SLi certified PSU and didn't offer one with this kind of wattage that was 24pin with dual rails.

A power supply is not an area of your system to skimp on. It really isn't. If you can't buy now, save up another $20 and get a nicer PSU.

speedster said:
XCilo looks interesting. Anybody had any experence with them

Considering they're Channelwell's (same as Antec) with a few added features, I'd say 'how can you go wrong?'

speedster said:
Anybody had any experence with them

Yup - had about 7 different Channel Well made units go through my hands at one time or another, from 235w to 420w; all older units. Build quality is very good, with a tendency in some units starting from 4-2 years ago to run too hot and suffer from bad capacitor issues after a year or so of use. I think they have the problem solved now though.

Not as reliable as some brands/makes I could name *coughfortroncoughzippy* but otherwise very reliable indeed. You can find CWT under only 3 names that I am aware of: XClio, Antec, and CWT themselves. There are other companies that sometimes use their supplies, like Sunny Technologies and JustPC, but often these types of resellers mix and match with Deer and other junk.

Back