good cooling for a gtx 275?

what's wrong with the stock?

If anything, you could replace the thermal paste on it.

nothing is wrong, i just want to know if their is anything better than stock. also wil MX-2 be better than the current paste?

nothing is wrong, i just want to know if their is anything better than stock. also wil MX-2 be better than the current paste?

Yes it is, but do not expect 10-15 C drops. People that report drops in temperatures like that probably have a card that was incorrectly seated from the factory.

The reference cooler on the GT200 series is pretty good, with the exception of maybe the GTX 295

I vote for an AC accelero s1 with fans attached to the bottom or a Xigmatek Battle Axe. I have a battle axe on my modded 4830 and it keeps the card at 28 c idle and 45 c load.

Thanks.. are they bigger than the current cooling ? will it take up more than the current HSF?

An accelero by itself will take up two slots including the video card. It will take 3 if you put fans on the bottom. The xigmatek battle axe will take up 3.

My MSI Twin Frozr GTX 275 just came in today
http://us.msi.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=N275GTX_Twin_Frozr_OC&class=vga

It is dead silent in Windows, and quiet most of the times in games (fans spin up on elevators in Mass Effect, of all places). The fans do get crazy loud over 60%, and ridiculously loud at 85%+. Luckily, that has only happened when I manually put them that high. It comes pre-overclocked with the following default clocks:
Core 666 (5% oc from reference card 633)
Shaders 1476 (5% oc from reference card 1404)
Memory 1161 (2.5% oc from reference card 1134)

Highest stable (with about 25 mhz of headroom) I've been able to get is
Core 750 (18.5% higher then a stock GTX 275)
Shaders 1595 (14% higher then a stock GTX 275)
Memory 1220 (8% higher then a stock GTX 275 -- the poor overclock of the memory disappointed me a bit). Ran through 3d Mark a couple times with the overclocked speeds and the temps never went above 71C and the fans never became noisy. Pretty impressed with how quiet it is and the decent overclocks of the core and shaders. It was only $5 more than a reference card at ZipZoomFly and I figured that was worth it for the low noise level.

I think I'll stick with the stock as most of these are atleast 3 slots, and I don't have that much room to work with, but thanks alot for all the help, I'll apply some MX-2 to it though.

Back