Good bandwidth monitoring tool?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by skot, Dec 2, 2004.

1. skot

skot Limp Gawd

Hi all,

I work as a voice and data consultant and we often need to know what the bandwidth utilization of our clients are, however getting this information from the service providers is often difficult and takes awhile.

My question to all of you is, do you know of any good bandwidth-monitoring tool? What we would like to do is have something installed on a laptop that we could take to our clientÂ’s location and set up that would generate some utilization charts.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Darthkim

Darthkim Limp Gawd

What kind of utilization do you want? Throughput? Protocol distribution?
    This will dictate what you need to get.

You should be able to get a RMON probe to get most of the info.

Sniffers also will be able to get that information for you.

A free one is Ethereal.

Commercial ones includes Network General Sniffer, Wildpackets Etherpeek, Eeye Iris.

3. skot

skot Limp Gawd

I'm looking more for throughput. Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check them out. Are there any free ones that will give throughput? I'm not familiar with RMON, so I'll have to check that out also.

Thanks again!

4. DiscardME

DiscardME [H]Lite

MRTG

Multi Router Traffic Grapher - it is open source and can be made to monitor anything that allows SNMP or WMI.

EDIT: Link HERE

5. draconius

draconius 2[H]4U

What operating systems will you be working with?
    What kind of network access will you have? (IE to the core router, where you can mirror data to another port or switch, or on a switch that you can mirror traffic? or what...)

I have a few good suggestions but I fear that nonne of them may be applicable in your situation (cacti, nagios come to mind, but the ones already listed are pretty good too )