Good gaming PC Specs?

Hi am wanting to replace my mid 2010's gaming desktop which has a AMD Phenom 6 core 1045 T & a 670 GPU. And am wanting to play newer games like Cyberpunk 2077 on the highest settings with smooth frames as well as wanting to play high end simulators like the new Microsoft Flight simulator 2020 and its competitor's like X-plane on the highest settings/smooth frames. And am wondering wondering what are some good specs for anywhere between 800 to 1000$'s. Also should I get a PC ready to go or build one?

you'll probably get more for the money building than buying.

in the $1000 range, a build with a Ryzen 3600, 16GB memory, a 1TB NVMe SSD, and a RTX 2060S or 2070S or Radeon 5700XT will play current and next years games maxed out at 1080/1440 and last you long time as a 1080P rig

You have no chance playing Cyberpunk on max settings with that budget unfortunately. It will use ray tracing.
Just the gfx card will cost more than your whole budget.
Unless you want to play at 1080p ??
But even then ...

you'll probably get more for the money building than buying.

in the $1000 range, a build with a Ryzen 3600, 16GB memory, a 1TB NVMe SSD, and a RTX 2060S or 2070S or Radeon 5700XT will play current and next years games maxed out at 1080/1440 and last you long time as a 1080P rig
What’s all involved with building a PC? And do I have to mess with the BIOS and all that while building?

You have no chance playing Cyberpunk on max settings with that budget unfortunately. It will use ray tracing.
Just the gfx card will cost more than your whole budget.
Unless you want to play at 1080p ??
But even then ...
With RT it is 1080p with an expensive card. Seen benches for Control?
There is max-settings and max-settings with performance crushing RT. Two separate things.

OP, do you have a monitor? What rez are you targeting in your very tight budget.

What’s all involved with building a PC? And do I have to mess with the BIOS and all that while building?

To answer your first question--

Basic steps:
Plan your build
Watch people find better deals than you and explain why the power supply you picked sucks (take notes, they are probably right)
Purchase your parts (preferably all around the same time)
Fret over the thousand different ways to apply thermal compound
Put pieces together - kinda like expensive legos.
Fret over other details like cable management and positive pressure
Start it up for the first time, hope it doesn't catch on fire
If it doesn't start up -> first tear it all apart and put it back together, if it still doesn't start after that, start posting questions.
If it does start up -> continue.
Install Windows (and wait for all the Linux folks to say "No, install XYZ Distro" ... "No not XYZ this week it's ABC" ... "No ABC doesn't have FOSS drivers, use LGBTQ"
Tweak and play to your hearts desire

Some of that is tongue in cheek, but I won't point out what's what.

To answer the second question --
Typically going into the BIOS isn't strictly necessary, but it's a good idea to at least check out defaults and make sure your hardware is all detected properly
It isn't something you should be too afraid of, particularly if your thinking about building your computer.

Easy Button: (good brand, good parts, good price, good warranty = easy button)
https://slickdeals.net/f/13359358-a...sd-rtx-2070-1261-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch

$1260 + $200 Dell Gift Card = $1060...

Specs:
  • Intel 8-Core i7-9700 Processor
  • 16GB DDR4 Memory
  • 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 Graphics
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi (1x1) / Bluetooth 4.2
  • Alienware 850W Power Supply
  • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
  • Ports:
    • Front
      • 1x USB 3.0 Type-C
      • 3x USB 3.0 (two are enabled for charging)
    • Rear
      • 1x USB 3.1 Type-C
      • 1x USB 3.1 Type-A
      • 8x USB 3.0 (two are enabled for charging)
      • 1x Display Port
      • 1x RJ-45 Killer Gigabit Ethernet

If you have to ask? For simplicity buy pre-built. It also doesn't need to be a BIG Co. check out your local PC stores. Often very competitive and far more adaptable then the BIG guys ;) . Plus you have support in person. That is what I recommend. Get some recommendations from friends/colleges on the best local shop.

OP seems quiet. You there bro?
Simple vid, although I would sub a Ryzen 1600/2600 to save. Put more $$ into GFX card.

If you are going to build don't forget about static discharge. You must touch something metal and grounded like the computer case to discharge any static before touching components. A friend killed his motherboard a long time ago lol

Don't forget you can sell your current PC to add to the budget. 6 core Phenoms still hold some value even it its just a 1045t
But at 1000$ your not going to be able to do what you want.

