Good AMD mobo/cpu combo with DDR3

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
So my gigabyte mobo just died, it was pairted to a i7 4770

I think its time to try AMD, but I have 32gb of DDR3 ram and DDR4 doesn't really make that much of a difference IMO.

Any recomendations? Am I better selling off the ram and getting Zen3?

The Ryzen memory controller is part of the CPU, and it's a DDR4 memory controller.

thing is I can't really spend $1,000+ dlls on an upgrade right now.

Memory is cheap now. It shouldn't be a major factor. Also do you really need 32gb? And yes DDR4 makes a difference. Ryzen is very depended on memory speed and would cripple a new system. You could build a system that will stomp your current system for under $600. No need to spend $1000+. Like others said you could just buy a new MB off eBay and been done with it on the cheap if that system does everything you need still.

If you reuse everything but the cpu / mobo / ram = then get the Ryzen 3 3100 which has gained to $114 and there are a lot of B550 Boards now from $90 to $160 that are very good and just watch a Hardware UnBoxed video in them .. then pick up some DDR4 16Gb = 3600Mhz around $60 and around $300 for a taste of Zen 2 ,

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/23322361 It was a replacement for my Ryzen 5 1400

Last edited:
So my gigabyte mobo just died, it was pairted to a i7 4770

I think its time to try AMD, but I have 32gb of DDR3 ram and DDR4 doesn't really make that much of a difference IMO.

Any recomendations? Am I better selling off the ram and getting Zen3?
All Zen platforms absolutely require DDR4 RAM. There are absolutely no Zen platforms at all whatsoever that supported DDR3 RAM. AMD went straight to DDR4-only when it introduced the first-generation Zen CPU line. Also, the last Excavator (fourth-gen Bulldozer) desktop parts, which were really APUs with their integrated graphics disabled, used DDR4 RAM as well, and were compatible with the first two generations of Ryzen-compatible chipsets.

And because Zen platorms are (relatively speaking) sensitive to changes in the memory bandwidth, your current DDR3 RAM will choke much of the performance life out of any of the Zen CPUs.

For that matter, none of Intel's 8th- or newer-generation CPUs support DDR3 at all (if one excludes the Chinese-market-only H315 chipset for the 8th- and 9th-Gen, which supported DDR3 RAM via a translator).

To be honest at this point there are no good AMD processors with DDR3 support. I'd buy another board for your CPU.

Theres plenty of *good* options, just none that are faster than a 4770 (or even a 2500K).

A Phenom 2 X2 555 or an X4 960T would be fun to play around with if youve never owned Ph2 before, grab an 890GX ASUS motherboard and youll be golden.

Otherwise, the cheapest option would just be to replace your existing mobo and run your 4770. Assuming those let you "overclock" it to the max turbo multi, even at 4ghz it should still be fast enough for regular 1080P games.

Reactions: E4g1e
like this
Agreed on an absolute scale, given that the OP is stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. In the used market Socket LGA 1150 motherboards are selling for a lot more money than what they're currently worth. Why spend more money for a performance downgrade with such older parts?

And with 32 GB of DDR4 RAM going for around $125-ish these days, it's simply a no-brainer to just ditch Haswell completely and buy a newer CPU platform. But with it the OP must deal with what to do with the broken old motherboard and the older CPU and memory parts. 32 GB of DDR3 RAM of even JEDEC slow speeds and relatively high CAS latency timings, on the other hand, now costs almost as much money these days as an equivalent amount of high-end, ultra-overclocked DDR4 RAM because hardly any new PCs use this type of RAM any more, and the few people who buy them are merely sprucing up their older desktop PCs.

And a new platform that includes the RAM, CPU and motherboard does not have to cost $1,000 total just to improve upon the performance of your current Haswell platform. A very good example of this is a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, an MSI B550-A Pro motherboard and 32 GB of DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM cost just under $600 combined. The OP can then use his existing GPU and disks to hold him over until he saves up for a new GPU.

Last edited:
I think it really depends on how much hassle you are up for. If you sell the 4770 and DDR3 you could probably upgrade to an entry lvl ryzen system for just a couple hundred dollars out of pocket.

If you don't want to deal with buyers, then just buy an overpriced 1150 mobo and be done with it. Use it until you save up the funds for a full upgrade.

Back