good alternative to z5500 - want A LOT of bass

unknown00

n00b
lol i love how many people hate the z5500 here. i've heard it and love it. anyways, i really really want the logitech z5500, but prices just keep rising and a lot of other pple are recommending me to just get a multimedia package or monitors instead. i currently use the logitech z2300 and i love it too. its lasted me 4 years and it's kinda dying out so i NEED to upgrade

so it's gonna be in a bedroom, so 2.1 or 5.1 it doesn't matter. it's gonna be used for mainly MUSIC. i am a professional DJ and produce music sometimes too, so it must allow RCA and/or the regular 1/8" too. i want a BIG SUB. i want LOTS of DEEP HARD bass. price...$300 max. if i am going over $300 i'm just gonna buy the z5500

***IMPORTANT*** don't question how i am a DJ and produce music on a freakin z2300/z5500. if it bothers you that much just ignore i said it and think its just for music. please stick on topic

thanks in advance everyone!

If you have heard it and love it, buy it.

If you can stretch your budget at all you could get a receiver, some shitty monitors, and a nice sub with tons of bass, bra.

You could probably get a z-5500 set on eBay for under $300 if you're patient. The z-5300 set can be had for about $100.

Using the term professional DJ a little loosely aren't ya?
no sir. i consider myself a professional, though i don't do it for a living. i'm still a full-time college student. spinning for crowds over 1000+, opening up for celebrities like pddidy 2 weekends ago, mixing in same places as top 10 DJs in the world (tiesto, van dyke, just did aoki couple weeks ago), i consider myself a professional. if that's not being a professional, then i don't know what is lol

please stick on topic please

lol...prepare to get flamed for that last comment

if any of this is true and your opening for "celebs" and you cannot afford anything but logicrap you're doing something wrong.

Does or did Logitech make a 2.1 version of the Z-5500?

tiestolulz

ok on topic user Cerwinvega gave the best advice. Truth is you will not get 'deep' hard bass with anything with that budget. You will however get some deep muddy dirty fart sounding bass unless you spend a bit more.

no sir. i consider myself a professional, though i don't do it for a living. .....

if that's not being a professional, then i don't know what is lol

uhhhh....someone who does it for a living? Not really dissing you but that is the technical definition of the word "professional". Maybe you wanted to say "expert"?

Anyway, as everyone says, if you like it, buy it. It sounds like the Z5500 was made for you. A whole lot of BFB (Big F*ing Bass) and cheap price.

Anyway, as everyone says, if you like it, buy it. It sounds like the Z5500 was made for you. A whole lot of BFB (Big F*ing Bass) and cheap price.

Yup, lots of bass. Big, loud, muddy, shitty bass. But hey, there's lots of it.

For $300, you're not going to get anything that has any better bass, though.

CerwinVega! VE5's are relatively cheap, hook them up to an amp and you're laughing for power and bass, jsut get a sub as well at somepoint.

Unknown00,

You said you opened to Aoki a couple weeks ago? Any chance you're in Edmonton (not sure when he came here but I heard he was here recently).

If so I'll sell you my old Z560 set for $150 :p

Yup, lots of bass. Big, loud, muddy, shitty bass. But hey, there's lots of it.

For $300, you're not going to get anything that has any better bass, though.

So true, luckily I only paid $175 for my Z-5500 system. I still feel somewhat ripped off :S

If you live in an apartment building, they are probably worst choice of speakers.

Either way, steer clear of them.

Z-5500 Owner here.

I have a set of z5500 that used to be my main computer speakers and now they are actually my living room surround sound system. Does my 5.1 DTS and dolby from my Tivo and PS3 from blu-rays great. It's an awesome system for the price bar none. What's with the haters, dang.

I have a set of z5500 that used to be my main computer speakers and now they are actually my living room surround sound system. Does my 5.1 DTS and dolby from my Tivo and PS3 from blu-rays great. It's an awesome system for the price bar none. What's with the haters, dang.

My friend go a pair of BX5A's last week coupled with a sub. After listening to his system play music then coming home to listen to music on my Z-5500, it's depressing.

LOL. Most musicians I know have crap audio gear. One of my friends that's also in college and does DJing on the side also has z5500s.

Unknown00, I'd consider the M-Audio BX5a, I'm not sure if the bass is enough for you - you'll need to listen to it and decide for yourself.

EDIT: Wow...didn't know B&H is banned. http://www.compuplus.com/Speakers/M-Audio-Studiophile-BX5A-Deluxe-1021597.html <- $190+ship

Also consider getting a receiver, 2 speakers, and a sub.

