Good lord, prescription lens inserts are an incredible game changer!

atarumoroboshi18

Limp Gawd
Recently purchased a pair of the WidmoVR prescription lens inserts and it's like a brand new system. I thought that since I was near-sighted that it wouldn't really affect me much, but the different is incredibly significant. Took a shot in the dark and these things are AMAZING. If you need glasses and have yet to get these, I promise you, it will entirely change your whole VR experience. Everything looks crazy crisp. Now I just need to cool down the Index and get a larger Index face gasket.

https://widmovr.com/

Oh wow, thanks guys. I had no idea this service existed. It's a bit a chore to wear glasses under HMDs.

I ordered a pair of these not long ago from VR Optician. I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a difference it makes.
For me, the biggest issue is double vision.

I've had my set from VROptician for as long as I've had my CV1. They're indispensable.

I'm also super-jealous of anyone who can get lasik. My eyeballs won't calm down and my rX changes every six months to a year. Makes lasik a non-starter for me. XD

Recently purchased a pair of the WidmoVR prescription lens inserts and it's like a brand new system. I thought that since I was near-sighted that it wouldn't really affect me much, but the different is incredibly significant. Took a shot in the dark and these things are AMAZING. If you need glasses and have yet to get these, I promise you, it will entirely change your whole VR experience. Everything looks crazy crisp. Now I just need to cool down the Index and get a larger Index face gasket.

https://widmovr.com/
It's great to hear, although I don't play games near enough, plus I just wear my glasses with my headset on anyways, not sure how much a difference it'll make between lenses vs wearing my glasses or contacts.

It's great to hear, although I don't play games near enough, plus I just wear my glasses with my headset on anyways, not sure how much a difference it'll make between lenses vs wearing my glasses or contacts.

Contacts are obviously the best solution but can be annoying to put in if don't already regularly wear them. Advantages over wearing glasses include not worrying about scratching, more comfort with less pressure on temples, and potentially higher FOV. The closer you can get to the screen the wider the effective FOV will be.

Edit: Also will be more important with Quest 2. On quest 1 you could adjust IPD to whatever you want to match your glasses. On Quest 2 there are only 3 IPD settings. Get lenses that match appropriately. From that thingyverse page with instructions for quest 2 users: (use IPD 65mm to align with the optical centers of the headset lenses. You can then use the physical IPD adjustment on the headset to change the IPD.)

A lot of people like this company too: https://vroptician.com/

In my case I got Lasik and called it a day ;)

Check back in when you turn 45-50. The Mrs had lasik back in 2004ish and she has had to wear glasses to read anything for 10 years. She can drive fine, but can't read the display on the radio. Lasik fixes your vision at the 20/20 distance range but doesn't account for close up as we all get older and our eyes lose near range. My uncle is same way, he has to bust out readers to even use his phone, he had lasik 2004 or 2005ish..

I don't have VR because it makes me barf, but I assume corrective insert lenses would be cool for those that need them. I do wear contacts during the day, but the though of wearing them with goggles strapped to my head for any length of time..... I dunno man.

Not sure when you last tried VR but stable and high framerates are key to a good experience there. Don't know if would be willing to try again but something like an Index with a 3080 induces way less nausea as you can get a locked 120 fps in most titles with a bigger field of view so it feels more natural.

For example, when I tried VR with a 580 class GPU it was bad times. Felt good with locked 90Hz on the samsung O+ with a better card. I'm living with the 72Hz of the Quest for now even though it feels slightly worse because of the wireless but I'm so ready for wireless 90Hz

Any reason just wearing contact lenses won't do the trick?
for person not wearing contacts on daily basis, it would be a hassle to put them on just to play VR. Also as a former contacts user, mine would felt dry and uncomfortable after a whole day wearing them even after using eye drops.

Or...invest in yourself.
I got a SMILE surgery 3 years ago...best investment in myself for years ;)

(Remember, contacts blocks oxygen to your iris...and after a certain amount of years yo have to choose...lenses...or permanent eye-damage)

Not sure when you last tried VR but stable and high framerates are key to a good experience there. Don't know if would be willing to try again but something like an Index with a 3080 induces way less nausea as you can get a locked 120 fps in most titles with a bigger field of view so it feels more natural.

