Good compact laptop with numeric pad for $2-3k?

alkemyst

Limp Gawd
Not sure if I could get by without the number pad..looking for a mobile powerhouse, but still want it managable (maybe 5lbs).

Good screen is important. I don't game, but I'd like to be able to.

Mostly network engineering apps including office and adobe photoshop. I don't really game, but would like to fire up something like COD, Killing Floor, Metro...

On the fence on the P53 but a good build looks like $3k.

That said, maybe the Carbon X1 is good enough and adapt to no number pad.

If you don't game, you can get the lower end P53 units with the 9750H and the T2000 for 1200-1300 when it goes on sale. The T2000 can do games at a lower resolution/lower graphical settings.

You can customize it to be dual channel out of the box (2x8GB) and plug in your own SSDs later.

Pulled the trigger on a P52 local, 4K, 32GB, 8850H, P3200...I think that will work :) Under $2k

Dock is great along with other peripherals if you are a desk warrior. If you are mobile having a numeric keypad hanging off the machine can be a PITA esp if you want to use a mouse. Add in your phone charging and/or some earbuds and many laptops run out of USB ports. I am happy with my P52 for most duties and picked up a 10" ASUS flip and a Pixelbook i7/512GB SSD/16GB ram for more portable work.

In fact the 10" is always with me. The pixelbook I like for when I don't need to work numbers so much. The keyboard on the P52 is the best out of them all but the others are still very good. The 10" has a very impressive keyboard for such a small machine.

In the end its really user preference.

Back