Good i7-5820k CPU Cooling - Help

bluedim

n00b
I'm doing my first Video Editing/Graphic Design PC build. I'm looking into getting the i7 5820k for this build. There are so many kinds of coolers and I'm not exactly sure what to look for in a cooler. I'd like to know which cooler is best for it? I also want to overclock it sometime in the future, so I need a good cooler to handle it...can anyone recommend anything...

Greetings

If you do it right the first time round you can't go wrong and for this I recommend the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E/IB-E for a couple of reasons.

(1) I just use mine with only one fan in the central position and I didn't bother with the second one, and with this configuration the cooler clears the memory slots on either side completely so it doesn't matter how high your RAM happens to be, this is not guaranteed with other coolers so you have to check very carefully.

(2) With my hexacore 4930K I have overclocked it to 4.2Ghz and had the temperature max out at 67C running OCCT which was using 100% cpu usage across all 12 cpu's, (room was probably around 23C), your cpu will not be much different to mine.

(3) Much quieter than other similar coolers like Phanteks and Noctua which will cool another 1-2 degrees more but usually at the expense of another 5-10 decibels in increased noise.

If you need better than this then only a custom water cooling setup will do better.

Cheers

P.S. Do not get the "extreme" version of this cooler as they spin the fans at dustbuster levels like 68 decibels or so for not that much better cooling efficiency.

Last edited:
A Noctura NH-D14 or D15 would be my personal choice.

If your budget will allow it, you should go for the i7 5930k so you get 40 PCI-e lanes.

Cooler fit depends on motherboard heatsinks, PCIe & RAM sockets, RAM height, and case clearances.

The Silver Arrow coolers are very good .. and getting the extreme version doesn't mean it will be louder. I often use the TY-143 fans on coolers. They are as quiet and performs as well as expensive Noctua NF-A14 / A15 series fans at same rpm .. and all it takes to keep them quiet is to setup the fan curve to stay below 1300rpm - 1500rpm .. unless you are running system above 8-90% load you won't have enough heat for them to run any faster.

There are many very good coolers in the $50.0 range that perform within a couple degrees of the very best air coolers.

Let us know the needed info about case and components and we can make suggestions that will fit. ;)

Greetings

If you do it right the first time round you can't go wrong and for this I recommend the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E/IB-E for a couple of reasons.

(1) I just use mine with only one fan in the central position and I didn't bother with the second one, and with this configuration the cooler clears the memory slots on either side completely so it doesn't matter how high your RAM happens to be, this is not guaranteed with other coolers so you have to check very carefully.

(2) With my hexacore 4930K I have overclocked it to 4.2Ghz and had the temperature max out at 67C running OCCT which was using 100% cpu usage across all 12 cpu's, (room was probably around 23C), your cpu will not be much different to mine.

(3) Much quieter than other similar coolers like Phanteks and Noctua which will cool another 1-2 degrees more but usually at the expense of another 5-10 decibels in increased noise.

If you need better than this then only a custom water cooling setup will do better.

Cheers

P.S. Do not get the "extreme" version of this cooler as they spin the fans at dustbuster levels like 68 decibels or so for not that much better cooling efficiency.

I'm also shopping for a decent cooler for my 5820K. I picked up an H212 Evo to hold me over until I found a suitable cooler for the chip to OC to 4GHz.

I'm a big fan of Thermalright and have been buying their products for years. However, at close to $100, do you think it's worth it to go for this cooler over a similarly priced AIO water cooler such as the Corsair H110i?

Personally, I don't have room for the H110i at the moment, but I am considering a new case. I know the air vs. water debate come down to personal preference, but I was just wondering what your thoughts are. The Thermalright HSF with the single fan in the middle sounds very tempting.

I'm using an h110i with four Phanteks 140mm fans on my setup, and am able to get one of the highest 5 5820k overclocks in the current leaderboard. Idles at 33C with the fans around 25%, and tops out just under 70 with Linx. http://valid.x86.fr/mgprs1 The 5930k is a complete waste of money. Full stop.

Happy to share any PWM profiles, or BIOS settings.

I would stay with 5820k and save the money for better cooler. I would recommend Noctua DH 15 for quiet and reiable performance.

I'm also shopping for a decent cooler for my 5820K. I picked up an H212 Evo to hold me over until I found a suitable cooler for the chip to OC to 4GHz.

I'm a big fan of Thermalright and have been buying their products for years. However, at close to $100, do you think it's worth it to go for this cooler over a similarly priced AIO water cooler such as the Corsair H110i?

Personally, I don't have room for the H110i at the moment, but I am considering a new case. I know the air vs. water debate come down to personal preference, but I was just wondering what your thoughts are. The Thermalright HSF with the single fan in the middle sounds very tempting.
Read the post just before yours. :p

The only AIO better than air are Swiftech H220-X and H240-X .. and maybe the new H140-X. They are not CLC and components can be added to them .. like GPU waterblock and/or aditional radiator.

Read the post just before yours. :p

The only AIO better than air are Swiftech H220-X and H240-X .. and maybe the new H140-X. They are not CLC and components can be added to them .. like GPU waterblock and/or aditional radiator.

Thanks. :)

Having owned a Silver Arrow before migrating to the Cooler Master Glacer 240L, I can recommend the Glacer or a good AIO like one of the Swiftech's it is based on (H220-X or 240-X being best) if your case can accommodate it. For my previous setup (4770k @ 4.6Ghz), the glacer at moderate fan settings was about 5C cooler at full load when overclocked than my Silver Arrow. Not a ton of difference in performance, but that plus the fact that a AIO makes it easier to access components on the motherboard compared to the enormous Thermalright cooler which covers a lot of real estate and adds a lot of weight to the motherboard. Both top end air and AIO are solid options, just depends on what pluses and minuses you value more.

Last edited:
Silver Attow, Phanteks 14PE, Noctua 14 or 15D can't go wrong with any of them
Also Swiftech made All in One systems if you want water.

all X99 stuff can really kick out some heat. I'd say if you want air cooling, settle only for the top shelf stuff like the D15.

But tbh I'd say look at a top notch AIO. Pricey, but so is X99 in general. You could be in hot water real fast if you bump voltage and mhz just a little bit and then make the mistake of running prime95.

You could get into custom water to, but that's an additional hobby on it's own.

Back