Good Card for CS5

meltri

n00b
What is a good card for After Effects CS5?
I have core i7 but it seems the video card is the bottleneck.

Looking for average card to edit AVCHD on AE. Thanks.

Also, Is 4GB enough or I need to upgrade that also?
My system seems to be working fine for vegas but it gets very slow in Premier or AE.

What's your budget?
What PSU do you have?

4GB of RAM is the minimum. Probably should get more.

Thank you Danny for the response.
About $300 for Video Card. How much memory should I get? I only have 4GB now and it's
funny because It's really crawling I thought my PC is good enough.

Its core i7 920 with 4GB of memory. PSU is Corsair 550W
I overclocked it to 3.6. Seems to be working fine.

Why in the world are you running 4GB wtih an i7? The chip was built to handle triple channel memory. You should have at least 6GB, ie 3 ram sticks, with that cpu. And I hope you've got win7 64 bit as your OS because CS5 was designed fofr 64 bit.

Modern GTX 4xx series is better now but the best render cards still come from the NV Quadro professional line.

Thanks vjcsmoke. I just formatted it yesterday from 32 bit because I cannot install CS5. :)
Now it's running 64 bit but It's very slow unlike vegas. I'll look into GTX 4xx.

So Danny the GTX 460 is not supported by default. Hmm.
I'm reading it. Thank you for the link. So my PSU is fine right, Its Corsair 550VX
I dont need to upgrade it correct?

The 460 pulls under 200W you'll be fine. I'd also consider getting at least a 6 GB memory kit.

Will get another 2GB or 4GB set to have a total of 6/8GB.
Thanks for your help guys appreciate it.

So Danny the GTX 460 is not supported by default. Hmm.
I'm reading it. Thank you for the link. So my PSU is fine right, Its Corsair 550VX
I dont need to upgrade it correct?

Yeah that's why I provided the link: That link will let you use the GTX 460 with CS5. Yeah your current PSU is fine. Just don't OC past 3.6Ghz.

Not all I7's use triple channel memory only socket 1366 ones do he could have a 1156 I7 which is only dual channel.

Not all I7's use triple channel memory only socket 1366 ones do he could have a 1156 I7 which is only dual channel.

Good point. I forgot that they had castrated some i7s to do dual channel 1156. ;-)
What motherboard do you use OP and what is the exact model number of your CPU?
Also tell us the brand, model number, and timings of the ram you are currently using.

MB is Asus P6T. Core i7 920 D0.
It's a triple channel but I got a good deal on 4GB so I used all.
My memory is OCZ OCZ3G10664GK PC3-8500 DDR3 1066MHz Gold Edition 4GB Dual Channel Kit.

Ok the good news is the memory you have is on sale.
You can get two 4 GB kits and fill out your ram slots to 12GB for $173 with free shipping.
http://www.meritline.com/ocz-techno...500-dual-channel---p-46881.aspx?source=fghdac

That should be more than enough memory where you won't run into any slow-down. If you can't afford two kits, you can just get one and go with 8GB but it will have to run in dual channel mode then which is lower bandwidth than triple channel.

Great.Thanks! I may grab 1 kit to get a total of 8GB.
I guess 12 GB is too much for what I do.
I guess dual channel will work fine.

Great.Thanks! I may grab 1 kit to get a total of 8GB.
I guess 12 GB is too much for what I do.
I guess dual channel will work fine.

Nice choice, but for After Effects, you can never have enough. After Effects CS3 ate up 5.5GB of memory, and that was in 2008 when I used it. I'm sure CS5 will need far more than that. More = better! ;)

Nice choice, but for After Effects, you can never have enough. After Effects CS3 ate up 5.5GB of memory, and that was in 2008 when I used it. I'm sure CS5 will need far more than that. More = better! ;)

I can vouch for this. After Effects CS5 is 64bit now, so you can really eat up as much memory as you want. It's one big reason why I jumped to 24gb. Spoil yourself with that RAM preview, man ... :p

For after effects your page file settings are important. It's recommended that you set an initial size of RAM + 12 mb (so with 4gb thats 4108mb). Than a maximum size of 2x RAM (wih 4 thats 8192mb). With CS5 it is mainly GPU driven so thats why the GPU is bottlenecking things.
Also, if you like, use Media encoder to convert from AVCHD to P2. This will use less resources in some situations.

Guys,
I am so confuse now. I read some article that you need to have at least 4GB per core for CS5 to
get better performace. Now 4GB of DDR3 is expensive. Is there a mobo with 12 slots?

For anyone with after effects, what is the real bottle neck. Is it the ram or the video card?

I have core i7 but it only has 6 slots. I'd like to upgrade it with 2GB for a total of 12GB.
I'm thinking If It's better to upgrade the board itself with 12 slots.

Please tell me your experience on handling AE CS5. I use neoscene to convert all my footage to 24p.

4GB of DDR3 RAM is not that expensive:
$90 - Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$170 - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$276 - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL 3 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

There are mobos with 12 RAM slots but those are server class motherbaords. Which means that you'll have to get two new CPUs plus ECC RAM. It's significantly cheaper and less of a hassle to just get the 4GB sticks listed above.

Thanks. I might get this.
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL 3 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Is this a good brand?

Thanks. I might get this.
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL 3 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Is this a good brand?

I've never had a problem with G.Skill and have bought quite a few sticks from them. Great value and performance.

I just bought the 12GB
$276 - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL 3 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Thanks for the response guys! ;)

Congrats on your purchase. You'll definitely have a better experience with 12GB for that application. You can also sell your old ram on the FS/Trade forum or maybe pass it on to a family member if you want.

Thanks vjcsmoke. I'll try 12GB first and see if it's manageable then buy another set of 12GB.
I saw one video where he has 20GB and it's pretty quick. Still researching what card to do because most people like to get gtx 470 or 480. Need to do research for them first.

Back