Good Books on Learning Windows Server 2003 and 2008?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
What are some good books for learning about Windows Server 2003 and 2008?

Mastering Windows Server 2003 and Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, both by Mark Minasi and findable on amazon.com

I like the Sams teach yourself Windows Server in 24 hours. The Mastering Windows Server books are great but more of a reference.

Mastering Windows Server 2003 and Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, both by Mark Minasi and findable on amazon.com

I setup my first active directory domain years ago using this book (w2k3) and still running like a champ without issue.

Not sure of the technical level you are looking for.

Go to www.sysinternals.com, tons of great info and utilities to help you really understand the OS. Mark's Process Explorer is awesome.

Mark's Windows Internals series is excellent.

Last edited:
What does "learning Server 03 or 08" mean? Do you want to know how it functions from top to bottom? For that there's the likes of Windows Internals, 5th.

Or are you more interested in what features they offer and how to use them?

The Microsoft Self Paced Training kits are decent. They come with all the software you need to set up a lab and walk through the exercises at your own pace.

They'll give you a nice thousand foot view of the technologies and then you can focus on what you want to learn more of.

For around $160 you can buy the college text books which are wrote for Microsoft. They include a 1 year subscription to the online labs which are very good tools at allowing you to actually work with hosted virtual servers and configure them.

Search amazon.com for 'moac labs online' and you'll find a bunch of them. The text book number, for example 70-646, are the text numbers for the Microsoft Server certification test. You can go to Microsofts certification center, find the cert you want, then just buy the books that correspond to the test you need to pass to earn it.

Back