good heatsink for Q6600?

mxpxrulzz

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I stupidly ordered the OEM version from clubit completely forgetting that it dosent come with a heatsink.

My goals are to run this thing as fast as possible with no vcore increase. I was hoping for 400 x 8, but will settle for 400 x 7 or 430 x 7 if possible with my ram and mobo. (ip35-e and patriot DDR2 800)

My question is what heatsink should I look for? The zalman looks good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

but i see it is technically not rated for the quad core. AM I going to have to get its more expensive brother? :(
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

I basically am just looking for the most bang for my buck.

Thermalright Ultima 90 is almost as good as the Ultra 120 Extreme and half the price. It's a good heatsink.

My goals are to run this thing as fast as possible with no vcore increase. I was hoping for 400 x 8

3.6ghz on stock voltage? Sorry, but you should prepare yourself now for this not being a reality. My q6600 seems to overclock pretty well and I can get it to 3.2 with no increase. 3.6 is a lot to ask for.

Thermalright Ultima 90 is almost as good as the Ultra 120 Extreme and half the price. It's a good heatsink.

3.6ghz on stock voltage? Sorry, but you should prepare yourself now for this not being a reality. My q6600 seems to overclock pretty well and I can get it to 3.2 with no increase. 3.6 is a lot to ask for.

8x400 = 3200 :p

Hurf. I read it as 9x400 for some weird reason. Sorry! You're right, 3.2 without increasing your voltages is perfectly reasonable if you get a good chip.

awesome! I will look into that.

what hsf are you using?

How do you think this zalman CNPS9500 would do with teh quadcore?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

Thermalright 120 Extreme and get a good 120mm fan of your choice

I totally agree with this. Until I slapped this bad boy into my case, I couldn't get it stable above 3.1GHz. After installing this my q-core is running absolutely rock stable at 3.42GHz with a +.05 bump in voltage, which I am very happy with. I know this could be pushed further with more powah, which I will probably do when I've more time, but I'm very pleased with an almost 30% overclock.

Look into the thermaltake V1.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102&Tpk=thermaltake+v1

Bought this thing 2 weeks ago and its great. My stock idle temps are 31-32c and load at 45-46c. with coretemp and speedfan. However, i did do a mild Oc to 3.0 and i got up to 51-57c on load. Vcore @ 1.38. It was cheap, easy to install, and it was 100% flat. Its one of the best bang for the buck and it performs well. Oh and theres no difference in temperatures with the Fan @ 1300rpms or 2100rpms (max). So its very quite.

I use the Ultima 90 on my quad, smaller than the TRUE 120 and cools just about as good with a lot less weight.

I don't understand how you guys can spend 2 bills on a CPU then SKIMP out so badly on a heatsink when you plan to OC like mad.

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is pretty much one of the best heatsinks out there for quads.

I don't understand how you guys can spend 2 bills on a CPU then SKIMP out so badly on a heatsink when you plan to OC like mad.

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is pretty much one of the best heatsinks out there for quads.

It's not skimping to buy something that will work perfectly fine.

There's no point in spending 25% of the price of the CPU just on a HSF, especially when one at half the price like a Freezer will be just as effective.

The AC7 Pro cant/wont cope with a high oc on a Q6600.I tried it,and it failed miserably

The V1 and ULTIMA 90I are stellar sinks when dealing with the heat a Qaud pumps out.

I have all three and would go with the u90i hands down,if you want your own fan,if not grab the V1,if,you can find it on sale,or with a rebate.

Well, you see every HSF Mfgr wants your money, But believe me, silver metal is more conductive than gold.

when you plan to OC like mad.

....He's not. He's not even increasing the voltage. :rolleyes:

If you're looking for bang for your buck, the AC Freezer 7 pro will be more than fine.

Though yes, if you are really planning on upping the voltage at some point and trying to take that chip anywhere serious you should probably invest in a more serious 'sink.

How do you think this zalman CNPS9500 would do with teh quadcore?

I have the Zalman CNPS9500, idles at 55 C. The stock cooler idles at 62 C. I have an order in this week for the Thermalright Ultima-90, best bang for the buck in my opinion. Does 95% of the Ultra 120 Extreme, but about half the cost.

With 2 instances of Orthos (1 instance on Core 0/1 and the 2nd instance on 2/3) it gets about 82 C. From what I've read, the Ultima-90 idles around 34 C and under load is about 50 C.

BTW, I have a Q6600 G0 stepping, on stock voltage I can get 3.6 GHz, not 100% stable with 100% CPU load on all 4 cores, but stable in all Windows apps. Waiting for that Thermalright to try for 4.0 GHz!

