Good distro for older computer

boredguyatcomp

Limp Gawd
Haven't been on here in a long time...

My question is, what is a good distro for an older computer? the computer im wanting to install on has a Pentium II at 336MHz, 64 MB of ram, and 12 gig hard drive.

Thanks!

i just installed suse 10.1 on a pentium II 350 with 64 mb/8 gb. didn't run too quickly, but was usable.

Your biggest problem is going to be that 64MB of RAM - if you're running an GUI applications, you're not going to be able to really multitask all that well.

im running vector linux that same setup. Its fast enough to get online and do your thing.

Was also going to suggest Zenwalk but their site says 128mb minimum RAM.

Zenwalk is forked off of slackware or arch..cant remember which, but I would say either arch/slack with fluxbox as a window manager would work very well on older machines, maybe even xfce or fvwm or something like that.

The install is a little more involved than most linux's out there now, but you get a nice minimal system that way.

If you need something a little more straight up puppy or DSL should do the trick just fine.

I use DSL in a VM at work all the time, until I got cygwin running an x server.

Zenwalk comes with Xfce as the default. The install is nice and simple. The ISO is 413 megs. its a nice compact install that is very fast. he now has 160 meg of ram in computer in update post.

I'm going to recommend Damn Small Linux and Xubuntu.

Back