good, cheap, low? 100 watt cooler

ctfz1

n00b
Years ago I bought some motherboards and APUs from a reviewer. never built them and I have parts.
Except:
I do not have the stock cooler for FM1 3870K.
I have some AM2 and AM3 coolers that do not seem to want to fit. Is this correct?
I have some Hyper 212 plus but these are too tall for cases I want to use.
My old time go to was the Loki by Xignatek, long gone from cooler business.
Looking at Uphere on amazon around $18
What is current reasonable buy for a cooler. The 80 cm fan towers seem doubtful, I hesitate over no name 92cm fan coolers.
I do have an old Gemini.
Don't know if anyone can help? thanks if you can

the gemini would be a good start. if you need low profile cpu coolers there are quite a few out there but weve no idea what your size restrictions may be?

Cases are Rosewill from 6-10 years ago. Redbone/Blackbone. I have a Gigabyte I might trouble shoot(bad switch or wire). A couple Antec SLK1650. I liked the Redbone a lot.
I kind if like the idea of using the Antec SLK1650 just because.
lol I have an HP 2004 BUT that takes uATX motherboards. 2010 Silverstone?
I bought a lot of things on sale from 09-14? Then tried to learn from old laptops and became discourage.

I have the old Gemini to use (I am horrible at hoarding old components though). Found Cooler Master T4 tucked away.

Iexpect most builds these days are smaller or larger cases. I just see too many people calling the "stock" AMD Coolers FM1/FM2 loud and marginal. And I don't have them.

Looks rosewill blackbone shows 150mm cpu limit.

The cm t4 is 153mm. So not that one. Lol

Ah well fun in river city. Deep Cool Gammax is availanlable $16.95. Anyone know the height. Assume too tall.
Gemini M4 IS $35, Gemini S524 $37. If you can fit S524 reviews seem to say avoid M4. Not sure where M5 fits? Newer model S524?
So far looks best bet unless Antec SLK1650 allows T4 Install. Have to measure. lol bought 2 beige cases with (never use) psu for $20 ea. Forget if that included shipping.
Want to use T4 for AMD cause uses pushpins for Intell. Not a fan of push pins for heavier/taller coolers

Arctic 33 review was FAIL so ignoring Arctic 12.
Amazon comments on Gammaxx say finish on cpu contact is uneven, at least on some coolers. Comments?
Has anyone used UPHERE coolers? Amazon has one at $19, comes with 92cm fan. Comments say it fit 160mm case with 1 inch to spare. Asumme they meant cm's.

I realize I am making cheapskate requests a a performance site interested in pushing limits. I expect I will give away or sell cheap these FM1 builds so hesitate to do more than use parts I probably won't have a use for.
If anyone knows a site more low cost focused please let me know (not Tom's). Thank you!

Found Spire Swirl III on sale (purported $50 cooler) for $19.95 +$5 ship. 131cm tall. May get one for the appearance if I can find decent reviews.

fwiw I started a collection of coolers from 1996-2004 era, fun to look at. Does anyone else?

Last edited:
Cooler Master T4 fits in SLK1650 case but fan orients up/down. Not sure I want that ina top mount PSU case.

I don't know why the AM2/AM3 coolers don't fit. They "should" fit fine. The mounting is all the same on them. I have an FM1 board that crapped out on me, but I used a AM3 cooler on it.

I'll try the AM2/AM3 cooler on another board. Bought Shapphire Pure Platinum A75 from a reviewer.
I wonder if he modified clips?

Worst case scenario, instead of this style retention bracket, you could swap over to this style and still be able to use the stock style HSF since it is open on the top and bottom. But AM2 through AM3+ / FM2+ all used the same stock layout.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Worth a try will order brackets. T4 does fit just do not like fan air flow direction. May use the S524 Cooler Master Geminii I have.. Noctua are pricey.

Back