Good Lord.... why does this A64 have to be so damn complicated????????

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
Alrighty then...

I tried the A64 scene a couple months ago with a 3200+ Winchester chip along with a DFI NF4 Ultra D motherboard. I was simply shocked at how damn complicated that board's BIOS was w/ trying to figure out all the different O/Cing, CPU and memory options. I finally threw in the towel and said the hell with that. I sent everything back and I went back to my good ole (and trusty) P4 stuff. all we have to do is to set the FSB and the memory ratios. thats it. none of this horsesh*t like HTT this and FSB to ratio that and blah, blah, blah like what I had to deal with on the A64 scene.

okay, so I decided to try it again but this time it was w/ a 3500+ Venice chip along with a Fatal1ty board with the newest 13 BIOS which is supposed to support the Venice chips.

well, once again I was simply amazed at all that different BS crap that was in that motherboard's BIOS as well. oh, and also not to mention that crazy BS that comes along with installing all the nforce drivers and such....

man......... why cant these A64 setups be simple like the P4s? good God...............

Because of the onboard memory controller and the highspeed HT interface. They halp make it fast. If fast is a problem, then go back to Intel.

I guess its just the changing times. More stuff to tweak which accually points to the A64 System architecure in whole being more advanced than the P4 Architecture platform. lol.

But I am an Intel Guy too. So I hear ya, I am intrested in expirimenting with a Dual Core A64 when they surface. Their single core parts do not in the slightest intrest me, but the fact that they designed dual core from the ground up on the K8 makes me happy. I dont like Intels implimentation of dual core yet. And I dont want to wait a year till I see yonah.

ozziegn said:
man......... why cant these A64 setups be simple like the P4s? good God...............
to each their own. i personally enjoy the quirks and complexity that comes with tweaking the a64 for max performance.. makes life more exciting ;)

USMC2Hard4U said:
I am intrested in expirimenting with a Dual Core A64 when they surface.

see, thats what made me try my first A64 a short while ago but Jesus, all them freakin' BIOS settings is enough to drive someone bananas.....

I guess it would be alot easier if I just left everything at stock and I didnt want to O/C but hey, I know that will never happen with me. I have to tweak anything and everything that I own. :p

I look at it as the Motherboard you chose has alot of Options to tinker with in the Bios. I dont think its the A64 that youre haveing a problem with. Im sure if someone wanted to unlock all the features on an Intel board, there would be just as much confusion added to the mix. DFI just wanted the end user to be able to control everything. Which I like...

Edit: Maybe I will just get a new 20' iMac they just updated instead of a PC this round, and wait till next year when Yonah surfaces :)

it's okay, i bought a board that simply refuses to OC.(K8V SE dlx) try to bump her up even a few fsb, and when you reboot, you get Overclock failed! :eek:

Yeah, it's more complicated, but more options mean more ways of faster performance...and the only way to find out is testing.

You can just adjust the CPU's multiplier and the memory speed to overclock if you want, then mess with all the timings/etc later. I jumped back into overclocking into an A64 and I don't think it's not all that tough...I don't get how it's complicated in all honesty. A Pentium overclock is kinda dump and brute-like....increase the FSB and voltages, watch out. :eek:

GodsMadClown said:
. They halp make it fast. If fast is a problem, then go back to Intel.

lol, u r saying that complicated options = fast cpu? I don't really see the connection :rolleyes:

You know, they do write manuals for motherboards, right? :)

There's really no difference to overclocking an A64 over a P4.

The only real difference is the hyper transport speed. Simply put, your hypertransport speed can't exceed the chip's rated HT speed. That why the boards have HT multipliers.

For example....an Athlon 64 3000 Winchester (S939, dual channel) runs at 1.8ghz with a 1ghz HT speed. The FSB is 200mhz and the multiplier is 9 (see, identical to an Intel setup so far in that the FSBxMulti = clockspeed). Now to increase the speed to say 2300mhz you just set your FSB to 255 and leave your multiplier at 9, so far so good, same as an Intel setup. Assuming your ram can run 255 at say 2.5,3,3 or if you're extremely lucky 2,3,3 :), you don't need a memory divider! Again, same as Intel. However, here's the only difference. If you start with a 1ghz HT speed, which is derived by a HT multiplier of 5x200 (5x the FSB) you'd have to decrease the HT to 3 (4x255=1020mhz and 5x255=1275mhz) to keep your hypertransport speed under 1ghz. Very simple. You only need to use a memory divider if your ram can't run at a 1:1 ratio.

Hopefully sheds some light for you. Again, read the manual and ask questions. No question is a stupid question. The only time a stupid question is stupid, is when it's not asked!

ozziegn said:

Simple?? Get a DELL!

