Good low noise cooler for mild overclock of 3770K?

CoreStoffer

Limp Gawd
OK guys, I need a bit of help here. It had been almost four years since I built my current 920 rig, so I’m a bit out of the loop on the cooler scene. Under the rock, you know. :p

I’m going to get a Core i7-3770K paired with the Asus P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT and 16 GB of ram – probably Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8) Vengean. I’m thinking about a mild overclock to 4GHz and fairly low noise is a priority.

So what should I get? A Corsair A70? Or a Noctua NH-U12P SE2? Or? :confused:

Neither.

Get yourself a Thermaltake Frio Extreme (if you have low profile ram). Both 140mm fans have 4 pin connectors so the speed is controlled by the mobo PMW. Nice and quiet and super cooling

for 4ghz? You could probably hit that on the stock cooler.

The CM 212 series has great bang for you buck. Should also get you to 4.3ghz before you start running into thermal issues.

Thanks MaadDaawg and Jorona for your suggestions.

That Thermaltake Frio Extreme looks kinda bad ass huge, so I'll have to check whether the is room for my ram. The CM 212 Evo might do the trick.

4 GHz to 4.2 GHz is a sensible overclock. You get all of the benefits of low power/voltage and most of the benefit of a faster clock speed. If that's what you're after don't listen to the people above.

I recommend that you get the Cooler Master Hyper212+. It is only $20 with free Super Saver and Prime shipping at Amazon.

The reason I recommend this cooler is because if you read Vortez's excellent review on the Hyper 212 EVO, they found that when you use the same fans the EVO only does 1.25* C better than the 212+. Spending $10 or $15 more for ONE degree in temperature is pointless. Instead buy the 212+ and invest in a high quality heatsink fan like the Gentle Typhoon. You will have a better system overall if you do that. Here is the Vortez review. http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/cooler_master_hyper_212_evo_cpu_cooler_review,13.html

Here is the Hyper212+ for $20. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&sr=8-1&keywords=hyper+212+plus&condition=new

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Neither.

Get yourself a Thermaltake Frio Extreme (if you have low profile ram). Both 140mm fans have 4 pin connectors so the speed is controlled by the mobo PMW. Nice and quiet and super cooling

Another option is to connect the CPU heatsink fan to one of the chasis fan headers on your Z77-V Pro. The chasis fan headers can control 3-pin (voltage regulation) and 4-pin (PWM) fans while the CPU headers can only control PWM fans. This way you can have 3-pin fans slow way down on idle so they are silent, and ramp up to full speed at max load only. I do this with my NH-D14, silent at idle (600rpm), still pretty quiet at load (1200-1300rpm) and they only reach max load after 30+min of BF3.

Another option is to connect the CPU heatsink fan to one of the chasis fan headers on your Z77-V Pro. The chasis fan headers can control 3-pin (voltage regulation) and 4-pin (PWM) fans while the CPU headers can only control PWM fans. This way you can have 3-pin fans slow way down on idle so they are silent, and ramp up to full speed at max load only. I do this with my NH-D14, silent at idle (600rpm), still pretty quiet at load (1200-1300rpm) and they only reach max load after 30+min of BF3.
That's an excellent way to do it. I've done that with my dad's machine in the past and it's worked wonderfully.

OP, the CM 212+ is a solid choice, if you do decide on it. It's been around for quite a long time but it has a good history of being cheap and having decent performance.

Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions and tips.

I went with the CM 212 EVO and did a bit of research on a good fan and went for the NoiseBuster Multiframe S-Series MF12-P (PWM). Expensive fan, but what the heck. :D

For what it's worth, I just got an Antec 620 for my Athlon X4 (I seriously need to upgrade) which is in a pretty cramped SSF case and my idle temps are around 25/27c when it use to be 45/48c. At load I hardly break 35c now.

The Evo is an awesome choice for an air cooler though. :)

4ghz is only a small bump. By "mild overclock" I was thinking more like 4.5ghz haha. It's not going to make a difference since you already bought your cooler, but I'm using a thermalright HR-02. It's designed for low airflow, low noise, while can still cool well. Cost-wise, it's not very cheap though.

I'm currently running at 4.5ghz with only a single 800rpm fan, that's more quiet than ambient noises around me. Of course, this is after I took off the IHS to redo the cheap thermal paste that intel put, it made a 20°C difference. I believe this mod will net you better temps than almost any cooler, and best of all, it's free :D. I just posted it, but more details here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1709268

Hyper212 + or Evo. Also check out the newer version of the Xigmatek Dark Knight.

Really, get whatever is the cheapest at time of purchase.

4ghz is only a small bump. By "mild overclock" I was thinking more like 4.5ghz haha. It's not going to make a difference since you already bought your cooler, but I'm using a thermalright HR-02.

Yeah, well, my humble hope is 4,2 gHz without upping the voltage and just raising the multiplier. That would translate into a 20 percent speed bump. If I get more greedy, I'll get a better cooler. ;)

Ay, screw it. I just ordered a Noctua NH-D14 so I don't have to worry about high temps with a 4,2+ gHz overclock. If you buy cheap, you buy twice. :p

I'm currently running at 4.5ghz with only a single 800rpm fan, that's more quiet than ambient noises around me. Of course, this is after I took off the IHS to redo the cheap thermal paste that intel put, it made a 20°C difference. I believe this mod will net you better temps than almost any cooler, and best of all, it's free :D. I just posted it, but more details here:

Yeah, saw that. Really great video! I hope my IHS is doing a decent job, but if not: *shakes fist @ IHS and put on a threating face expression* :D

Back