Good Micro ATX overclocker

• Thread starter Deleted member 109755
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109755

I've got an E6300 of which I know will do 3.605 Ghz on air, and while I'm not wanting to push it that high for a Micro ATX build, I am looking to put it around 2.8 - 3.0 Ghz. So with that said, I'm looking for a pretty decent micro atx motherboard that will handle what I'm wanting to do. This board will be paired with an evga 8800GTS 640 and OCZ DDR2 PC-6400 or 8500 if I can find some cheap enough.

Thanks in advance for the input! :)

Thx.

That seems to be what other places have recommended too, but I was curious to know if the P5K-VM would be a good choice as well, and I'm not sure of the differences between the G3x and the Q3x chipsets.

Also I could use a good recommendation on a power supply to put in a ThermalTake LANBox

I just built a system for my girlfriend using a Gigabyte G33M-DS2R matx board. It's got all solid caps, ferrite chokes, and a clean layout. It took her E8200 up to 3.2GHz (400x8) without any effort. All I had to do was give the CPU a small voltage bump. Over the next couple days I'll be seeing how much further it will go, although I'll probably stop at 425x8 since she's more interested in stability and and silent computing than pure speed.

So far this motherboard seems rock solid... I'm really happy with it. It's been hard to find it in stock anywhere. All I'm seeing lately are the cheaper versions of it without the solid caps and the layout isn't as good.

Cool, what are the differences between G3x and Q3x though? I'm still having trouble finding any real differences listed anywhere.

I have the P5K-VM and it is a fine overclocker as long as the onboard video is disabled and you are not using an E2xxx series chip which seems to hit a FSB cap around 350. Others have gone as far as 500fsb with the E6xxx series.

The main difference I can see with the Q35 is possibly a newer video card (GMA 3500?) and it looks like asus has put 6 SATA ports and an hdmi port on it as well. Raid support is also available now which means full support for ahci just like the gigabyte boards.

I'm pairing it with an E6300 and an 8800GTS 640 MB.

Back