Good Cooler for Ryzen 2600?

Gnatman11

n00b
Hello all,

Me and my girlfriend are upgrading her prebuilt PC as her first PC build. Transferring a Ryzen 2600 onto an ASUS ROG Strix B450-f, adding G Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200, keeping her 1660 TI and stock power supply. All in a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh. I think it'll turn out pretty cool as is, but she's already asking how she can upgrade the build even further after we do this new build. Already steering her towards an upgraded power supply, but I want to get her something a little bit more exciting alongside that. What is your personal recommendation for a solid air cooler upgrade over the stock cooler? Not really willing to consider an AIO cooler since I eventually want to build a custom loop with her. I am currently leaning towards a Noctua but is there a better deal right now?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Hyper 212 EVO. If you want RGB, the OEM Wraith Prism is a nice piece

You shouldn't need much to max out that CPU. The Hyper 212 would be fine. A Noctua cooler is probably overkill for a 65W CPU, especially if you plan on making a custom loop sometime in the near future.

You shouldn't need much to max out that CPU. The Hyper 212 would be fine. A Noctua cooler is probably overkill for a 65W CPU, especially if you plan on making a custom loop sometime in the near future.
Makes sense, I actually don't have much experience with air cooling so the insight is appreciated. The only air cooler I've ever owned was a Noctua, which is why I was leaning towards them.

Hyper 212 EVO is my suggestion as well. I have the Hyper 212 LED on my 2600x and also on my son's 2600x. It beats the hell out of the stock 2600x cooler by a long shot and you're not likely to get much in the way of more performance out of the CPU with anything better.

Hello all,

Me and my girlfriend are upgrading her prebuilt PC as her first PC build. Transferring a Ryzen 2600 onto an ASUS ROG Strix B450-f, adding G Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200, keeping her 1660 TI and stock power supply. All in a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh. I think it'll turn out pretty cool as is, but she's already asking how she can upgrade the build even further after we do this new build. Already steering her towards an upgraded power supply, but I want to get her something a little bit more exciting alongside that. What is your personal recommendation for a solid air cooler upgrade over the stock cooler? Not really willing to consider an AIO cooler since I eventually want to build a custom loop with her. I am currently leaning towards a Noctua but is there a better deal right now?

Any suggestion is appreciated.
At one time Hyper 212 was very good low cost cooling option, but now there are many others as good or better for similar or less money. Could you post a couple links to what sites you can buy from? That way we can suggest coolers we know you can get.

Hyper 212 is kind of the gold standard cheap cooler. Everyone knows about it and it's been released for what must be a decade.. One thing to note is some of the others still do not include an AM4 bracket... TYC was a fan of the cheap Snowman coolers and I think they give the hyper 212 a run for it's money but these day's the Snowman has no USA sellers outside of a couple selling them for Hyper 212 prices

Hyper 212 is kind of the gold standard cheap cooler. Everyone knows about it and it's been released for what must be a decade.. One thing to note is some of the others still do not include an AM4 bracket... TYC was a fan of the cheap Snowman coolers and I think they give the hyper 212 a run for it's money but these day's the Snowman has no USA sellers outside of a couple selling them for Hyper 212 prices
This is one of the reasons I went with the Hyper 212 LED. I was guaranteed to get one with the AM4 mounts. The EVO is supposed to have AM4 mounts but people are still getting them occasionally without. I didn't want to risk it so I didn't bother. I also didn't want to get the Black Edition or newer versions because they changed to a metal clip retention mechanism for the fans and I hate those things. The plastic frames screwed into the fans for fan retention is a much better option in my opinion.

Also, when I got mine the Hyper 212 LED was cheaper than all the other options which made the choice much easier. I think I got it from Amazon for $27. Back during Black Friday deals on Amazon they had it for $23 or $24 and that's when I got my son's.

At that price it a good deal on a decent cooler. Right now on Amazon Hyper 212 is $44.00-56.47 so way over priced for what they are.

There are many others that will cool better for less money.
Thermalright TRUE Spirit Direct is $42.99 or TA 140 is $44.99 and both have 5x 6mm heatpipes with 140mm fan giving much better cooling.

ID-Cooling SE-224-XT is $34.99 having 4x 6mm heatpipes and 120mm fan
ID-Cooling SE-914-XT is $34.99 having 4x 6mm heatpipes and 92mm fan
Also several other similar design unknown name brands like ALSEYE, ARESGAME, GOLDEN FIELD, ABKONCORE, etc. at similar prices.

I'd buy the Noctua cooler. IF you ever decide to go to a high-end CPU you'll be glad you already have a HSF you can use with it. IF the water cooling project is just around the corner the 212 will suffice.

why not use the cooler that came with the cpu. my corsair aio crapped out and i'm using the stock cooler the warmest the cooler has gotten is about 71C @4.0ghz. All i do is game and that is about it.

Back