For example, when I tried VR with a 580 class GPU it was bad times. Felt good with locked 90Hz on the samsung O+ with a better card. I'm living with the 72Hz of the Quest for now even though it feels slightly worse because of the wireless but I'm so ready for wireless 90Hz

Good to know. Rather high price tag just to try again though. I need a rich local friend who I can visit and try their gear out first. :)

+1 on corrective inserts, but honestly if you have glasses and you've never tried anything corrective then you need more hobbies (ie Corrective ski goggles, diving masks, sunglasses etc). Everything sucks when you have to cram glasses under them.

(Remember, contacts blocks oxygen to your iris...and after a certain amount of years yo have to choose...lenses...or permanent eye-damage)
This is the stupidest fucking thing i've ever heard. I wore contacts every day for almost 20 years and my eyes are just fine. Just take them out each night and clean them.

Reactions: Liver
like this
Most contact lenses these days have improved oxygen permeability but lack of oxygen was a thing for early contact lenses (think 1980's to early 2000's) and could cause damage. Different contact lenses have different oxygen permeabilities and its listed on the box as the Dk value. Modern lenses range from 17 Dk/t to over 163 Dk/t for high oxygen permeable lenses. I personally would not want to wear low permeability lenses long term. Look on the box, if the Dk is in the mid 50-100+ evidence suggests its perfectly safe for long term wear. Low Dk is associated with chances of more eye problems. It doesn't guarantee you will have issues but increases your risk. Maybe the other poster isn't familiar with new lens material types--the statement about increased risk of harm was probably true 20-40 years ago.

“Evidence supports the routine prescribing of silicone hydrogel contact lens materials in preference to conventional hydrogels for daily wear use to avoid deleterious clinical sequelae due to corneal hypoxia.”
Morgan PB, Brennan NA, Maldonado-Codina C, et al. Central and Peripheral Oxygen Transmissibility Thresholds to Avoid Corneal Swelling During Open Eye Soft Contact Lens Wear. J Biomed Mater Res Part B: Appl Biomater; 2010 Feb;92(2):361-65.
See Also:
https://www.reviewofcontactlenses.com/article/a-breath-of-fresh-air

https://www.alensa.co.uk/dictionary/oxygen-permeability.html

like this
lol 20-40 years ago? Ok peeps, before you try to connect your gamepads to your pc remember to check for IRQ availability. But worry not! I hear there is this newfangled technology right around the corner called USB.

sounds like factum tried to make himself appear smart and got called out by people who have actual experience

Last edited:
like this
do they just pop on or do you have to take the headset apart?
As far as I know they all pop on over the lens rather than replacing it. Most companies that sell lens sets use 3D printed holders. Same thing if you DIY it using a $10 Zennioptical lens. Fits over the existing lens like a cap.

I have a Valve Index and though it seems to be fine with my glasses (admittedly I have frameless type glasses so maybe smaller than some), I do get a little worried about bringing the lenses of the Index too close, them bumping during movement (which has only happened infrequently) but am still worried about scratching. Thus, I'd be willing to buy custom Rx lenses for my Index provided they at least don't mess with the function or better yet improve it.

That said, maybe a few here can weigh in on which to select. First, has anyone used lenses with something like the vrcover.com face cushion upgrades etc, or will they not be compatible?

Next, I see people are generally discussing widmovr.com vs vroptician.com for the actual Rx lenses . WidmoVR seems to be based out of Poland (at first I didn't see them list a location and had to pick through their Facebook posts; I had thought they were out of Asia prior to this), and VROptician is based out of Germany. Does either one make a higher quality lens overall? Both seem to have equal options for inputting your prescription which is good, but I notice Widmo offers a "High Index" option for an additional cost. Those with thicker prescriptions or simply want a thinner lens benefit from these; I usually get them on my glasses since they're frameless. VR Optician does not specify if there is a high index option or if all lenses qualify by default. They both offer a blue light protection option, where as VR Optician specifically notes it is the Zeiss coating so I'm unsure how it compares to what Widmo uses. Likewise, VR Optician claims that there are other coatings (anti reflective etc.. ) built into the base price. If I'm buying anyway from either company , I'd easily pick up the blue light protection provided that it does not cause a visible change in color shift, vibrancy, or brightness .

So anyone know how they stack up? I saw someone suggest that Widmo is way cheaper to ship to the US so that's always good to know. Anything else to consider? Thanks

I think people that have used both WidmoVR and VROptician will be somewhat rare--VR glasses inserts is already kinda a niche product. One difference I can think of that you didn't bring up was that WidmoVR seems to use 3D printed holders while VROptician uses injection molded from the pics I see on their websites. Not sure how big a difference that makes. No idea about lens quality as I did the cheapo DIY option with the $10 lenses and 3D printed holder.

