Good compact 2.0 setup (PC, music/some movies, occasional gaming)

Another possibility would be to put the speakers on either far side of the monitors and toe them in steeply. With enough toe-in, it could sound surprisingly good. But you are not going to get good sound out of tiny speakers placed under your monitors. They will be so lacking in bass that they will not be able reproduce male vocals with any degree of fidelity, let alone things like kick drums, bass guitar, cello... it would be a very long list of things that would be faint, distorted, or missing entirely. Then the reflections from the desk willl ruin the midrange, and the off-axis position of the tweeters will mute the treble. I don't think you'd be happy at all.

You don't have to spend a lot - $200-300 for some quality bookshelf speakers with 5.25" or 6.5" woofers would sound amazing in a near-field arrangement.
With all three monitors, and the second screen for the right system, there just isn’t room for something that big as far as I can tell. The wall just isn’t that big :(.

Who the what now? I vaguely get comb filtering - but they're close enough together that shouldn't be a huge issue, no? Is a particle board ikea desk reflective enough to matter?

I've been told "it's a waste" when it comes to car audio too - but my ears disagreed (especially given how much time I spend in a car each year), so I'm all about paying for demonstrable quality (if it's real - I can't justify the cost of the generlac speakers Wiz suggests, or a $5000 receiver/amp combo for a workstation...).

Hey. In my defense. I only recommended a pair of $270 speaker which will fit your requirement that I felt is worth the cost. I only brought up the rest when what his name said that you need $2500-$25000 speaker to be good 😜

Hey. In my defense. I only recommended a pair of $270 speaker which will fit your requirement that I felt is worth the cost. I only brought up the rest when what his name said that you need $2500-$25000 speaker to be good 😜
My HT setup cost 35k. I’m all about quality (made the mistake of buying Arcam and Rel kit- should never trust the British with electronics of any kind), but this is a workstation. Yours is a good suggestion.
Edit: side note. Feed the audioengine from usb and use their DAC, or feed it analog from my DAC? Especially if I’m dealing with high end media that may have compressed streams like DTS-HD or the like...?

I would probably put wall mounts for the speakers in that sort of a setup or even consider an in-wall solution.

That’s somewhat overkill for a workstation setup that may or may not move around at some point in the future

That’s somewhat overkill for a workstation setup that may or may not move around at some point in the future

The Logitech Z200s I use on all my spare machines sound just fine for casual listening and they cost $20. Maybe that's all you need if you have real audio equipment elsewhere and good headphones.

My HT setup cost 35k. I’m all about quality (made the mistake of buying Arcam and Rel kit- should never trust the British with electronics of any kind), but this is a workstation. Yours is a good suggestion.
Edit: side note. Feed the audioengine from usb and use their DAC, or feed it analog from my DAC? Especially if I’m dealing with high end media that may have compressed streams like DTS-HD or the like...?

The 2+ built-in DAC can only do 16/48 which is fine for MP3, AAC and 16bit FLAC. Once you move to blu-ray soundtrack, DSD, or 24bit music I would use your DAC and feed it analog from your DAC and do a quick A/B test (I assume you're talking about the mobo DAC). If you have a standalone 24 bit DAC, I would definitely use that.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the Vanatoo T0?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N...&pd_rd_r=3069a11f-bf79-4e0c-8db3-4964e87e916d

solves the aiming issue and I think they’ll fit under the bezel. I spend a lot of time on this system, decided to up the budget slightly for quality
It’s been a while since I‘ve looked at desktop speakers for my own use but I was very intrigued by this speaker and considered buying it. I really enjoyed the writeup on it here:

http://noaudiophile.com/Vanatoo_Transparent_Zero/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You only stated that your 270 dollar speakers were one of the best powered speakers, which I corrected you on. How many times does this need to be repeated?

You only stated that your 270 dollar speakers were one of the best powered speakers, which I corrected you on. How many times does this need to be repeated?

