Good Fan for Xigmatek S-1283

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Q9450 and I just ordered a Xigmatek S-1283. Currently I am using a Lian Li A05b case which has an intake from the back. So I was looking to buy two 120mm case fans and one 120mm fan for the S-1283 itself.

Can any one recommend me two good fans for the case and one for the cooler itself ?

I just bought the Xig and personally like the included fan. If your 120mm case fans are intake, I recommend any of the Scythes....get a high CFM and then connect it to a fan controller so you can adjust based on your preferences for quietness vs. air movement.

The PWM fan included with the Xig is actually pretty good - it manages the pressure drop across those close-set fins much better than an average, without being too loud unless you max it out in BIOS. I still have to do some experimentation with my sig machine before I say that is the best solution, but one thing I did try is a fixed-speed Zalman ZM-F3 120mm fan, which dropped my E8400 core temps 1-2C at 12V (that's 12V on the fan, my CPU speed/volts are in my sig lol).

For case fans, I think there is nothing better than the ZM-F3. I've used a bunch of these and never had one fail to start on 7V, and most will start reliably at 5V. At 7V they are very quiet, and at 12V they will move a ton of air. Of course they are nothing flashy, just a plain black plastic fan. If you look closely at the various LED variants (e.g. ZM-F3BL is a clear fan with blue LEDs, but they also come in red, green, etc) you may find they are not the same internals as the plain black fans - at least in my experience the LED fans are not as consistent in quality or performance, but I've only had 4 of the LED fans so maybe I got a weak batch.

Anyway, I cannot say enough good things about the basic ZM-F3 - skip the $20 aerocool and yate loon fans, and get you some -F3s :)

Thanks for the recommendations, I was also considering to use Scythe S-Flex or Slipstreams in my case. Which one of the two is preferred?

Thanks for the recommendations, I was also considering to use Scythe S-Flex or Slipstreams in my case. Which one of the two is preferred?

If I remember my specs correctly, I think Slipstreams offer a higher CFM than the S-Flex version.

The slipstreams are good but not great. Dont trust the dba rating on them.

I have the thermaltake 130cm fan strapped onto mine.. I might put the stock one on it sometime, but meh.. it's on my list of things "to do?

I have the thermaltake 130cm fan strapped onto mine.. I might put the stock one on it sometime, but meh.. it's on my list of things "to do?

Which fans are you using for your case?

Umm.. I have 3 yate loons, and 1 of the thermaltake 13cm fans... I might want to edit that in my sig a bit.
But as far as I can tell, the fan looks quiet. I haven't used it at all.

Umm.. I have 3 yate loons, and 1 of the thermaltake 13cm fans... I might want to edit that in my sig a bit.
But as far as I can tell, the fan looks quiet. I haven't used it at all.

Cool... so can you please provide me a link to buy a pair of yate loons for my case? I want to keep things quiet.

linky

The first 7 fans are Yate Loons, and a feally good price for them. I have the high speed ones.

Most people get these.

I'm running the new S-Flex G on my Xig and have been very happy with it. Good RPM, good temps, quieter than my Antec Tri-cools on low (Antec 900 case).

I plopped a low-rpm Ultra Kaze on mine, pushes a decent amount of air being 38mm thick and it's basically silent. (And slipstreams for exhaust/intake.)

Back