Good gaming headphones

Stigz

n00b
Can anyone recommend me good gaming headphones with a mic?
Price doesn't matter but they must be of good quality, sound and very comfy.

corsair 1500's

I love mine, they are comfy as hell and the sound they produce; amazing. Well worth the money. go read some reviews if you don't believe me :cool:

Beyerdynamic DT770 or AudioTechnica ATH-700 or Sennheiser 555

*edit* nevermind, you're looking for a headset with mic. Is there really any good ones? I heard that Sennheiser makes a pair, which is supposed to be good and strangely enough i heard that Razer Cacharias are supposed to be decent for their price.

Last edited:
corsair 1500's

I love mine, they are comfy as hell and the sound they produce; amazing. Well worth the money. go read some reviews if you don't believe me :cool:

This!
I have a pair and love them! Sound quality is fantastic and the 7.1 surround sound adds a new world of depth. :D

*edit* nevermind, you're looking for a headset with mic. Is there really any good ones? I heard that Sennheiser makes a pair, which is supposed to be good and strangely enough i heard that Razer Cacharias are supposed to be decent for their price.

Shouldnt stop a ATH-700 with an attached Zalman microphone to the cable. This setup works rather well as this is what im personally using.

As I have Corsair case and PSU and reading the reviews I think I'll go Corsair! :)

I have the DT770s for gaming, plus a Zalman mic for when I need to use voice. I detach the mic when I take the headphones to the office to listen to music, so I don't end up looking like a total dork with a blinged-out gaming headset with a mic attached to the side of my head.

I hate the Zalman mic that everyone recommends. The "clip" isn't really a clip in the spring-loaded sense, it's just two stiff plastic paddles that you're supposed to wedge your headphone cord (or whatever) into, but if your headphones have a really narrow cord you have to break out the scotch tape.

My HD650s sound absolutely awesome if price doesn't matter :p Grab a separate mic and enjoy.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro is definetly a good choice. Comfy, good sound with bass that reaches down and deep and soundstage is quite good for a closed headphone. Also they are virtually indestructible and have a good isolation so outside noises (like computer fans) wont bother you.

I hate the Zalman mic that everyone recommends. The "clip" isn't really a clip in the spring-loaded sense, it's just two stiff plastic paddles that you're supposed to wedge your headphone cord (or whatever) into, but if your headphones have a really narrow cord you have to break out the scotch tape.
I can certainly see that as being a possible issue. Luckily the DT770 and the Audio Technica headphones have fat enough cords that the mic clip fits perfectly on them.

I've been hearing good things about the Antlion Mod Mic. Hopefully I can order one soon enough.

Pfft, the ATH-AD700 sounds crap compared to the Sennheiser HD650 :p

Well the OP did say "Price doesn't matter but they must be of good quality, sound and very comfy.", HD650 hits the mark on all 4 of those points, extremely comfy, sound great, great build quality and you'll only buy them if price doesn't matter to you. ;)

If you have the money to burn, the HD650 is awesome. I have a set of AD700s as well, they're not nearly as comfortable (even though that's often one area where they're praised), and everything sounds so clinical through them, they lack the depth and range of the HD650s. Obviously they aren't comparable since they're 2 different price brackets, but the OP did say price didn't matter :p I'm sure the HD800s are great too but I have never heard them, they are a bit out of my price range, lol.

I purchased the Superlux HD 668B from Amazon in December of last year. They make more models and the SR850 is supposed to be the top of the line model. I have never been more impressed with a set of headphones. I am extremely hard on them; get the cord caught on things and the quick disconnect saves me. And they sound great to boot!

I am extremely impressed with the quick disconnect feature. With my old headphones if I plopped into a chair and the headphone wire is caught on something then it's game over. I would run the risk of breaking a wire inside the phones and that was it. With the Superlux quick disconnect it's like an XBOX wired controller. Get it hung and it just disconnects. And the headphone wire can be replaced for cheap if the dog chews it. Can't beat that!

As far as sound quality goes they are top notch headphones. They are copies of AKG headphones from what I am told. I think they sounded as good as my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 but these actually have bass response. Playing Star Wars the Old Republic and a Hutt speaks you can feel his voice. The highs are a little over the top, but a little EQ goes a long ways. These headphones sound much better after being broken in. Like night and day.

If you're on a budget or just hard on headphones like me you should consider giving these a try. They are worth your time to at least Google reviews on them. Sometimes you can find these for $36 online but I just ordered mine from an Amazon partner 8th Street Music for convenience. I got mine within 3 days using standard shipping since they are located in New Jersey.

:)

The only con for these are the ear pads. I am told that AKG ear pads are direct replacement for these. *cough cough* It's the dead of winter and these can make me sweat ha ha. I'm definitely going to grab some replacement ear pads or use one of the ghetto mods detailed on the net to cover these. They are comfortable for all of my family members that have tried them, just that I'm a person that sweats a ton normally. Just wanted to mention that.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I bought that after I got several recommendations. Don't know how anyone could recommend it though. The clip is horrible, the sound quality was the worst I've had yet, and the whole thing was just below the quality that I expected after so many good reviews and recommendations. I ended up throwing it away.