Well U go out and but the absolute TotL MoBo for Tweakers and overclockers and U expect it to be simple... Sorry, its just not going to happen. Ive overclocked everything Ive had since the 386 I had. (33@40) and it was never simple. Uread until U understand and then U weak and fail and tweak and fail some more. Get frustrated read up tweak some and all of a sudden it works and Uve learned a lot on the way.

This is going to sound a bit rude but the Nintendo generation really shouldn't mess with hardware. (Nintendogeneration not meant as an age but as a perspective on life)...

just my 0.02€

The cause of your problem is that you keep buying gamer motherboards with leetspeak in the title. They are complicated because their target audience likes them that way. I would suggest a good, boring, Intel-style motherboard, but I can't find one for A64. All the damn hardware sites do are go on and on about Vdimm control and whatnot, without giving an idea of which boards are made of high quality parts (read: overclock well), and which ones are stable and painless to use.

Maybe you should try one the Asus mobo's they always have a simple bios and if you want more they have the option for it. If you went with a DFi mobo and posted this... then I guess you did'nt do your homework and just like bitching. :rolleyes:

I don't know what kind of research you did on choosing your motherboard, but ... you chose the two most complicated mobo's out there :rolleyes: If you ever read any AMD mobo threads, it's very clear that DFI makes mobos that have a great many complicated options for getting out the extra megahertz, and the Fatal1ty ... it's obvious from its name that it's goinna be c00l for l33t h4xx0rz :p

I love the complex options available for A64 overclocking, its much more fun than just turning up the fsb till it bombs. Thiers a very detailed FAQ for a64 overclocking on this very forum, use it. It just takes a little mind power I'm sure you can figure it out.

If you cannot handle all those BIOS setting, you must not be [H]ard enough....

7718 said:
I love the complex options available for A64 overclocking, its much more fun than just turning up the fsb till it bombs. Thiers a very detailed FAQ for a64 overclocking on this very forum, use it. It just takes a little mind power I'm sure you can figure it out.
Geek heaven!
Thousands of settings is how I like it.

its like one extra option when o/c an a64 jeezz. set your multi your fsb then your htt.

doesnt seem that hard.

well, you have to keep your HT speed under 1000mhz, and you have to keep your ram in funtional speed setting. THeirs a thing or 2 about a thing or 2 when it comes to a64 overclocking.

I am with you ozz, after months I still cant figure out any of it so I just said the hell with it and left everything stock. [H] are not I think it should be simpler.

wtf? You guys just won't read the FAQ or something? Its not like AMD needs to tailor their cpu design to make it easier for overclocking. OCing at least started as a geek pastime, perhaps this thread is just showing how mainstream ocing has become, now we have the stoner from the dell commercials going "Dude like whats up with my new athalon 63? It won't oc over 2.2mhz, I think my hypertransport is broken.. Man I should have gotten a dell " :rolleyes:

people will bitch if theres not enough settings in the BIOS, and people will bitch if theres too much giving them more control over their system.

I guess people expect a magic "I WIN OC BUTTON" that automagically overclocks their system for them...and dont want to bother to understand how or why it works.

It wasn't that long ago you had to reset your bios, and play with jumpers everytime you wanted to change your OC...

And yeah, read the damn FAQ if its that hard.

Steel Chicken said:
I guess people expect a magic "I WIN OC BUTTON" that automagically overclocks their system for them..
like the auto detect in the nvidia video drivers that i despise because it takes all the fun out? ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
like the auto detect in the nvidia video drivers that i despise because it takes all the fun out? ;)

Yeah, or the newer BIOS options for automatic overclocking. The MSI K8T's and K8N's have em...but thats just a brute force method, and never as informative or suceesful and tweaking.

Heck, ive had my current setup for well over a year, and last week I was able to do some tweaking to the memory timings to get some more performance out of it...the more you learn, the more fun it is!

yup. i was just using my k8n neo a while ago, and i wonder how i ever lived with the inflexibility

(on that note though.. be aware of a thread about newark later in the day. i have good news :D)

really think your at the wrong forums if you think its too complicated.

Steel Chicken said:
Yeah, or the newer BIOS options for automatic overclocking. The MSI K8T's and K8N's have em...but thats just a brute force method, and never as informative or suceesful and tweaking.

Heck, ive had my current setup for well over a year, and last week I was able to do some tweaking to the memory timings to get some more performance out of it...the more you learn, the more fun it is!

The new Asus mobo's have a o/c feature where you just tell it the % you want to o/c and it does the rest pretty much and using it my friend hit 3.9ghz and while thats all fine and dandy :D he hit 4.2ghz doing it the [H] way! :eek:

You do learn a heck of a lot reading the multiple faq's! I have learned a bunch and am now having a great time oc'ing and learning more tweaks...automagic overclock wouldn't be any fun!

Back