good free antivirus program?

Out of what I have read AVG, Avast, and ClamWin are free and supposedly good. I haven't used any of them yet, though. So out of those three, can anyone answer which one is the best and why??

I guess there's also Antivir

ima go with avast. simple to use, has got everything for me so far! nice n free too. ;)

I am a big fan of AVG myself have been using it for awhile and it works alot better then anything else I have tried.

hmm maybe I'll give it a try when my norton subscription runs out. my friend lives in belgum and this fixed her virus program she had :)

thanks everyone

Antivir as suggested, low memory use, good detection. Just make sure to manually update

Something about the words "good" and "free" does not fit. You get what you pay for in antivirus scanners. There are no good free ones. Period.

I suggest you reach into your pocket, and get one that actually works. NOD32 would be my choice. A free program that intercepts half of what NOD32 finds isn't very effective, in my opinion. I want my machine to be virus free all of the time, not just half of the time.

aciddrink said:
I've been using AVG Free Edition for about a year now, works perfect.

Maybe, but where did you go? How many times were you exposed? Do you actually know? How many times did AVG alert you? If I drink five gallons of water, will that protect me from getting aids from a crack ho?

I can take you to the darkside, and we can see exactly how good it is. The same applies for all the other free ones, too. :rolleyes:

mosin said:
Something about the words "good" and "free" does not fit. You get what you pay for in antivirus scanners. There are no good free ones. Period.

I suggest you reach into your pocket, and get one that actually works. NOD32 would be my choice. A free program that intercepts half of what NOD32 finds isn't very effective, in my opinion. I want my machine to be virus free all of the time, not just half of the time.

Maybe, but where did you go? How many times were you exposed? Do you actually know? How many times did AVG alert you? If I drink five gallons of water, will that protect me from getting aids from a crack ho?

I can take you to the darkside, and we can see exactly how good it is. The same applies for all the other free ones, too. :rolleyes:
My only prob with NOD32 is it causes inestability with Azureus...

mosin said:
It auto-updates the virus definition daily, has detected viruses numerous times. How often am I exposed? Not often, I'm a bit smarter than the average user. I used Norton for a few years, got tired of constantly re-buying it every year. On top of that, it had numerous compatability and performance problems with programs / games that I was into at the time. I decided I'd try something else that was recommended to me, and I ended up liking it. AVG. The Free Edition is a stripped down version of regular AVG, made free because you have to pay if you want some other features, which are not necessary. The Free Edition has email scanning, real-time protection, scheduled scans, and uses almost no resources.

Now I know NOD32 isn't Norton, but the point of this reply is so I can explain why I like my free virus protection as apposed to having to pay for the same services.

AVG is a REALLY nice piece of free software. However, If I were you I'd drop the 39 bucks, and get Nod. My [H] newsbox was made Friday night, created from scratch. By Sunday Nod had removed 4 viruses from incoming mail. It does more passes than any other program out there. You may not be in the same situation as I am, having MASSIVE amounts of mail on the weekend, but I think it really is worth the piece of mind.

aciddrink said:
It auto-updates the virus definition daily
NOD32 updates hourly.
aciddrink said:
How often am I exposed? Not often
How do you know, if AVG doesn't detect the exploit? Ever have to reformat?
aciddrink said:
I'm a bit smarter than the average user.
That's a given. After all, you made it here.
aciddrink said:
I used Norton for a few years, got tired of constantly re-buying it every year. On top of that, it had numerous compatability and performance problems with programs / games that I was into at the time.
That's another given. Norton's detects exploits, but it is a "Sin Against God" that may be worse than actually getting the exploit. Although the scanner detects well, it is still behind NOD32 on detection.
aciddrink said:
I decided I'd try something else that was recommended to me, and I ended up liking it. AVG. The Free Edition is a stripped down version of regular AVG, made free because you have to pay if you want some other features, which are not necessary. The Free Edition has email scanning, real-time protection, scheduled scans, and uses almost no resources.
"Like" is the operative word here. You may like redheads (I know I do), but they aren't all good in bed. I like them anyway however, and I am willing to try any who are free. ;)
aciddrink said:
Now I know NOD32 isn't Norton
No kidding!

Here's some interesting reading.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=938372

MaXimus666 said:
What instability? I use it with Azureus perfectly fine! :rolleyes:
You for real bro? :eek:

What version of Azureus? What version of NOD32?

I swear that nod32 always had me getting 99.99% cpu usage with azureus v2.2.0.2 i think.

I already got the last azureus version but never really cared to see if nod32 worked fine.

I think my subscription is still active too!

mosin said:
You may like redheads (I know I do)
Oh yeah, I like readheads.

Anyways, I'll give that NOD32 program a try sometime. Maybe next time I have to re-format. :p

Back