good anti-spyware and anti-virus software

pcfan10110

Limp Gawd
^^topic

Is Norton Internet security a good program b/c I am looking for a good program that likes 2 firewalls

digital_exhaust said:
Can't comment on NIS, but alot of people around here speak very highly of NOD32, and as a free alternative, you might want to look at AVG Free.

Well I've been using NIS for the past year (version 2007) and so far I tried NOD32 and it said that my system is squeaky clean! :D But why so much hate for Norton or Symantec products for that matter?

pcfan10110 said:
^^topic

Is Norton Internet security a good program b/c I am looking for a good program that likes 2 firewalls

Why 2 firewalls? Hardware + software I gather? Whats wrong with just a hardware?

Apparently, some seem to feel that NIS is a bit of a resource hog.
Like I said, I don't really have alot of experience with Norton, but I know what you mean, alot of people sure seem to rag on it..

I would suggest that you use AVG-Free and Spybot S&D / Ad-ware SE

And you should be set.

gta95 said:
Why 2 firewalls? Hardware + software I gather? Whats wrong with just a hardware?

Because as has been discussed here multiple times they protect different things and in different ways.

Short version is software can be compromised if the machine is infected, but hardware (99.9% of the SOHO routers) can't block outgoing connections.

The two best antivirus products..
NOD32 and Kapersky.
NOD32 is very light, Kaperskys recent version lightened up quite a bit more than their older versions.

Norton/Symantec...ugh. Not strong in detection of ad/spyware either, in addition to making your PC feel like a Pentium 75 with 16 megs of RAM.

If you insist on a software firewall also...Kapersky makes a whole internet protection suite. NOD32 does not yet..but their upcoming version 3 will have that option.

AVG hasn't been doing well in AV tests lately, since version 6. Myself..I've cleaned up lots of machines that were protected by AVG...seen lots of stuff it should have stopped.

In the meantime...for a great software firewall for the home user...stand alone, check out Comodo. Continuously updated, lightweight, has done very well in tests, intuitive, and is free.

For a top notch anti ad/spyware program, check out SuperAntispyware. Recent product...free...I've used it lots of times now on infected machine...VERY good at cleaning. Many many times seen it get rid of some of the heavy spyware bad guys that the old standbys of Spybot and Adaware couldn't even scratch the surface of.

YeOldeStonecat said:
The two best antivirus products..
NOD32 and Kapersky.
NOD32 is very light, Kaperskys recent version lightened up quite a bit more than their older versions.

Norton/Symantec...ugh. Not strong in detection of ad/spyware either, in addition to making your PC feel like a Pentium 75 with 16 megs of RAM.

If you insist on a software firewall also...Kapersky makes a whole internet protection suite. NOD32 does not yet..but their upcoming version 3 will have that option.

AVG hasn't been doing well in AV tests lately, since version 6. Myself..I've cleaned up lots of machines that were protected by AVG...seen lots of stuff it should have stopped.

In the meantime...for a great software firewall for the home user...stand alone, check out Comodo. Continuously updated, lightweight, has done very well in tests, intuitive, and is free.

For a top notch anti ad/spyware program, check out SuperAntispyware. Recent product...free...I've used it lots of times now on infected machine...VERY good at cleaning. Many many times seen it get rid of some of the heavy spyware bad guys that the old standbys of Spybot and Adaware couldn't even scratch the surface of.

THX guys!

I already made my decision to to use NIS2007 and the NVfirewall feature to utilize. My pc is actually behind 2 physical Firewalls and 1 software firewall so my protection status 99.8% effective. No worries! THX again! :D

2 Firewalls and Norton? You must have a lot of RAM to spare.

AVG free, Spybot/Ad-Aware and Zone Alarm = works for me.

Symantec and McAfee are piggish programs and tend to blow up and abort themselves every now and then. If I charged a premium for all the computers I fixed by manually haxing out the garbage these two companies 'security' suites install on poor unsuspecting folks machines, replaced with NOD32 and promptly been told 'its better and faster then when I took it out of the box!' - I would be super loaded. Maybe I should consider that?

As far as the security suite being added to NOD32, I am nervous. I like it the way it is currently. I hope they don't barf it up :(

McAfee Enterprise with sypware plugin

Uses low resources and I have never had a popup or virus and I donwload alot of stuff.

well being a bit of a cheap bastard...I can reccomend the following products for FREE and seem to run decent on lowend gear..

antiVir antivirus. German...free...I only use my anti virus when I think I have a problem..or about once a month..which ever comes first

Firewall..I use Sunbelt Kerio...i leave that one running in the tray..i'm also behind a hardware firewall. I get the occaisional block..but tnot much gets past my hardware firewall. i dont use the windows firewall in XP either.

Superantispyware..Free..and finds all of it..it has dug stuff out that Adaware..spybot and all left behind. Even if they charged for the basic version I would get it. Best one I have used. Very good..and very nice UI too.

All of these products are free for personal use..all update themselves which I find is very nice. And all work very good for me. YMMV

Ghettobox

Back