Youll get the most bass/$ with the Logitechs. It's hard to beat unless you buy used. The Z5500 or Z2300 definitely has alot of bass, but it doesnt really extend particularly low. It starts cutting off at around 40hz.

LOL. Most musicians I know have crap audio gear. One of my friends that's also in college and does DJing on the side also has z5500s.

Unknown00, I'd consider the M-Audio BX5a, I'm not sure if the bass is enough for you - you'll need to listen to it and decide for yourself.

EDIT: Wow...didn't know B&H is banned. http://www.compuplus.com/Speakers/M-Audio-Studiophile-BX5A-Deluxe-1021597.html <- $190+ship

Any idea how BX5a compare to Swan D1080MKII 08?

I wonder when Logitech is going to make the successor to these. I noticed a lot of people hate them but I've heard them before and I like them a lot.

Well, here's a 2.1 idea for about $295+shipping on the monitors:

Alesis M1 Active (powered) 520 monitor pair $175+ship (Only one pair left as of writing...)

Dayton 12" sub $120 w/ free shipping. Backordered until march, unfortunately, but it's hard to get a big sub for a price this low usually. Alternately, there's this 12" subwoofer for about 100+shipping. Never heard of that brand, though

So true... my roomate is a music major at a school near mines and he owns a real cheap pair of logitech 2.1's. Pretty much the only thing you can hear is the shitty subwoofer.

Then again.. he's studying to be a band teacher, not a performer...

I used to have the Z5500s and I actually liked them, but I didn't have the need for 6 total speakers and wanted to move to a stereo-only setup. I sold off the Z5500s and bought a pair of BX5As, which people said had a lot of bass.

Nope.

These speakers had NO bass at all. I figured as much, given that they have 1 5" woofer and a 1" tweeter, but they were all mids and highs and zero lows, especially since I was used to the Z5500's bass. I was disappointed to say the least, but I was not giving up on the idea totally.

I found a Fostex 8" studio sub for a reasonable price and I put that into the mix. WOW did things change! The whole system sounds a million-times better and I can appreciate the BX5As for what they are. I was able to do the entire transition for very little money out of pocket since I sold the Z5500s and bought the BX5As for $150 new and the sub for $170 new.

My advice is to sell what you have and either buy a pair of powered monitors or a receiver and some bookshelf speakers. My recommendation for bookshelf speakers would be the carbon-fiber Insignias that everyone loves around here, since they're good for the money and pretty cheap. As for the receiver I like the 2 channel Pioneer Elite, but you can find a million different receivers out there.

Build out your system into affordable pieces and you'll ultimately end up with a nice and kinda-pricey system. I just wanted a pair of speakers and ultimately got a sub, cabling, power conditioner, Mopads, a new soundcard, etc. and kind of want to step up to a 10" studio sub.

Alternatively if you like the Z5500s just buy them. Your eyes and ears know what they like, so trust them :)

I think the z5500 has a good niche. Its like the sound equivalent of an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant. You get a lot of stuff (5 speakers, big boomy bass), and unlike a company that rhymes with "hose", you get it at a decent price. So this is quantity over quality. Like buffets, you get a lot of stuff, not anything being particularly amazing.

For someone who definitely wants 5 channel, big boomy base, good adaptation to PC gaming, easy hookup, and decent support, it fits the bill well.

If you want the most *quality* bass for your money, like others have already posted, then purchasing a dedicated sub woofer and adding it to your existing set up would be the best alternative. Something like a STF-2 HSU sub for $320 would add quality bass if connected to the .1 output of your soundcard and if you configure your sound driver to direct bass from the front speakers to the .1 channel as well.

However, since you *are* a DJ, and if you want to simulate what you get at venues... then any old crap will do, because one just cannot have nice, tight, clean bass in a large room with multiple sources and uncontrolled reflective surfaces. Just get the the logitech speakers that you want, they'll be good enough.

If you're in a dorm, or shared living quarters, I'd suggest you nix the sub idea, since all you'll be doing is annoying your housemates when "practicing" and spend the $300 on a nice set of DJ headphones.

bbf Has had the best idea yet imo.Instead of buying a speaker setup for $300 that would be less than what you want you should grab a nice set of headphones for DJing.For $300 you can get yourself a really nice pair with some nice accurate bass that I'm sure will sound out of this world in comparison to what your used to.

Why do you want so much bass? I have an alright subwoofer, and when I'm playing games it interferes with my mouse thanks to my desk shaking. Just something to keep in mind. I'd say go with the z5500s, you don't need anything extreme. If you have to, just buy another sub and split the signal coming out of your sound card so you get the center going to the logitech amps and the sub going to the new subwoofer.

Back