Good Fortran books?

Can anyone recommend a good book or two on programming with Fortran? Does anyone here even use Fortran?

Evan

Because fortran is deeply entrenched in physics it seems, and I need to be able to work on some old monte carlo codes.

I haven't touched Fortran since my days in Programming Language Concepts class last year. I found it a pretty ugly language, but since I don't do much scientific programming, I really don't have to use it, thank goodness.

Do you want to learn Fortran 90, Fortran 77...

Don't know if you can just go into a regular bookstore and look at Fortran books, which is the best way to do it, but here's some recommendations:

Fortran 90 Programming by T.M.R. Ellis
Introduction to Fortran 90 for Engineers and Scientists by Larry Nyhoff

Yeah it certainly looks ugly from what I've seen. I was wondering about whether any stores would even carry fortran books too, I'll take a look on amazon and see what I can see. As for 77 vs 90, I think most of this stuff I'm using is written in 77, but to my understanding 90 is backwards compatible, so I can use what I need from the old codes in with my new stuff. Does this seem right to you?

Everything in Fortran 77 is present in Fortran 90 and Fortran 95.

However, Fortran 90 introduced some new features to the language like recursion, the boolean type, and new functions and such.

If you will be programming mainly in Fortran 77, you'll want to look out for FOrtran 77 specific books. The Fortran 90 books will still cover most of Fortran 77, but you'll also be reading about F90 features in the process, though the books will usually tell you what won't work in F77 and what will.

Back