Good Defraging program

Cryptic

Gawd
I already did a search on this, and I couldnt find anything, but I was wondering what a good defrag program was because I heard that the windows XP defragger wasnt that great....maybe just a link to it please? Thanks so much.

I've been happy with diskeeper for many years now. Microsoft thinks its good enough to use in a dumbed-down version as their standard defrag program. The full version is much better though.

Perfectdisk. I have used Diskkeeper since version 4 but it's not as efficient as perfect disk

why & another vote for

Ice Czar said:
O&O Defrag Pro
Invaluable tool for optimizing, wouldnt want to be without it
I have it intgrated into the MMC and from the commandline as well
running version 4

saturnine2 said:
It gives you more options, lets you defrag based on date, filename, etc.

t. shuffle said:
I have never understood how either of those options would be valuable.

Complete Name > Using this convention it is possible for you to create directories that will comntain Program Groups closer to the OD (Outer Diameter) of the HDD platter where both the sustained transfer rate and the latency are better, alternately, aps or data that doesnt require a high sustained transfer or that are infrequently accessed can be placed in a directory closer to the ID of the platter (or partition) basically it extends the partition strategy into a single partition, my Adobe and AutoCAD directories being in a much better position than Video Directory (media doesnt require much if its read only)

Complete Date or Access > are primarilly for Database server use, though if you give some thought to it....
say you mount an NTFS Volume as a folder (we'll make it a logical partition\drive in the backend of the HDD in an extended partition) this partition simply holds email files or docs, none of them very big, so even with the lower density in the ID of the disk, the files are also smaller and the latency thus offset, organizing these by date is likely adventageous since your more likely to need to access those than older "storage", thus those files will be closer to the front of the partition, so that when accessed the armeture and head will have less distance to traverse and their position farther out from the ID will have better density and thus lower latency

(caveat, by placing those small and frequently access files as a mounted drive located at the back of the HDD, the arm would need to traverse far outside its "normal" OS partition with considerable ncreased latency, your best access is within any given partition, one of the reasons indexing can have a negative impact on HDD performance, so downloading and writing email as you recieve it by leaving your client open as opposed to checking your email a few times a day can act very similar to indexing, would have little impact for gebneral use, but if your Photoshopin or working on some other disk intensive access, it can be a performance loss)

to understand disk access optimizing its important to understand disks first
Id highly recommend the As the Hard Disc Spins series @ Lost Circuits and Partitioning Strategies @ Radified

personally I recommend you trial the big three and see what features you apprciate most
Diskeeper, O&O and PerfectDisk

live with em awhile then decide ;)

Mmm....more stuff to check out. My wife misses me enough already. ;)

Ice Czar said:
why & another vote for

personally I recommend you trial the big three and see what features you apprciate most
Diskeeper, O&O and PerfectDisk

live with em awhile then decide ;)
QFT

I like your new nick Ice :p:D

Back