good cheap USB DAC that outputs to PC Speakers and Headphone?

mushrooms

Gawd
Is there such a thing as a good cheap USB DAC that can output to both pc speakers and headphones?

I'm new to all this. I just got some Audio Technica headphones and i've been reading and i've been told that i should get a DAC to get the fullest out of my headphones. I realize a USB DAC is the way to go, but i don't know where to begin. Is there a good DAC for about $150 that outputs to PC Speakers, and when i plug in my headphones, it automatically silences the speakers? The speakers i'm using will be the Swan M10's, and it does not have a headphone jack.

Thanks

So these will out to to a standard amplified PC speaker set up? All i would really need is an RCA to 3.5mm female converter?

I read the above review of the UDAC2 and still got one because of other reviews I found. The unit I got did not have any of the stereo separation problems the above review hinted at. I don't blast my speakers so I can't say whether or not at high levels things distort. As far as sound I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I have a set of Audio Engine A2s and everything I play sounds better with the UDAC2 then it did with onboard sound. The headphones I have are JVC HARX700s and they sound a lot better connected to the UDAC2 as well. I'm no audiophile, but to my ears the purchase of a UDAC2 has been well worth the price.

I'm pretty fond of my Hifiman EF2-nice, clean line level input from the BurrBrown PCM2702 USB DAC, and a sweet tube amplifier that drives my D2000s to perfection. Highly recommended, it seems to drive almost any headphone extremely well.

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=74

As for using the DAC as a source for the Swans, it's probably not worth the effort-just run them directly out of the sound card IMO. You won't be able to pick apart the differences that a DAC makes-it's mainly subtle details. Do your analytical listening through your headphones and don't stress about having a source for the Swans...they will still sound fantastic through a shitty soundcard.

I have the udac first gen and it works great for this purpose. I use swans m10 speakers with JVC rx700 headphones.

Its a little wonky sometimes when inserting headphones when the speakers are on, but all i'd have to do is unplug the usb cable from the udac and replug it in and it works fine. This only happens sometimes. Idk if this is fixed in the udac2 though.

SQ wise, it sounds better than onboard.

I've had the uDAC and the Creative X-fi HD USB with a pair of JVC RX900's. Both of the dacs sounded very good. I sold the uDAC because the X-fi HD sounded a bit more clear to me, and I wanted something that had a mic input. With that being said, even though the X-fi sounds great I will probably sell it also. Creative apparently dropped the ball on the X-Fi HD USB as it does not support 44.1 khz output. This means you can't achieve bit perfect playback using Wasapi.

I've used both the uDAC-1 and the EF2 from HiFiman and both are decent USB DACs for the price. The volume on the uDAC-1 was a bit high as an amp for low impedance headphones, but fine if you're using it as a DAC only.

I'm pretty fond of my Hifiman EF2-nice, clean line level input from the BurrBrown PCM2702 USB DAC, and a sweet tube amplifier that drives my D2000s to perfection. Highly recommended, it seems to drive almost any headphone extremely well.

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=74

As for using the DAC as a source for the Swans, it's probably not worth the effort-just run them directly out of the sound card IMO. You won't be able to pick apart the differences that a DAC makes-it's mainly subtle details. Do your analytical listening through your headphones and don't stress about having a source for the Swans...they will still sound fantastic through a shitty soundcard.

oLs75.jpg

What is that cable for the D2000's and where can I obtain such a thing?

Forum member bbq made the cable for me, it's simply the inner copper strands of mogami braided together, terminated in a furutech fp-704. We modelled it after this jena labs cable:

wp87e98d37_0f.jpg

Last edited:
I see. Did he re-wire it for you? And does he still offer this service? I need to get to sleep but I will look forward to hearing your reply.

I see. Did he re-wire it for you? And does he still offer this service? I need to get to sleep but I will look forward to hearing your reply.

Yes, he did the re-cable, and I believe he does offer his services when he's not busy. I'll link him to your post so he can respond himself.

Back