I bought a pair from VROptician for the Quest 2, and they're a bit difficult with this headset. Even with the glasses spacer, it becomes significantly more difficult to get the headset in a position where it is clear once they are installed.
It might be easier if they offered a wider glasses spacer, but the included one is really thin.

I have a Valve Index and though it seems to be fine with my glasses (admittedly I have frameless type glasses so maybe smaller than some), I do get a little worried about bringing the lenses of the Index too close, them bumping during movement (which has only happened infrequently) but am still worried about scratching. Thus, I'd be willing to buy custom Rx lenses for my Index provided they at least don't mess with the function or better yet improve it.

That said, maybe a few here can weigh in on which to select. First, has anyone used lenses with something like the vrcover.com face cushion upgrades etc, or will they not be compatible?

Next, I see people are generally discussing widmovr.com vs vroptician.com for the actual Rx lenses . WidmoVR seems to be based out of Poland (at first I didn't see them list a location and had to pick through their Facebook posts; I had thought they were out of Asia prior to this), and VROptician is based out of Germany. Does either one make a higher quality lens overall? Both seem to have equal options for inputting your prescription which is good, but I notice Widmo offers a "High Index" option for an additional cost. Those with thicker prescriptions or simply want a thinner lens benefit from these; I usually get them on my glasses since they're frameless. VR Optician does not specify if there is a high index option or if all lenses qualify by default. They both offer a blue light protection option, where as VR Optician specifically notes it is the Zeiss coating so I'm unsure how it compares to what Widmo uses. Likewise, VR Optician claims that there are other coatings (anti reflective etc.. ) built into the base price. If I'm buying anyway from either company , I'd easily pick up the blue light protection provided that it does not cause a visible change in color shift, vibrancy, or brightness .

So anyone know how they stack up? I saw someone suggest that Widmo is way cheaper to ship to the US so that's always good to know. Anything else to consider? Thanks
I had bought from Widmo for my Vive. I bought from VR Optician for my Index. Either option doesn't interfere at all with any and all third-party cushion upgrades. I'm also using the Studioform Index Enthusiast Kit (the straps and weight balancing), which is awesome. I gotta think either lens option would work fine. Totally subjectively speaking...and understanding I've not used my Vive in years...I feel the Widmo lenses just *fit* better. It was a tighter, more secure fit. Since I was usually the only one using the Vive, I did prefer that. The VR Optician lens doesn't really snap in like the Widmo did. Vision wise, it's honestly hard to compare since the two VR sets are so different. While I want to say the VR Optician/Index lenses do indeed provide a better visual image, the fact is that the Index itself is a better headset. Bottom line, I do think either would be fine but I'd probably order from Widmo for my next insert...whenever that may be! But I do strongly recommend you get *something*. The ease of use...just putting on the goggles with your "eyes" already in place and not having to worry about scratches...is priceless.

Thanks for your input, everyone. I'm kind of surprising that the Widmo 3D printed holder lenses would fit better vs the apparently injection molded process by VROptician. I wonder if the fit changes you've experienced could be the difference between the Vive and the Index design and how they fit in etc?

Oh, I wrote VROptician asking about their lack of a "high index" option and they told me that it is essentially "bundled" in if your prescription benefits from it. For instance, for my prescription they'd use a 1.67 index on my fairly high prescription. They also mentioned that the Zeiss blue light coating does change the color (but not brightness) just slightly and mentioned that I don't have blue light protection on my glasses its not likely necessary on VR lenses either (albeit, I am considering if its worth it to get on my next set of glasses provide it doesn't shift the color much). For anyone who has used either Widmo or VR Optician, did you get the blue light protection? Was the color shift noticeable to you? Likewise, if you have a high end blue light coating on your standard glasses, your experience there would also be welcome

Thanks again.

Update on my lenses with the Quest 2:

I purchased the fit pack, and with the narrow faceplate, I'm now much happier with the fit and focus on the lenses. Getting the faceplate right is apparently much more important with the add-in lenses than with stock. The correct fit of the faceplate does a lot to keep the headset in exactly the right spot.
Of course, parts of the set, like the light blocking inserts, can't be used with the lenses, so it may be worth trying to track down just the faceplate you need.

Back