I think that you should consider the variant of buying some good gaminf laptop. It will be easier and in your budget.

I think that you should consider the variant of buying some good gaminf laptop. It will be easier and in your budget.
The same description parts run a lot slower and can cost more.
ie a 1070 GPU based laptop has much slower gfx performance than a 1070 gfx card based PC.
Same for processors.
And you dont get to upgrade the performance parts later.
Buy a laptop if you must have mobile gaming or other mobile use, or you have a severe lack of space, otherwise dont.

I'm surprised nobody has posted The Verge video of what NOT to do yet.....

The same description parts run a lot slower and can cost more.
ie a 1070 GPU based laptop has much slower gfx performance than a 1070 gfx card based PC.
Same for processors.
And you dont get to upgrade the performance parts later.
Buy a laptop if you must have mobile gaming or other mobile use, or you have a severe lack of space, otherwise dont.

The performance gap is not true anymore. It used to be true, but they've come far enough with power management in modern chips that laptop parts are pretty much as fast as the desktop ones. For example (numbers taken from wikipedia, ranges represent base to boost clocks):

Desktop 1070: 1920 cores, 5.7 - 6.4 tflops
Mobile 1070: 2048 cores, 5.9 - 6.7 tflops
Mobile 1070 max Q: 2048 cores, 4.5-5.6 tflops

In fact the mobile 1070 is slightly faster than the desktop 1070, probably to compensate for the fact that there is no mobile 1070ti.

However I do agree that a laptop is worse performance/dollar, limited upgradeability, and is only worth it if someone has a specific need.

The performance gap is not true anymore. It used to be true, but they've come far enough with power management in modern chips that laptop parts are pretty much as fast as the desktop ones. For example (numbers taken from wikipedia, ranges represent base to boost clocks):

Desktop 1070: 1920 cores, 5.7 - 6.4 tflops
Mobile 1070: 2048 cores, 5.9 - 6.7 tflops
Mobile 1070 max Q: 2048 cores, 4.5-5.6 tflops

In fact the mobile 1070 is slightly faster than the desktop 1070, probably to compensate for the fact that there is no mobile 1070ti.
Citation needed for real world performance.

Citation needed for real world performance.

Sure no prob.

Mobile 1070 review: https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/laptop/95650-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-mobile-asus-rog-g752vs/?page=6

Desktop 1070 reviews: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review,28.html and https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-4.html

Some highlights:

Firestrike Extreme: 7572 mobile, 8152 desktop

Firestrike Extreme: 4139 mobile, 4290 desktop

Rise of the Tomb Raider 1440p: 85.9 fps mobile, 75.7 fps desktop

Rise of the Tomb Raider 2160p: 43.4 fps mobile, 40.8 fps desktop

Hitman 1440p: 71.9 fps mobile, 73.3 or 65 fps desktop depending on which review you look at

Sure no prob.

Mobile 1070 review: https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/laptop/95650-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-mobile-asus-rog-g752vs/?page=6

Desktop 1070 reviews: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review,28.html and https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-4.html

Some highlights:

Firestrike Extreme: 7572 mobile, 8152 desktop

Firestrike Extreme: 4139 mobile, 4290 desktop

Rise of the Tomb Raider 1440p: 85.9 fps mobile, 75.7 fps desktop

Rise of the Tomb Raider 2160p: 43.4 fps mobile, 40.8 fps desktop

Hitman 1440p: 71.9 fps mobile, 73.3 or 65 fps desktop depending on which review you look at

You need to compare like for like.
For example
The mobile version of Tomb raider is using very high quality with FXAA, the desktop version says very high quality with no mention of AA type, suggesting they are using max AA.
The mobile version of Hitman is using SMAA, Max quality, the desktop version says "Ultra level of detail" suggesting max AA is used.
They are different websites using different settings and probably different underlying hardware like the CPU and memory speed.

If you want to pursue this, find benchmarks of a reputable site that compare like for like settings.

You need to compare like for like.
For example
The mobile version of Tomb raider is using very high quality with FXAA, the desktop version says very high quality with no mention of AA type, suggesting they are using max AA.
The mobile version of Hitman is using SMAA, Max quality, the desktop version says "Ultra level of detail" suggesting max AA is used.
They are different websites using different settings and probably different underlying hardware like the CPU and memory speed.

If you want to pursue this, find benchmarks of a reputable site that compare like for like settings.

Lol ok clearly this is a waste of time. Carry on gents.

Back