Good local co-op games on Steam?

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
Can anyone make some recommendations on good local co-op games available on Steam? Been years since I did something like that, and we have a 150" projector screen setup that would be lots of fun. Only thing is it needs to be *co-op*, nothing adversarial.

Something that works with two controllers would be especially good... is such a thing even possible on PC (i.e. two 360 controllers plugged in at the same time like on a console?)

Guacamelee
Any of the Lego games
Magicka is a blast local coop

Also steam has a local coop category you can search with

Some of those don't seem to be co-op at all. At least clicking on random games I saw a lot that only showed PvP in the videos. That Vortex Attack does look great for the price. It's the kind of game I wished I had 15 years ago when quick action games were all I needed to be enthralled.

Yeah, this is why I made this thread, because searching "local co-op" on Steam yields a LOT of PVP titles which I didn't want.

Thanks for the other suggestions so far though!

this is a old one but I have always had a blast playing coop Serious Sam.. Have literally fallen out of my chair laughin playing that series of games coop. Was great fun.

There are amazing local co op games for endless fun to be experienced and yes they are available on steam. Frankly, I am surprised I didn't see any of them mentioned here.

1. Hidden in Plain Sight

If you have 2 or 3 friends to come over, you will laugh until you cry (or kill each other) playing this one. It is essentially a game of controlling same looking sprites and competing (and co operating) towards several goals. Many modes, simple yet effective graphics, hugely addictive.

Example: 50 similar looking sprites on screen. 3 players. 2 of them are a team, as snipers (you see two crosshairs on screen) and one of them is someone among the many similar sprites (the player even has to figure out which one he/she is). There are coins scattered all over the place. The sprite player must collect as many as he can, but doing it in such a way that will not reveal himself to the snipers.

Now, a sniper's crosshair also comes with a rather small light circle around it. If a coin is gathered while the sprite controller is under his flashlight, the coin will disappear immediately and the sniper will easily (most of the time) locate and execute the thief. If the sprite controller robs coins while off the flashlight, the coins will disappear when a sniper's flashlight goes over them.

2. Thief Town

Similar to Hidden, with different presenation. This one graphically looks like some far west scene escaped from an Atari 2600 prison and ended up on steam. Again, gather 2-3 friends and enjoy.

Honorable mentions: Nidhogg

I am very interested in this topic as well. Love having people over and playing local multiplayer games on the same big screen. Here are some of the good ones we’ve tried – looking forward to trying some other recs from this thread!

Blur – only split-screen racing game I’ve found, it’s like Mario Cart only with real cars
Trine (all of them) – really great same-screen co-op platformer
The Cave – very clever side-scrolling adventure puzzle co-op game
Octodad: Dadliest Catch – hilarious physics comedy game, co-op mode lets each player take control of different limbs of the same character! You will laugh ‘till it hurts
Castle Crashers – very fun side-scrolling casual RPG, same-screen co-op
Street Fighter 4 – I’m not big into fighting games, probably a lot more similar and/or newer, but that’s the only one I have
Serious Sam: BFE – has split-screen MP and Co-Op modes, the MP reminded me a lot of classic Golden-Eye, good times!
Borderlands 2? – Supposedly has split-screen option, but I’ve never tried it that way

I’ll have to look over my library when I get home and see if I have any others to recommend.

Something that works with two controllers would be especially good... is such a thing even possible on PC (i.e. two 360 controllers plugged in at the same time like on a console?)

Oh, missed this second part. Yes, get the wireless PC USB receiver for 360 controllers, and you can run up to 4 controllers at a time. Or Mouse/Keyboard and 3 controllers. Most of the games I listed are for 3 or 4 players.

Here's the receiver. (There are lots of off-brand versions of this, but I think this link is the official one). Install the right MS drivers and the controllers will work properly with force-feedback and everything.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2/
And any 360 wireless controllers should work with that receiver.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Glossy-Black/dp/B003ZSP0WW/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
we use wired controllers and just have 3 of them to plug in (need the usb ports)..

I love the receiver as well but got tired of batteries and charging :)

I just found Rocket League on Steam, which is an amazing game. Also has up to 4 player local split screen.

Spelunky!!

Sonic all stars racing

2nd mention of the Lego games.

My kids and I have played countless hours of all of the above

Another vote for Towerfall. Also Broforce is a lot of fun local. Just make sure you have 360 pads.

Back