Good Laptop Under $1k

DarkLegacy

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have this trip to the Philippines coming up In July. I'm going to be meeting my Girlfriends extended family. The trip alone will run me anywhere from $3.5 . 4.5k. Staying for two weeks. So calculating bills & the rent that needs to be payed prior to the trip, that should leave me with around 1 K, give or take. Already calculated everything else like gas, food, etc.I still have a while & I've been digging hard. Ebay, Newegg, Zipzoomfly, Circuit City, Best Buy, Pricewatch, Tiger Direct, Dell, Gateway, Hp, etc. Been looking for that best bang for the buck laptop. I only plan to play 2 games tops on it. World of Warcraft & UT. If anything, I may run TF2 on it if I can. But WOW & UT being my main two. Will probally go with an 8600 GS at the absolute minimum for a GPU. So if anyone happens to know an excellent deal going on a decent laptop, plz make me aware. All of the better ones I've seen start at the $1049 & up range.

If you're planning to play just WoW and the original UT, integrated graphics should handle them just fine. Just letting you know if you're trying to get one on a budget...

Just be aware that Asus kind of flawed their 15.4'' model on that laptop because of where they placed the touchpad. Instead of being offset more to the left, they put it right in the middle of the laptop so when you type your palm hits the touchpad causing stuff to get erased and the cursor the jump, etc.

You should take a look at the Dell Vostro line of small business laptops. They occasionally run a sale a few times a months where you can take $500 off any system that is customized to $1250-$1300 or more. There happens to be such a sale going on right now:

Vostro 1500 - $500 off $1249 or higher (15.4 inch):

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...&oc=bqcwkvs&s=bsd&dgc=CJ&cid=27811&lid=653705

Vostro 1700 - $500 off 1299 or higher (17 inch):

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...n&oc=bqcwl1s&s=bsd&dgc=BF&cid=7421&lid=197378

The Geforce 8600M GT is an option of either of these laptops.

Depending on which laptop you chose, you should end up with paying around $750-$800 after the discount.

Very good find Jawadali. I am very greatful for that. Now I'm just hoping the $500 off holds up until Thursday where I'll have enough to get the 17" model =P.

-Edit

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional edit
PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9. Does NOT Include MS Word edit
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife™ edit
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive, with Roxio Creator edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT edit
HARD DRIVE 80GB 5400RPM Hard Drive edit
MEDIA DIRECT Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software Application edit
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Internal-card edit
WEBCAM No Webcam Option edit

This seems to be a very good config for the price. $1376 minus the $500 which equals $876. I will be getting more memory off of newegg for cheaper. I did not want to past up on the T9300. Could simply get one myself but I rather not have to open up the laptop for any reason. A Damn good deal I must say. Just hope the -$500 holds up until thursday. I'm all over this.

No Problem; I'm not fully sure, but I think the offer is valid until the 31st or until a certain amount of discount redemptions are met (usually 6,000-20,000); whichever comes first.

However, a similar sale does come up every few weeks for the Vostro line.

If you do get it, please post back with to share your experience. I was playing with some configurations of the 1500 and 1700, but they charge a lot to upgrade to the Higher-end CPUs (the jump from the T8100 to the T9300 is $250!).

Back