Good home theater speaker systems? Intimus?

ryanjg11

Gawd
I'm looking for a kickass 6.1 system, not necessarily a home-theater-in-a-box. I have read some good remarks about the Aperion Intimus speakers (CNET especially) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. They seem to be relatively competitively priced for the setup I'm looking for (about $2,200 for the speakers, subwoofer and stands) and can apparently compete with speakers many more times as expensive. I just wanted to get some fair opinions on these speakers.

Also, what do you think of Onkyo's receivers and DVD players? I was looking at going with their entry-level THX receiver (around $400) and one of their DVD players.

Lastly, is Monster Cable really worth the premium? If it's anything like car audio wires, I will assume not. Where can I find some affordable speaker wire that is just as clean as the Monster Cable?

Thanks!

(I work at Circuit City, ive played with everything)

Monster cable makes good wire, but you dont need to go with the thx1000s to get good cable, i would recommend something more middle of the line, after that there isnt a difference.

Everything Onkyo makes is awesome, great quality at a great price.

For speakers, the best ive had experience with is Polk (except for you Subwoofer) For $2000 you can get an awesome setup from them.

Onkyo's recievers are really good quality. I don't know about their dvd players though

phatnadz said:
Lastly, is Monster Cable really worth the premium? If it's anything like car audio wires, I will assume not. Where can I find some affordable speaker wire that is just as clean as the Monster Cable?
Read this FAQ and then ask your self that agian.

As for speakers...well the only thing I know is that BOSE really sucks and that I've been liking Klipsch speakers for awhile now.

They are ok though for the cost I would rather get a set of Axiom or Ascend Acoustic speakers. Depends really on what type of sound you like from your speakers. The Aperions are supposed to be very bright. The Axioms are supposedly bright but detailed. The Ascends are more neutral and revealing. Those are the companies I would check out before purchasing the Aperions.

You can always check out Fluance speakers. Pretty good bang for the buck...and no they are not the "white van" speaker company.....I have the HT in a box set it is very impressive for only $250

I own the Onkyo ht 760(entry level stuff). I am really pleased. Especially for the $. This Item probably isn't going to get on your short list, but I would definitely consider Onkyo's higher end equipment if I had more $ to spend.

Back