Good heatsink for Socket T (775)?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
What are some good heatsinks for Socket T (775 Prescot) Pentium 4 processors? Budget is probably $60 max.

I recommend Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 for $33 at NewEgg

I'm very happy with it, ever since I bought it I feel like I bought a new system... I am so happy that I recommend it to anyone who is looking. It doesn't need tools, easy installation, fan already included and very quiet... I can only hear my video card.

Check this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=851387

Good luck finding your HS

Thanks, that thread had some good info. I am torn between:

Arctic-Cooling Freezer 7

ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775

Both look great, but the Zalman is about $20 more. My CPU will probably be a 3.0GHz Prescor (heard they OC great). Which one do you think gives me the greatest chance of hitting 4.0GHz with the coolest temps?

Also, is Arctic Silver 5 thermal compund worth the money? How big of a temp difference will I see between AS5 and the stock compound?

I'd definitely go for the Freezer 7 over the 7700 if I were you. I just switched from a 7700 to the Freezer 7 myself. Better temps, just as quiet (much quieter at full speed), and the copper 7700 weighs almost twice as much. Plus the Freezer 7 is cheaper!

I'd definitely recommend the AS5. A tube of this stuff goes a long way and you'll never regret buying it. If you don't mind runing ~1-2C warmer the MX-1 paste included with the Freezer 7 ain't half bad either though and you'll save $12.

xXxDieselxXx said:
I recommend Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 for $33 at NewEgg

I'm very happy with it, ever since I bought it I feel like I bought a new system... I am so happy that I recommend it to anyone who is looking. It doesn't need tools, easy installation, fan already included and very quiet... I can only hear my video card.

Check this thread:

Good luck finding your HS

I grabbed one at Directron for a lower price. I advise you to get it before they raise the price. ^^

I second Grenadier's recommendation.
After checking many reviews I went for the AS-5 Thermal paste I didn't want to risk it with the MX-1 that comes with the AC Freezer 7.

Just make sure you apply the paste following the instructions the Arctic Silver WEB sites has.

Good luck with whatever decision you make... post results after please

:D

Back