Good colleges for Graphic Design /

Only high end graphic design has a future and im quite sure you don't fit into this category, so stop now.

True that Rukus stuff that comes out of that site esp. in the 3d animation department is jaw dropping.
Of course we cant forget RIT, Rochester Institute of Technology
http://www.rit.edu/~651www/
But tell us where you live and we can give you some good schools around your area :)

Defiance1 you dont know anything hence the title n00bie.

im from CA but i dont want to goto school in CA.

I know a damn fine graphic gawd that attends RISD (Rhode Island School of Design).

They seem pretty jacked! ;)

im looking at:

rochester, sheridan, and savannah all within the next week and half.

kill me now. i hate searching for colleges

I wouldn't waste my time with that... a good graphics job is one of those things you stumble upon..

EGGO said:
I'm over at the Philadelphia Institute of Art.

Me too.... But not for graphic design.... :eek:
or maybe i cant read, im at he Art Institute of Philadelphia... i read that backwards I suppose.

pistola said:
Me too.... But not for graphic design.... :eek:
or maybe i cant read, im at he Art Institute of Philadelphia... i read that backwards I suppose.

I think you're thinking about the Art Museum of Philadelphia...or...crap now I'm confused.

"Only high end graphic design has a future and im quite sure you don't fit into this category, so stop now."

if people listened to idiots like you no one would get anywhere in life.

Hmmm, the first part of that sentence has a great deal of truth to it. Art is a luxury, and in
times of cash droughts the first way to tighten the belt is to cut on advertising and brand
pimping. Also note that having ph33r4bl3 skillz in Photoshop is to Graphic Design what
Ballboy is to Tennis.

The American economy makes my country look like a dumpster (even though most of the
great award winning agencies come from South Africa, probably as a direct result of the
fact that if you can sell a Jaguar to a penniless peasant you've got what it takes), yet the
reservoir of USD is not infinite. I know a DAMN fine colourist who used to post on this
board sometime ago, he does jobs for DC etc. This man is not going hungry, but neither
will he ever earn what a top account executive at Ogilvy & Mather, J Walther Thompson or
BBDO earns.

The second part of that sentence I cannot comment on, since I have not seen your work,
but I can tell you this:

"Graphic Design is the visual arts equivalent of Journalism to the literary arts. The pace is
insane and the people worse, clients are clueless yet reserve the right to behave like
gods. If you thought image is everything in everyday life, you're in for a rude awakening,
design harlots are generally mindless slaves to hip, trendy and in, and strangely fall for
the pointless branding their peers conceive. A classic example is that most techno-
unsavvy 'artsies' truly believe Macs have special graphics mojo chips that make them
innately better at all things visual."

Now consider whether you really want to toil under the harsh sun of offset printing, and
in the fell rain torrents of typograpics, in the icy blizzards of halftone screens, moire
patterns, additive and subtractive colour theory whether you want to worship at the altar of
composition and Gestalt theory. Remember ... there is a VAST difference between a
career and a passion. If you really want to kill your holy realtionship with a secret passion
make it your career, it becomes as exciting, as stimulating and as enjoyable as taking out
the trash, or doing the laundry or washing the dishes. ;)

b1m2x3 said:
im looking at:

rochester, sheridan, and savannah all within the next week and half.

kill me now. i hate searching for colleges
While I have to plug RIT since I go there, I have heard some terrible things aboud Savannah (I assume you mean SCAD). My first roomie was considering transferring there but after finding out a few things he wasn't so enthused.

He spoke with ex students and old professors and some others and found out the professors that actually do their job get kicked out early, they don't seek to make friends with the community and generally the graphic design industry does not like SCAD. I don't know how accurate all this is, and I honestly don't remember a lot since this was a couple years ago but I'd just suggest being cautious and making sure you're well informed before you go tromping off to SCAD.

honestly, scad is my choice now based on the visit alone. It was amazing compared to Rochester and sheridan. Much more space, in a beautiful old city. There is no way i would be able to work in a cookie cutter brick block factory called college (ahem rochester)

needless to say, you get what you put into it. and i plan on putting alot in.

b1m2x3 said:
honestly, scad is my choice now based on the visit alone. It was amazing compared to Rochester and sheridan. Much more space, in a beautiful old city. There is no way i would be able to work in a cookie cutter brick block factory called college (ahem rochester)

needless to say, you get what you put into it. and i plan on putting alot in.
Yeah if you don't like the look of Rochester there's little you can do about it, although I've gotten used to it. :eek:

Still, make sure you check in to what I said. I'm not a graphic designer but I doubt the situation could have changed drastically in the past 2 years. If SCAD is the nicest of the three you've seen, broaden your search and include some others like RISD. This is the next 4 years of your life (roughly) so it's important to make sure you know everything about where you plan to be going. How they treat their students, how they treat their profs, and how the industry views the school are all important factors to consider and are what I would be concerned about with SCAD after learning about it from my friend who considered that school.

If you dont mind moving north of the border Ontario institute of art and design is one of the more renowed schools in canada

Back