Good CASUAL mmorpg?

I'ld say DDO...
It has the nicest player base I've ever been around. Very helpful people. Most of the game can be done solo, difficulty scales with amount of people in a dungeon as well as the difficulty you choose. Plus it's free and free = casual IMO why pay for something that makes you feel like you have to play it every 2 seconds in order to get your moneys worth when if it's free you play simply when you feel like it. I personally just hit level 8 (of 20). and find it to be a very fun and interesting game (I did play WoW for 2 years).

/qfft
lol, I agree with this completely with almost any game or scenario.

Runescape started off as a cesspool for 10 year old little shits. It will never be anything more than that....

Other games I have played attract a different crowd, Id have to say darkfall, and CoH were the best gaming communitys Ive ever seen.

Nearly all MMO's developed in recent years have had the intention of being casual.

Darkfall is the ESSENCE of hardcore.

DDo is free to a point. Usually the free to play mmo's will only let you get up to a certain point then nickle and dime you to go further. Still, for just casual play it's alright i guess.

Dungeons & Dragons Online (ddo.com) is free.. but gets progressivley harder to level up past level 10 due to content that must be purchased via "Turbine Points". Still they GIVE you free points just for playing, albiet a very small stripend, but it can be done. When you buy content (dungeons), you own it on that account for the life of the company across any of their servers.

Anytime you buy points, no matter how small, you'll be upgraded to "Premium" membership (4 character slots and a larger limit on the player based auction house posting). If you subscribe, you become VIP in which you get 10 toon slots and ALL the content available, plus a 500 turbine point monthly stripend.

What I like about it is that you don't FEEL obligated to keep playing because you haven't invested a monthly subscription.

And if you really get hooked on DDO, in the long run (talking about thinking of having a year plus subscription), it is CHEAPER just to buy the content outright than to have a monthly sub over the course of a year.

Still, the f2p aspect is really geared for very casual gamers.

Great post everyone, lots of good info. I may try WoW too. I really don't have much time to play, but I wanted something I could mess with maybe a few hours each week. I'm looking at GW and WoW. I really appreciate the help. :)

Any MMO is casual if you don't care that there are others that will log 18 hour days, and will be much better than you.

Everyone has a different view of casual, for me its free to play. If I have to pay for month to month service I am throwing money away unless I am playing it regularly.

Guild Wars is a lot of fun, I beat all of it solo. Eye of the North is pretty hard to do solo and with how busy I am it has taken me a long time to get as far as I have, but I can log in and out whenever I want.

More skill based instead of power leveling to level 9 million being able to use all 300 skills etc. You get 8 skills and have to use them with the rest of your team's to excel in the harder areas.

There are other good MMO's out there but none have kept my attention.

Dungeons & Dragons Online (ddo.com) is free.. but gets progressivley harder to level up past level 10 due to content that must be purchased via "Turbine Points". Still they GIVE you free points just for playing, albiet a very small stripend, but it can be done. When you buy content (dungeons), you own it on that account for the life of the company across any of their servers.

Anytime you buy points, no matter how small, you'll be upgraded to "Premium" membership (4 character slots and a larger limit on the player based auction house posting). If you subscribe, you become VIP in which you get 10 toon slots and ALL the content available, plus a 500 turbine point monthly stripend.

What I like about it is that you don't FEEL obligated to keep playing because you haven't invested a monthly subscription.

And if you really get hooked on DDO, in the long run (talking about thinking of having a year plus subscription), it is CHEAPER just to buy the content outright than to have a monthly sub over the course of a year.

Still, the f2p aspect is really geared for very casual gamers.

Get some friends and get throw away toons on all the servers, when you get 100 favor on the server (can be done in about 2-3 hours I think with a good group) you get like 200 bonus turbine points? I forget the exact amount... but if you fame favor you can get everything for free.

Third for LoTRO. Great community compared to the other games filled with crybaby 14 year olds. You won't be sorry.

Dungeons and Dragons Online,

Free game, no grind, game is all about instances that you can play with any amoutn of people at any level.

The only thing not casual about it is character creation, you can spend a lot of time coming up with builds. However the gameplay is probably the most friendly of any MMORPG due to the fact that leveling is not a chore, fun quests and instances are from beginning to end.

Perhaps you should hit up one of those free ones like Rappelz or those "come play my lord" -ads.

I'm a keen GW-er at heart though. I vouch from my Guildys that LOTR and WoW are great for some friendly action

I'd have to agree with all the other people who said WoW was casual. I think it's really casual the problem for most people tho is that it is too fun so it turns from "an hour here and and hour there" to "omgwtfroflbot I have to get home to raidddddd"

Also think that Guild Wars is a close second (played for about 2 years)

I'ld say DDO...
It has the nicest player base I've ever been around. Very helpful people. Most of the game can be done solo, difficulty scales with amount of people in a dungeon as well as the difficulty you choose. Plus it's free and free = casual IMO why pay for something that makes you feel like you have to play it every 2 seconds in order to get your moneys worth when if it's free you play simply when you feel like it. I personally just hit level 8 (of 20). and find it to be a very fun and interesting game (I did play WoW for 2 years).

My vote is Guild Wars also. I'm not big on MMOs - I've got 2 kids and some school remaining and the wife in grad school - not enough time to invest. My buddies keep trying to get me playing EVE but I just don't have the time for it.

I picked up a copy of GW for $10 for my buddy and got them to play. The 3 of us have been having plenty of fun with it. One plays WoW some of the time and they're both playing EVE now. I used to play GW all of the time a few years back before the kids where in the picture.

IMO casual means a free or virtually free MMO - otherwise you simply have to spend tons of time playing. GW you can play PvE and drop whenever and there's very little grinding type stuff required (optional for good equipment drops).

Runescape started off as a cesspool for 10 year old little shits. It will never be anything more than that....

Runescape started out as a great game, and for awhile it was free only, and that was okay, but once they started doing $5 a month subscriptions the free section really started going off the deep end but the "members" stuff was so vast, but I stopped playing when the game went to 3d (IE runescape 2) because when they did that, they fundamentally changed the combat system, then basically said fuck you to the people who still liked the old version after awhile, and not supporting it. I spent 3 years playing the old version, and got my guy up to level 113, but I could never get used to the new version, and they have done some bullshit to the same since then, that and the 12 YO noobs really took over, theirs no respect anymore.

but it was a great game.

but no MMO is trending toward a hardcore audience these days other than maybe EvE or LOTRO. Nearly all MMO's developed in recent years have had the intention of being casual.

I disagree, I consider WoW and such games to be more hardcore than most. Any game that offers no fun during leveling is not casual.

For me a casual mmo would be like star wars galaxies where you can do any kind of quest at your choosing so you dont have to run all over the place. Or like DDO where its all fun instances.

How is WoW not casual?!?! I play casual WoW for 10-18 hours a day!!!! Deep Vein Thrombosis!!!!

Back