I have the Zalman CNPS9500, idles at 55 C. The stock cooler idles at 62 C. I have an order in this week for the Thermalright Ultima-90, best bang for the buck in my opinion. Does 95% of the Ultra 120 Extreme, but about half the cost.

With 2 instances of Orthos (1 instance on Core 0/1 and the 2nd instance on 2/3) it gets about 82 C. From what I've read, the Ultima-90 idles around 34 C and under load is about 50 C.

BTW, I have a Q6600 G0 stepping, on stock voltage I can get 3.6 GHz, not 100% stable with 100% CPU load on all 4 cores, but stable in all Windows apps. Waiting for that Thermalright to try for 4.0 GHz!

awesome.. I'm really leaning towards the zalman.

Where are you getting the ultima-90 at? Dosent seem to be in stock at the egg.

the Thermalright Ultima-90, best bang for the buck in my opinion. Does 95% of the Ultra 120 Extreme, but about half the cost.

You're going to be looking at an 8-10c difference between the two on a heavily OC'd processor under load. Its not "95%". (Though I am not saying it is in anyway a bad sink)

awesome.. I'm really leaning towards the zalman.

Where are you getting the ultima-90 at? Dosent seem to be in stock at the egg.

www.heatsinkfactory.com The Ultima-90 is $46.99 and the fan Scythe S-Flex 1600 RPM (SFF21F) is $14.99 ($24.99 at Newegg). Since I would have spent the $10 extra, I added a tube of Arctic Silver Ceramique for $4.99.

You're going to be looking at an 8-10c difference between the two on a heavily OC'd processor under load. Its not "95%". (Though I am not saying it is in anyway a bad sink)

yeah and that zalman that the OP was talking about is not going to perform like a 120 either so comparing it against a 90 is reasonable. they will be similar perfomance, similar price.

personally i went with the 120 and LOVE it. i can't say enough about it. just make sure you have a big case. this thing is a beast.
My bro has a zalman, its a nice heatsink. But i wouldnt want it for my quad. its a G0 but im still at 73 degrees at full load after 4 hours. I have 8 fans in my case so i aint the airflow. The 2%ish performance difference are night and day at my clock. I'm running at 3.45.
If you really want to get 3.2 out of your chip, then don't skimp out on the cooling. G0s are cooler, but quads are by no means cool.

I have the TUE120 and a B3 q6600 vid 1.35. I had to crank the voltage to 1.5125 for it to be stable at 8*400. My temps with core temp and 4*prime94 for 24 hours peaked 71c. I haven't tried anything past 3200 simply because I am happy. I hear all these stories of dood my q6600 is at 6.7ghz 22c idle and 29c under full load! is that good? I'm like wtf? I am no where near those clocks. Anyways don't be discouraged if you can't get to what seems like the norm. My B3 just needs juice so don't get upset if your temps are high or need to pump the tricity to it.

I'm 8--10c cooler at 3ghz full load with the Freezer 7 pro, over stock Intel. That's more than enough for me.

well, i decided on the Zalman CNPS9500 and according to coretemp my q6600 is running at 38-33-36-42 :cool:

1) is coretemp accurate? (ip35-e)
2)are these decent temps? (its at stock right now)

Tuniq is heavy,sometimes hard to install,and pieces on it,have been known to snap of at ill advised times.

The Ultima90 offers all the Tuniq's performance at less price and much less wieght/stress on your mobo.And its easier to install,IF,you follow the instuctions to a T. ;)

Now,if you want even better cooling ability,without TRUE/Tuniq type wieght/install issues,get this.

well, i decided on the Zalman CNPS9500 and according to coretemp my q6600 is running at 38-33-36-42 :cool:

1) is coretemp accurate? (ip35-e)
2)are these decent temps? (its at stock right now)

are your temps on par with others? I'm looking for a heatsink for my q6600 that I'm building. I love the zalman, I'd love to OC too. I would ideally like it to be as quiet as possible along with providing good cooling although I'm sure those two don't always go together.

I got this one http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835103026 for my Q6600.

It's friggin' huge with 2x120's on it, but being that it has 2x120's on it, it's very quiet as I never turn the 120's up past 1/4 speed. There is 1c difference between my 120's on low speed vs high speed. Also has the benefit of cooling the mosfet heatsinks and ram at the same time.

just like any other huge heatsink though, to remove it, you have to remove the motherboard (unless you cut the back out of the motherboard tray where the cpu is located).

temps are 35c idle, 60-65c load and my Q6600 is oc'd to 3.3ghz on 1.34v

Newegg DID have it for $28.99 and it had a $28.99 rebate on it. So for the price of shipping I couldn't pass it up.

Back