Good basic audio receivers?

squeakyl

Weaksauce
Hello,

I'm not very savvy with audio receivers but I need to get one for my parents home theater. They used to have a premade/bundle one from Sony and it didn't age too well, so I'm putting one together from scratch.

I'm looking for a relatively simple receiver with at least 5 speaker channels and multiple HDMI inputs. Don't need anything fancy, but need something I can set up once and not have to adjust too often. Hoping to keep the cost below 350$. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can usually pick up a Denon AVR-1713 for $350. You get the benefit of better room calibration over the 1613, plus a bit more power.

You can usually pick up a Denon AVR-1713 for $350. You get the benefit of better room calibration over the 1613, plus a bit more power.

Scratch that, they seem to be ~$300. You can pick up a manufacturer refurb for $270.

Or even a 1712 for $250.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...NON-AVR-1712-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

I don't think the 1713 offers anything compelling over the 1712 though it is only $20 more.

Strike that. I forgot the 1713 has netwoking. I think that's certainly worth $20 more.

Internet radio, AirPlay, Firmware updates, DLNA/UPnP audio and video streaming, Web UI configuration, export and import configuration via webui, and remote control of the receiver from tablets and phones.

Last edited:
Also, be sure to check your local stores for open box buys. I saw a Denon X4000 for $800 a couple of days ago without a remote or power cord. They had some others as well for about $300 with some scratches which was about $400 off the normal price.

Or even a 1712 for $250.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...NON-AVR-1712-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

I don't think the 1713 offers anything compelling over the 1712 though it is only $20 more.

Strike that. I forgot the 1713 has netwoking. I think that's certainly worth $20 more.

Internet radio, AirPlay, Firmware updates, DLNA/UPnP audio and video streaming, Web UI configuration, export and import configuration via webui, and remote control of the receiver from tablets and phones.

Careful! The 1712 is a 7.1 receiver while the 1713 is only 5.1. They are also roughly the same price after you factor in shipping for the 1712. Also, the 1712 has Audyssey MultEQ XT which isn't available again until the Denon AVR-2112CI. Though the 2113CI is the better deal since it's the same price as the 2112CI at $350, but with free shipping.

I see no reason to go with the 1713 over the 1712 unless networking at a low price is that important. If it is, then you may want to consider the Onkyo HT-RC440 at $150+S/H.

Otherwise I'd say the best options are the Denon AVR-1712 at $250+S/H or the Denon AVR-2113CI at $350 shipped. Now you just have to determine for yourself if a little extra power and networking is worth the ~$80 increase.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm still trudging through a pile of options.

I saw that on woot.com today the Pioneer vsx 1023k is up for 300$, does anyone have any experience with this model?

Nice receiver, but I've found MCACC to be an inferior room/speaker calibration tool in comparison to Audyssey MultiEQ XT. If that's not important to you, the Pioneer is not at all a bad choice. The 2113CI Smythe recommends above is even better.

Nice receiver, but I've found MCACC to be an inferior room/speaker calibration tool in comparison to Audyssey MultiEQ XT. If that's not important to you, the Pioneer is not at all a bad choice. The 2113CI Smythe recommends above is even better.

Well the problem with Audyssey once you perform calibration and the end result doesn't suit your taste. You won't be able to take advantage of dynamic volume and EQ with manual EQ enabled. Which leaves you with Night mode low / mid /high. I believe it's quite the opposite with a Pioneer with MCACC.

Back