Did you even look at what the OP asked for? My answer was within context of the OPs requirement. At least I'm not like you and keep jumping into threads with a defined budget and space requirement and telling the OP that they're not going to get decent sound with no regards to their budget and limitation. Not everyone can buy anything anytime they want like I can!

Last edited:
Did you even look at what the OP asked for? My answer was within context of the OPs requirement. At least I'm not like you and keep jumping into threads with a defined budget and space requirement and telling the OP that they're not going to get decent sound with no regards to their budget and limitation. Not everyone can buy anything anytime they want like I can!
Read my reply again. How many times does it need to be repeated? I never said the OP should buy a 5000 dollar pair of professional near field monitors. I said that the speaker you claimed to be "one of the best" powered speakers was nowhere NEAR one of the best. If you would have said "one of the best for the price and size" I would give no comment.

Read my reply again. How many times does it need to be repeated? I never said the OP should buy a 5000 dollar pair of professional near field monitors. I said that the speaker you claimed to be "one of the best" powered speakers was nowhere NEAR one of the best. If you would have said "one of the best for the price and size" I would give no comment

I was making a direct answer to his request for a pair of power speaker under 6" tall to which the AudioEngine was one of the best. I'm not making a general statement to the public so I don't really have to qualify my statement. And it seems that the OP understood perfectly fine. It was you that took my statement out of context.

Last edited:
I was making a direct answer to his request for a pair of power speaker under 6" tall to which the AudioEngine was one of the best. I'm not making a general statement to the public so I don't really have to qualify my statement. And it seems that the OP understood perfectly fine. It was you that took my statement out of context.
No, you wrote like the Audioengine was one of the best in kind, which it is not. You still don't get it. I realize that you're probably not familiar with active speakers at all and that's why you wrote what you did.

No, you wrote like the Audioengine was one of the best in kind, which it is not. You still don't get it. I realize that you're probably not familiar with active speakers at all and that's why you wrote what you did.
I don't use them much but as a person with a very large budget for toys. I know what some of the best are. whatever you're now on ignore

Last edited:
Cool. Congrats and how soon before we get a review ;-P
Show up monday, should have them wired in that day or tuesday. Going to try both the built-in amp and the connect, but the reviews I'm reading say the built-in amp is excellent and will probably be my go-to.
edit: also got isolation pads. Will set to the two sides of the monitor, move the BDROM drive down to get it out of the way most likely.

Show up monday, should have them wired in that day or tuesday. Going to try both the built-in amp and the connect, but the reviews I'm reading say the built-in amp is excellent and will probably be my go-to.
edit: also got isolation pads. Will set to the two sides of the monitor, move the BDROM drive down to get it out of the way most likely.

Cool, looking forward to your new setup 😁

I received the Swans D100 today and compared them to the JBL One Series 104. The JBL One Series 104 are very clear and very nice to watch movies with without disturbing the neighbors. The Swans D100 have maybe 3 or 4 times the bass than the 104 however, it's sounds muddy.* (EDIT: My first impression was incorrect after listening to them longer. They're way cooler than I thought.) Even though the stereo separation is excellent in Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel. If I want to listen to Aenema by Tool then I like the bass of the Swans. But in the future I might try to find another brand to replace the Swans. EDIT: I'll keep them for music. The JBL 104 I want to keep for watching movies, shows etc.

Last edited:
Probably returning it. Too big. Doesn't fit with the monitors. About to finish wiring them to at least see, but as it is they're ~behind~ the screens to make it all fit - or about a foot from my body, which feels way way too close.

I'll switch back to the monoprice most likely, or I'll pick up the Klipsch 2.1 and lay them on their side like I did for my gaming setup.

edit: or I may lay the T0s on their side. They'd fit then. Of course, half of you are going to go nuts if I do that too. These things are just WAY too big.

That’s about the best I can setup with these. Haven’t wired them yet. Still debating if I should.

