Good non-headset/headphones microphone solution with noise cancelling?

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
I spend quite a bit of time on the treadmill. I got a decent headset for it and it works well enough to block out most noise while chatting on Discord and playing PC games (yes while on the treadmill). However, It's still unfortunately very uncomfortable for extended workouts when I'm sweaty.

Is there any mic/speaker solution that I can use that provides excellent noise cancelling while being in speaker form factor so I don't have to wear it on the head? I would prefer it be competent enough for game audio and/or music as well (not setting a high bar, just hopefully doesn't come out garbled or something). The treadmill also makes a decent amount of ambient noise so props if it can get rid of that as well.

not sure about using speakers but the Nvidia broadcast software has a really cool noise cancelling feature,

not sure about using speakers but the Nvidia broadcast software has a really cool noise cancelling feature,

That does sound really good. Thing is, I'm planning to also occasionally do work (and I have already done this in the past) on the setup. I would prefer it be something I can just hook up to my work laptop and indeed I do want to use speakers for it. I think I would need a passthrough "device in the middle" setup to route curated audio to my work laptop if I use Nvidia Broadcast... ie does Nvidia broadcast allow duplicating its audio to an audio output on the PC, so I could hook that 3.5mm line into my laptop and basically have the benefits of Broadcast while not using my laptop's hardware?

For Discord alone though it is indeed worth a shot.

I have a feeling that this broadcast application is some neural network or some other machine learning thing, I'm technically not even sure if I can legally route my call audio through it... but then again no one would really know.

That does sound really good. Thing is, I'm planning to also occasionally do work (and I have already done this in the past) on the setup. I would prefer it be something I can just hook up to my work laptop and indeed I do want to use speakers for it. I think I would need a passthrough "device in the middle" setup to route curated audio to my work laptop if I use Nvidia Broadcast... ie does Nvidia broadcast allow duplicating its audio to an audio output on the PC, so I could hook that 3.5mm line into my laptop and basically have the benefits of Broadcast while not using my laptop's hardware?

For Discord alone though it is indeed worth a shot.

I have a feeling that this broadcast application is some neural network or some other machine learning thing, I'm technically not even sure if I can legally route my call audio through it... but then again no one would really know.

It is pre-trained and all runs locally so there isn't any privacy worry routing your audio through it.

You can get it running using a non-rtx Nvidia video card if you manually edit some files. I did that on my work laptop and it worked well.

The only issue I had with it was a very slight amount of latency it has. While doing hardcore competitive gaming with my friend we could tell there was just a bit more delay compared to raw audio. This was back when it was in beta, so maybe it has improved, but I use a headset mic now and don't have any need for noise cancelling.

Note that Discord has its own AI based noise cancelation built in User Settings > Voice & Video > Advanced > Noise Suppression. Use's Krisp AI based noise suppression.

Back