Good News: NAND Prices to Rise 40% in 2020

clockdogg

[H]ard|Gawd
Oh... that's not good news for us. But if you're a memory cartel member, good times.

Whether this is just a shock tactic to soften the consumer blow(back) or these high tech companies really have trouble sorting their supply chains, we'll find out never know.

According to the sources over at DigiTimes, NAND flash prices are set to rise by up to 40% in 2020. This report is coming from sources over at memory chipmakers, presumably some of the biggest players like SK Hynix, Micron, and Samsung. If the prediction realizes, consumers will see a significant price jump for products based on NAND flash memory like most of today's solid-state drives. For reference, earlier today we also reported that a minute long power outage at Samsung created damage worth millions of Dollars in DRAM and NAND flash memory.

This incident alone could help contribute to the price rise of NAND memory in 2020. Other possible reasons may include an inefficient supply of materials used by NAND flash production lines or a simple supply-demand ratio, which would hurt prices of NAND flash long-therm. However, we hope that the underlying problems for this predicted price rise can be worked out and that companies like Samsung, which got power outage accident, can supplement the capacity loss during the unplanned turn of events.

From TechPowerup: https://www.techpowerup.com/262571/nand-flash-prices-to-rise-up-to-40-in-2020

Last edited:
The same price did my from the same group of assholes.

Fines aren't enough throw board members in the gulag.

edit that should say "the same price fixing from the same group of assholes"

Last edited:
No big deal. We only need NAND for electronic devices. It's not like today's world is built around those.

On a related note, price of toasters and refrigerators is expected to rise accordingly. NAND and wifi are crucial technologies for home appliances.

Got to love corporate FUD. More price fixing lawsuits anyone?

Same shit a decade ago. They got bitch slapped for collusion then, its about time for it to happen one more time.

The profit they make from these "shortages" probably far outweighs the penalty from their punishment. That's the only explanation I can fathom for this cyclic consumer gouging.

Anyway, as long as I have my working boot SSD I'm happy.. I still have no problem installing games and such on mechanical drives.

Back