Attachments

• 800FD30E-0A53-4514-A787-0407FF83408C.jpeg
    800FD30E-0A53-4514-A787-0407FF83408C.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok. Set them up on the isolation pads, just to see how they sound.

Initial Thoughts:

1. They don't sound amazing or jaw dropping so far. Like mediocre computer speakers - tinny, bit too ringy.
2. DAC is embarrassing in how it is configured. 16bit 48000hz only on USB, which is a bit of a joke. Looks like it ONLY expects SPDIF or BT for high-bandwidth audio, which is moronic- but hey, I guess these really aren't computer speakers. I have a spare optical cable - but running that given my setup is going to be a royal PITA.
1622504840746.png

Had I known that, I'd have gone with something else...

Running analog and optical to see how that sounds right now.

Well that made a difference. There's the bass. Jesus fuck these set up a resonance in my desk. Going to have to work on that a little bit...

Well, I have no problem laying a speaker on it's side long as it's not covering up a port or something. These are PC speakers and I'm not going to listen to 1812 over them. Did you try analog from PC to speaker at all and if so, how'd it compare to running thru optical and letting the onboard DAC do the job and are they better than the Monoprice?

Ok. Classical sounds amazing. DAC is great, just ... weirdly optioned I guess? Meh.

EDM / Epic sounds good. It handles things like Full Tilt's Aurora perfectly (spotify highest quality).

Rock... yeah. Not as much. Mids are muddled it seems, compared to what I'd expect - voices on things like Mono Inc's Louder than Hell just blend in a lot

Volume control is finicky and has a DELAY, which is... moderately maddening till you're used to it. Remote is good, manual control - don't touch that knob. Sounds better at higher volumes than lower - these don't have a lot of subtlety, they lose definition at lower volumes. Definitely a "switch to headphones if you need quieter environs" setup.

Extremely directional for quality. You need to be BETWEEN them for sure.

Firing up some classic rock here next.

Well, kinda a rock and a hard place since bass and mid is coming from the same driver at that price level, you pretty much have to choose one over the other. I listen to a lot of vocals so I usually choose mid clarity/ vocal performance over bass if I'm stuck with a 2.0 setup.

Classic Rock is great. Modern pop (Adele, etc) are good too. Just not some rock. Some fiddling to follow; I can deal with rock being light- I don’t listen to that much on this system. Not conducive to work 🤣

gaming tests tomorrow. And movies.

Classic Rock is great. Modern pop (Adele, etc) are good too. Just not some rock. Some fiddling to follow; I can deal with rock being light- I don’t listen to that much on this system. Not conducive to work 🤣

So what's the final verdict? Keep or return?

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial observations and experience with the Vanatoos. I haven't seen much from actual owners of the speakers. I've had them on my short list of speakers to consider since reading the same reviews that you did. Please let us know what you finally decided when you have the opportunity.

BTW, it's possible that you need Progresso soup cans (see photos in review for optimal setup) to realize their full potential. I'm not sure what kind, but growing up I was rather partial to Minestrone -- maybe give those a whirl.

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial observations and experience with the Vanatoos. I haven't seen much from actual owners of the speakers. I've had them on my short list of speakers to consider since reading the same reviews that you did. Please let us know what you finally decided when you have the opportunity.

BTW, it's possible that you need Progresso soup cans (see photos in review for optimal setup) to realize their full potential. I'm not sure what kind, but growing up I was rather partial to Minestrone -- maybe give those a whirl.
They’re absolutely amazing, once broken in a bit and fed through optical at high res. They do like to be a little loud, and source detection can be a touch flaky sometimes (keep the remote handy from sleep), but they sound very very good. Definitely close in listening though- they’ll fill a room, but sound best if they’re aimed right at you.
As for sound quality, some rock mids are still a touch muddled. Just a little, compared to a high end dac and pair of cans. The rest just sings. Good for gaming too- or movies- but they really shine with high res music

Back