I've been using my G35 for a few months now and I've gotta say that I absolutely love em. Unfortunately, I also love my speakers so I bounce between em pretty often, but it's definitely the best "gaming" headset I've used. Seems to work pretty well for music as well though I'm no audiophile.

Between:

G35
Sennheiser PC 350
Corsair 1500

Which has the most accurate sound stage for gaming / comfort level? Mainly play BF3. Already have a Klipsch 2.1 setup for music / solo play. Open to other suggestions as well but I want a built in mic like the OP. Would prefer something in the $100 range that won't break after 6 months (I've been using a $30 pair of plantronics for years and they still work fine, they just sound really flat after using the Klipsch)

Shouldnt stop a ATH-700 with an attached Zalman microphone to the cable. This setup works rather well as this is what im personally using.

Same. Zalman Mics are discontinued so i found a place that had a decent stock and bought like 5 of them.

Between:

G35
Sennheiser PC 350
Corsair 1500

Which has the most accurate sound stage for gaming / comfort level? Mainly play BF3. Already have a Klipsch 2.1 setup for music / solo play. Open to other suggestions as well but I want a built in mic like the OP. Would prefer something in the $100 range that won't break after 6 months (I've been using a $30 pair of plantronics for years and they still work fine, they just sound really flat after using the Klipsch)

G35

I just picked up the Samson SR850. I've been impressed so far, plus they were less than $50. You get a lot better quality if your willing to use a clip on or desktop mic.

Pick up a USB headset if you are a noob.

Just about anything Beyerdynamic, AudioTechnica or Sennheiser will rock. Obviously the more money you dump the better. Use a clip on mic or external desktop mic. I use the Logitech desktop mic and it works great. Picks up very little background noise and I have it sitting 2 feet away.

Headsets with mics built in generally suck and limit your selection. The overpriced Beyerdynamic MMX 300 is the only exception. But you will get a better quality headphone if you put the same money towards a headset without attached mic.

Pick up a USB headset if you are a noob.

Just about anything Beyerdynamic, AudioTechnica or Sennheiser will rock. Obviously the more money you dump the better. Use a clip on mic or external desktop mic. I use the Logitech desktop mic and it works great. Picks up very little background noise and I have it sitting 2 feet away.

Headsets with mics built in generally suck and limit your selection. The overpriced Beyerdynamic MMX 300 is the only exception. But you will get a better quality headphone if you put the same money towards a headset without attached mic.

the PC350 and PC360 Senns are good. My mic stopped working on my set though and it was kind of a pain to have to replace the whole headset cause of the mic. Like i said above i love my mic and headset being separate parts if this ever happens not to mention you can get better quality headphones.

Between:

G35
Sennheiser PC 350
Corsair 1500

What's your sound source? The PC 350s are headset only and don't include a USB DAC like the other two do.

Look no further than the Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 250 ohm sets. I have both the 770 and the 880 and my friend has the 990 and here is a short summary on each:

DT770: BASS! Awesome for hip hop music, films or games like Battlefield which have tons of explosions when you want to feel immersed in a cinematic sort of way

DT880: Very tight bass but still deep. Semi-open headphones whereas the 770s are closed so the sound positioning is that much better. Really amazing at pinpointing things with Dolby Headphone.

DT990: Open headphones with similar bass to the 880s and slightly better sound positioning but the treble is just too harsh on these without really playing with the equalizer. When there are higher pitched sounds it literally was so sharp it hurt my ears and I had to turn the volume down a bit but perhaps I'm just a bit sensitive as my friends doesn't notice the same thing.

Anyway, go Beyerdynamic if you want the best of both worlds in terms of sound stage and sound quality for numerous scenarios, whether it be gaming, music, films, etc.

I've ordered the Creative Aurvana Live headphones (Based off the highly praised Denon AH-D1001) along with the Zalman clip mic. I'll see how it fares in games and music, especially since I think my $60 7 years old 5.1 Creative speakers sounds good. :D

I just picked up the Samson SR850. I've been impressed so far, plus they were less than $50. You get a lot better quality if your willing to use a clip on or desktop mic.

My Superlux 668B sounded so much better after 24 hours and 100 hours of break in. I'm using this FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier as a cheap solution until next week when I will decide if I want to finally purchase a DAC like the FiiO E7.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What's your sound source? The PC 350s are headset only and don't include a USB DAC like the other two do.

A creative x-fi titanium, so I don't think having a USB DAC is necessary. I notice that the impedance on the PC 350's is huge compared to the other headphones I've looked at (150ohm vs 30-50 ohm). Is there a benefit to this? I know you need a more 'powerful' source to drive them properly because of it (at least that's what I've read, not that familiar with audio).

I'm hesitant about the clip-on / desktop mics because I read they pick up background noise a lot easier and I don't talk very loudly so I'd have to turn the boost way up. My brother uses a desktop mic and all you hear when he uses it is the noise from his keyboard (we both use mechanicals) so I think that would be an issue as well.

Back