Good enough for Source

elbarto

Limp Gawd
I want to know if a dual PIII 1.0ghz with 1 gb ram will work for a 8-12 slot Source Dedicated server?
any ideas?

it would prolly work great for a small lan server, thats about it thou.

I wouldn't take Source's recommended specs too seriously, considering that HL2 is playable (though barely...) on a 32MB TNT2 :D.

It's worth a try at least - assuming you already own the PC in question, you've got nothing to lose.

Well, thats why im wondering... I know you can play the game with less the requirements but I dont want to play it on this machine but I want to host a server on it.
Anyway I guess I will just have to try... I do allready own it, I just need to take the time to put it all togeather and load an os.
I guess thats another question... which performes better: Linux DS or Windows DS?

I got CS:S to work rock solid at 30 fps with my laptop that has 64 megs of INTEGRATED V MEMORY. There are PLENTY of tweaks for CS:S to make it look kinda like CS 1.6.

It will work, You will need to tweak your autoexec.cfg though.

ive not run linux myself yet. but a friend had a bunch of boxes running game servers , not source but. ,maybe once a month they needed a reboot. not like many windows servers which need one everyday. although he was hosting neverwinter nights which is not as intensive. but all the machines were much slower than the one you listed.

Back